Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Writing Straight Through?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
earthshoes

Writing Straight Through?  Reply with quote  

Do you write straight through or do you tend to stop, go back and add details as they occur to you? I know too much self-editing along the way can be the death of a story, but I seem to work in a circular pattern. First, the frame work, then the details. It isn't so much about getting it perfect as it is getting the whole scene on paper in whatever way it comes.

When I'm tired and running busy, I sometimes just write a skeleton thin scene and come back and flesh it out when I've got more time and am not falling asleep in front of the computer.

Just wondered how everyone else does this.

By the way, trying to write straight through in a near unconscious state is apparently a really bad idea. Had to delete two hundred meandering, pointless words today.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tal

Generally I write by long hand and then edit on word processing so stopping to add details can really mess with my planned output to get a scene done. What I do when a detail occurs to me as I am writing is to jot a note in the margin of the page. Usually this is enough for me to remember to add in when I'm doing the first edit as I type it in.

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lara-

Finally figured it out this week  Reply with quote  

I finally figured it out this week what has kept me always writing the same three chapters over and over again until I have 150,000 words of the same damned three chapters!

As I get to know the characters, the plot evolves further than I originally intended and instead of Cairo they end up in Vegas or something... so I would go back and rewrite everything to get them to Vegas, and by the time I do that, they wind up in Taos and one of them is missing a limb.

So I gots to go back and rewrite to get them into the new place. I figured I was simply doomed, cursed by a gypsy in a former life to always write the same three chapters.

I think it's because I have more than one book in me and I think I have to squeeze every idea that pops into my head into this one book. When I realized that, writing straight through made more sense.

So, now, I have been writing straight through. When the plot moved away from the direction it was heading in Chapter two, I kept going... I figure by the time I get to the end, they will end up where they are supposed to be... then I can go back and do the changes needed to get them there. Like solving a mystery. Also, I've learned that two lines of dialogue can get a scene from point A to point B, leaving the creation of scenery for the second draft.

Anyhow, that's what I'm doing this week and I'm on chapter five!

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:10 am   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: