Christopher Moore Home Page

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> The Author Guy Boardello Cookbook

Ostrich Egg bacon and spinich quiche

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
BeerGnome

Ostrich Egg bacon and spinich quiche  Reply with quote  

quiche.

it's a funny word isn't it?

y'know.. they say real men don't eat quiche.. I don't know who "they" are but the line sounds like an attack on sexuality or masculinity..

but let me be the first to say... I have never seen a single quiche at any gay dinner or luncheon I have ever attended.

theres always a carrot cake.. but never a quiche.. no one has ever been able to explain this.. even the gay people.. they may be holding out on me..

but I'm not here to talk about gay people and their carrot cakes.. I'm here to talk about a big fucking egg.

Now I realize my last little cooking blog thing was about making Pickled eggs.. I assure you that this is all happenstance, it could very well be that my biological clock is ticking and I need to get laid so there is a facination with eggs, but male menopause, much like the female orgasm, is a myth.

I happened to come accross an ostrich egg.. how? well, it cost me $20 and an inordinate amount of shame, but that's not important now.. waht's important right now is that is that I have an ostrich egg..

pretty fucking big egg huh?

according to the American Ostrich Association website, and I am so joining that message board, an Ostrich egg is on average 6-8 inches long about 3.5 lbs, contains the equivalent volume of 2.5 dozen chicken eggs, and can feed a family of four.
if one were to hard boil an ostrich egg, it would take about 1.5 hours to do so
also, while the ostrich egg is the largest egg in the world, it is actually the smallest egg relative to the birds body size! the humming bird actually has the largest egg relitave to body size! pretty neat huh?

yeah I know.. whatever..

so.. when asked mulitple times.. "what the hell are you going to do with it?" my respnce was "I'm going to EAT this bitch! that's what the hell I'm going to do with it! whazzup!?

so tonights recipea is for a simple quiche.. Spinich and bacon.. but everything is scaled up for the shear volume of egg were dealing with.

1 average ostrich egg
1 small carton light cream
1 8 ounce package shredded sharp cheddar.
1 pound of bacon, minced, sauted, and drained, not crisped!
1.5 cups of frozen chopped spinich, zapped in the micro just long enough that they are on the cusp of being defrosted, about a minute.
2 9 inch pie crusts

first things first.. getting into the damn thing..

you gotta remember that an ostrich egg is designed by nature to not be crushed by a 300 pound birds ass sitting on it.. the shell is pretty much like porcilian. a lot of folks call for the shell to be drilled and blowed out.. some people call for it to be sawed open.. in my case.. I dropped it two inches on a sharp corner of the counter.. and it cracked open all on its own.. as soon as I got the shell comprimised, I was able to prize it open over a bowl...
as you can see, it looks like any other egg, theres just a lot of it..

now, to that bowl, I added all the other stuff in the list, except the bacon.. and whisked it all together..

if you add the pie crust stuff.. then you've fucked up, you should have formed those into two 9" pie tins, and baked in the oven at 425 for 12 minutes, or, until golden brown. drop the heat to 325 when done with the shells and set them aside.

the quiche batter should be all mixed together, the pie shells should be cooled, and ready for the batter.. remember if you add the cold batter to hot shells, you run the risk of flash cooking the eggs, and curdling the batter, so let the shells cool for about 15 minutes before adding the filling.

once the shells are cooled you can divide the batter between them and the sprinkle in the bacon, bake them both on the middle rack for about an hour, or when a butter knife, poked in the middle comes out clean..

enjoy!

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:02 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Judy

So how was it? Was it worth the $20? Did it taste like a chicken egg or have a taste all its own?

There's something gag-a-rific about an ostrich egg. They give me the heebie jeebies if I think about eating one.

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message
BeerGnome

Judy wrote:
So how was it? Was it worth the $20? Did it taste like a chicken egg or have a taste all its own?

There's something gag-a-rific about an ostrich egg. They give me the heebie jeebies if I think about eating one.

It simply tasted like a big egg! while it may have been a little richer in flavor, there really wasn't much difference in the long run.
the novelty of it was sure fun though, so I'll say it was $20 well spent. I considered it an entertainment expense.
but really.. it's more economical to spend $5 on regular eggs for the same volume.

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
JustAGirl

That is wild!

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:52 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

JustAGirl wrote:
That is wild!

It's probably domesticated ostrich, dear. Wink

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
BeerGnome

oh yeah, completly domesticated ostrich, but free range none the less.

hell .. it's a fucking ostrich! Aint like they have native populations running around here anywhere. so thier diet is going to be predomitly comercial chicken feed that the bird themselves suppliment with their general foraging.

mostly.. it tastes like I natural, free range chicken..

I regularly buy my general purpose eggs from a micro farmer with a chicken coop.. $3 a dozen. and its a mixed bag of what type, shape, and form the eggs are, but, so damn worth it.. they are the richest, most tastiest eggs you can get, and a lot of times when I pick them up? still warm.. and by that I mean.. henrietta just dropped that bitch! wazzup!?

what I'm trying to say here.. is that if you have access to REAL, REALLY farm Fresh eggs, take advantage of it.. I don't care how they market them, you will NEVER find true farm fresh eggs in ANY grocery store..
Hell! compare the shells! store bought eggs are like freaking PAPER compared to the farm raised stuff.. those eggs are half rotted by the time you pick them out of the cooler, bleached, oxidated, and insiped!

the commercial ostrich egg.. well it tasted like what it is.. and what it is.. is a giant bird egg.. raised much like you would a horse with commercial bird feed, and it roaming around a field grazing on whatever it could find

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: