Christopher Moore Home Page

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

What I read on my Spring Vacation
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
18Rabbit

What I read on my Spring Vacation  Reply with quote  

So are you saying that the Kindle sucks or that the second book in the series sucks?

I've heard loads of good things about the Yiddish policeman's story, maybe I'll make that my next book since I just wrapped up the last one.

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

The Kindle. But thanks for pointing that out. I need to make that clear.

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

I've been meaning to read Pullman's books since I went to see the movie with Jane during her winter (spring?) break. She really loved the series and wasn't displeased with the movie, enjoyed it even though it wasn't as complete as the book. Jane also wasn't wild about the Harry Potter series and quit after the third book.

So I have to see if she'll lend me her complete set of the Pullman books that I gave her for her birthday. I'm trustworthy.

I've also been considering the Chabon but don't happen to have a copy. I've been trying not to spend any money on anything, but I've got an order started on amazon and this will probably bring me up to the free shipping level. Yay!

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Joelibris

Chris, I hope you read all three books in the series before you see the movie. It's pretty faithful story wise, but they did tweak a few things. Also, you got the British edition, as the UK is the only place it was released as "Northern Lights", and not "Golden Compass".

News flash: The 4th book in the series, "The Book of Dust" comes out in '09, or '10.

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JennyO

That's my favorite of Chabon's too. It's fantastic. I have to admit, I have Gentlemen of the Road here still unread, but I can't imagine it taking the place of The Yiddish Policemen's Union. I pushed that book on everyone I know who reads last year.

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Notdeadyet

The Yiddish Policeman's Union rocks.
And yes JennyO or Suetu put it on the Reading Suggestion list so I read it.
You PEOPLE and TIMMY HO's like CRACK DEALERs YOU ARE! Laughing

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message
permanentlyperplexed

Joelibris wrote:
Chris, I hope you read all three books in the series before you see the movie. It's pretty faithful story wise, but they did tweak a few things. Also, you got the British edition, as the UK is the only place it was released as "Northern Lights", and not "Golden Compass".

News flash: The 4th book in the series, "The Book of Dust" comes out in '09, or '10.

he's writing a fourth one! Shocked Surprised Very Happy
it is my lot in life to meet every ass hole on the planet and admire them for some quality that they possess that most others do not see b/c they can not see beyond the ass holiness ~permanently perplexed

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
leprrkan

I don't even like Italian cooking, Batali or any of that stuff and I thought "Heat" was an absolutly fantastic book. It was like watching Hell's Kitchen but not being distracted by the veins throbbing in Ramsey's head.

- "Bones"

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zendao42

permanentlyperplexed wrote:
Joelibris wrote:

he's writing a fourth one! Shocked Surprised Very Happy

Well, there's another one for the must-read list... Very Happy

Dammit, all you book pushers are gonna make me broke! Wink

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:13 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

zendao42 wrote:
[...] Dammit, all you book pushers are gonna make me broke! Wink

Save some money: use the library once in a while. Cool Wink

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:51 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Notdeadyet

Can I just say that even those of us who use the library religiously cannot resist the allure of being the first to have the brand new shiny shiny book! Very Happy

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:32 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

Notdeadyet wrote:
Can I just say that even those of us who use the library religiously cannot resist the allure of being the first to have the brand new shiny shiny book! Very Happy

I do make that exception for the AG, Taco Bob, and knikkki.

Wink

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:42 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
joeythesquash

"Italian guys never shut up. Ever. If they are awake and there's not food in their mouths, they are talking."

HA! Sounds like you ran into a few of my relatives. Except for that part about how they stop talking when they're eating. No, not really.

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:49 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
knikkki

I saw Golden Compass first, then read the books, thought both were great. The second book was my favorite, the third book was my least favorite.

Yiddish is coming up very soon on my TBR list.

Glad you got to do some reading for fun ... I'm totally adding Heat to my pile. If it's about food, I'm in.

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lisa M

I am going to be penniless soon if you & Carl Hiaasen don't stop recommending books. Even with my B&N emploee discount.

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:23 am   View user's profile Send private message

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: