bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Kindle, prolly not a P.O.S.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
chris
Site Admin

Kindle, prolly not a P.O.S.  Reply with quote  

But Kind of a POS

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mllefifi

Chris, remind me not to buy a Kindle.

What's P.O.S.? There are tons of definitions at http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/POS

But what's this about being napstered out of a job?

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

mllefifi wrote:

What's P.O.S.? There are tons of definitions at http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/POS

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=POS

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sephonae

Thanks for the Kindle review, AG, most informative. I agree that the future holds e-books as the rule, though I do hope it's not for some time, as it's just more comfortable for my eyes to read off a page than a monitor.

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mllefifi

chris wrote:
mllefifi wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=POS

Oh, I see now: "Positively Outstanding Service." Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
leprrkan

Don't give in, resist the eBook movement!

I'll second the question about being Napstered out, what's that mean?

I like that the accompanying photos were done in a comic book motif Very Happy

- "Bones"

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lavandula Girl

I like my tree-killing, paper paged books. A Kindle, or whatever non-POS form comes next, will look so lonely on my massive amounts of bookshelves. Crying or Very sad

(PS -I'm assuming Napstered Out refers to people who make their living selling a media product, who become the victims of file sharing. Ergo, AG would be Napstered Out of a job if people don't buy his ebooks, and will have to live in various and sundry garages.)

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Lavandula Girl wrote:
I like my tree-killing, paper paged books. A Kindle, or whatever non-POS form comes next, will look so lonely on my massive amounts of bookshelves. Crying or Very sad

(PS -I'm assuming Napstered Out refers to people who make their living selling a media product, who become the victims of file sharing. Ergo, AG would be Napstered Out of a job if people don't buy his ebooks, and will have to live in various and sundry garages.)

You are correct, Madame!

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lavandula Girl

chris wrote:

You are correct, Madame!

Yay! I don't hear this very often. Now... off to find my umbrella, as I believe pigs shit even when flying.

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sugarraydodge

The kindle: I think that this thing is a good idea, but it is a couple generations away from being perfected. I think backlighting the thing is a must. And, I think it should be in full color, but that's just me. I agree about the page numbering thing and there should be a better way to hold the damn thing.

Book piracy: I don't think this is as big a deal as music piracy. The author and the publisher both have control over the text, and as long as they only release it in some kind of encrypted format, I think books are safe from piracy. But if they start willy-nilly sending everything out in .doc and .pdf form, then, yeah, there will be a huge problem. There is probably I don't know about the situation, but from the outside looking in, that's my take on it.

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mllefifi

But there is book piracy going on, nevertheless.

As I think I mentioned on the Boardello before, the Russian versions of three of the AGs books have been -- and still are (as of today, 'cause I checked just now) -- available on the web, in online html and in downloadable text files, all pirated.

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

sugarraydodge wrote:
The kindle: I think that this thing is a good idea, but it is a couple generations away from being perfected. I think backlighting the thing is a must. And, I think it should be in full color, but that's just me. I agree about the page numbering thing and there should be a better way to hold the damn thing.

Book piracy: I don't think this is as big a deal as music piracy. The author and the publisher both have control over the text, and as long as they only release it in some kind of encrypted format, I think books are safe from piracy. But if they start willy-nilly sending everything out in .doc and .pdf form, then, yeah, there will be a huge problem. There is probably I don't know about the situation, but from the outside looking in, that's my take on it.

SR:

I don't even know how to program and I'll bet I could break the encryption in less then 24 hours. If it can be shown on a screen, it can be run through an Optical Character Recognition software that can read it and write it to a PDF file. You'd just have to automate that process. (Even the most heavily encrypted DVDs can be copied if converted to an analog signal, ie. shown on a screen.) With print, the issues of picture resolution and sound quality found in music and film are completely removed. The only reason it's not an issue is that there is no "reading IPOD". As soon as the Kindle or the some other device hits the sweet spot of price, quality, and convienence, I'm back to waiting tables. Like I said, I'll have a whole blog on this soon.

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

mllefifi wrote:
But there is book piracy going on, nevertheless.

As I think I mentioned on the Boardello before, the Russian versions of three of the AGs books have been -- and still are (as of today, 'cause I checked just now) -- available on the web, in online html and in downloadable text files, all pirated.

And to that point, I make about $600 per book (yes, the whole print run, not one copy) in Russia. Period. Despite it being one of the largest countries in the world. I make, well, let's say, significantly more, in non-pirated countries. I don't expect readers will act in the interest of successful authors, once pirating has taken off here, I'm just sort of sighing and whining. I've been lucky enough to make my living doing something I love for 18 years. Not many people get to do that. I'm good.

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Goudron

As much as I hate to waste paper, and I can't stand people who print emails at work just for the sake of reading it in their hands, for some tasks you need to have multiple books open at once.

Reading for pleasure, sure 1 book at a time is great. When studying for an exam, or composing an essay on something or just doing some figurin' - I need to have paper and books sprawled all over the place to supplement whatever I can cram onto my screen.

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
leprrkan

Chris you can never be a homeless AG, 'cause I'm not sure how many of us have garages you could live in... you'd be reduced to selling yourself to tourists with low morals, but if you're ok with that then have at it, my friend Very Happy

- "Bones"

Last edited by leprrkan on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: