Christopher Moore Home Page

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

City of the Dead Slides
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
chris
Site Admin

City of the Dead Slides  Reply with quote  

Hmmm, I'll try to figure this web slide show thing out....

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lavandula Girl

I've always liked walking through the cemetery looking at the the statues... gotta say, though, whilst I listened to your piano accompaniment, I heard the Smiths in my head. Keats and Yeats are on your side, while Wilde is on mine.

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Lavandula Girl wrote:
I've always liked walking through the cemetery looking at the the statues... gotta say, though, whilst I listened to your piano accompaniment, I heard the Smiths in my head. Keats and Yeats are on your side, while Wilde is on mine.

I know. I wanted to put Gary Jules cover of Mad World, but you have to use public domain music. I'll link to the long version soon and there's no music at all on that slide show server.

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wingnut

Yet another reason to go back to Italy...I totally missed out on that the last time!

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
mllefifi

Very nice pics, Chris.

If you like Satie and Debussy, you might like Ravel and Poulenc, too (they're a little later).

Debussy wrote tons of piano music (one big set of pieces is the "Preludes"), but other kinds as well, including orchestral and opera.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
JustAGirl

Awesome slide show! I wonder how much the sculpture cost and whether or not some of pre-made? The grave featuring Medusa was surprising!

Could there be some friendly competition? Like, "Did you see what the Marconi family put on Antonio's grave? We'll have to do better than that?" Or maybe some trash talking like, "I can't believe the Donafrio's put that eyesore on Sophia's grave! It's a disgrace."

I liked the simple ones the best - my favorite was an angel sitting with one knee up, her arm casually resting on her knee and her chin in her palm.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:01 am   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

The catacombs in Paris have an inscription above a doorway that reads in latin or French (can't remember which) something like "Welcome to the city of the dead". It's a cool place.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
18Rabbit

For some reason our corporate internet has branded MySpace as verboten so I'll have to wait till I get back home to check it out. Mad

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:51 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

JustAGirl wrote:
Awesome slide show! I wonder how much the sculpture cost and whether or not some of pre-made? The grave featuring Medusa was surprising!

Could there be some friendly competition? Like, "Did you see what the Marconi family put on Antonio's grave? We'll have to do better than that?" Or maybe some trash talking like, "I can't believe the Donafrio's put that eyesore on Sophia's grave! It's a disgrace."

I liked the simple ones the best - my favorite was an angel sitting with one knee up, her arm casually resting on her knee and her chin in her palm.

I get the feeling it's very-much a status thing. And with Milan being a fashion capital, and so much conspicuous status-seeking, it's not really a surprise that families would compete on grave monuments. I didn't get the feeling any of these were bought off the shelf. I suppose some of the religious ones could be, but I started to ignore those after a while because many of them just weren't interesting. I hit the Madonna and Pieta tolerance wall after about four hours in Italy.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Joelibris

This made me think of the nicest grave I've personally seen back in Davenport: The grave of a 8 year old boy who died of influenza back during WWI. A simple marker, and a statue of a sorrowful golden retriever lying next to it. I'll have to get my sis to send me a picture to post on here.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lavandula Girl

Joelibris wrote:
This made me think of the nicest grave I've personally seen back in Davenport: The grave of a 8 year old boy who died of influenza back during WWI. A simple marker, and a statue of a sorrowful golden retriever lying next to it. I'll have to get my sis to send me a picture to post on here.

Okay, I'm probably just having a crappy day, and a girly moment wrapped together, but this made me tear up just a little.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message
JustAGirl

That's very poignant, isn't it?

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

JustAGirl wrote:
That's very poignant, isn't it?

That reminds me: this morning on C-SPAN's Washington Journal one of the guests (not a caller) pronounced that word with a hard "g." My ears almost exploded.

Last edited by mllefifi on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
MrEMann

I missed the piano Sad

I keep my computer muted almost always. But I will say that both shows went spendidly well with Pendulum's Propane Nighmares and Slam which is what I was listening to. :/ I'll have to go back and listen to the piano now.

Great pics, I love cemeteries!

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Rob

Awesome  Reply with quote  

Beautiful one-of-a-kind originals. How far and between do the dates on the sculptures vary? ( I'm assuming this is all one cemetery, because I'm ignorant of the region) - but the work is amazing. I've always said that golf courses and cemeteries were both a mindless waste of good land - but if they all looked like this one, I would reconsider my wish of being cremated and having at least a small portion of my ashes integrated into an hourglass - that way folks can just set me on top of the t.v. and turn me over every know and then so I can still be doin' something.

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: