Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> A Dirty Job

Just finished A Dirty Job
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Sara Leigh

Actually, JulieB, not all of us are wannabe writers. I have often stated that I'm a reader, not a writer.

And it really pisses me off when newbies come on the board and decide to complain about some aspect of one of Chris's books. I don't get it. What's their motivation? Do they really think this is a good place for that? Did they not notice that Chris doesn't write the same book over and over, like some writers, so maybe they're not going to be totally satisfied by every book? Or maybe they didn't realize he is an active participant here?

I don't blame Chris for taking a break right now. Who needs that kind of crap?

JulieB wrote:
We did not realize that you have feelings and insecurities just like we do.

I can't believe you actually wrote that. Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dougp

deb wrote:
My analogy: going to the home of new parents and telling them they've just given birth to a really fugly child.

Like I told doug. Takes some crusty balls to come onto an author's website to bitch about his work. Not saying you have to like it, but takes fucking balls to bitch about it.

Hey WTF? I DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT have hygiene issues. My original post was meant to be a good natured poke. The response that it got by some people, who will go unnamed, was to me so high minded I couldn't help myself, and took it farther than was prudent. To you that are new and have posted the aggrieved messages, let me apologize, for I have already scorched the ground that you are walking, and in doing so have removed any and all tolerance for such musings.

Post Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message
deb

Doug, baby. I didn't mean YOUR balls.

Post Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JulieB

Sara Leigh wrote:

JulieB wrote:
We did not realize that you have feelings and insecurities just like we do.

I can't believe you actually wrote that. Rolling Eyes

SaraL, yes, and? I meant it. I guess I would rather give newbies, myself included, the benefit of the doubt rather than think that they are mean spirited or really dumb. But that's just me.

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:52 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sal

If I hurt your feelings with my post, Chris, I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention. I'm also sorry if it was a bit harsh, once again, not my intention. I do enjoy your other works though and yeah I breeze through ADJ in three days, it does keep a great pace and was pretty funny.

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

Oh...NOW I get it, Gracie.

/me is slow.

Now, you see, I was thinking about how to respond to Chris' post here in this thread. I didn't want to sound like a total suck-up because I'm not. I didn't want to incur further upset by using poorly chosen humour that can get all too easily misinterpreted. Then I thought fuck it.

I loved ADJ. For me, (a person who ALWAYS reads the last page before the second chapter) I don't care whether I think I see something coming or not, I love the adventure getting there. I mean, if a story were just it's ending, why have the middle? Also, the ending wasn't what I expected. Yes, there were some things I expected (just like in any book where you spend a few hundred pages getting there...if you didn't see any of it coming, what was the point? Surely, you have to feel like you are involved), but I loved it all.

A Dirty Job is a book where the tale to tell is more important than how it starts or how it ends. At least for me.

I have my most favourite and least favourite books but that doesn't mean any of them are bad. It's a matter of extremes. You can only judge good by knowing bad and vice versa. Chris, you're books are all of an amazing standard (being funny is hard...which is why I am often just branded as "fucked up") and so, when one doesn't match the expectations based on another people misinterpret that as being bad. It isn't, it's just not as good. But it's a personal perspective thing.

You are the only author who's books I have multiple copies of. That says a lot about me but it also should say something about your appeal. I don't read a lot. But I make time to read every word that you put in those books (including that crap at the start with all those numbers and addresses...that shit is boring, dude...you should lose that).

I know how much criticism hurts when one is creative. It's the weirdest thing. Creativity is a gift and I know that to see it to its potential, you have to let others see it. But it's so personal. I don't think everyone realises that criticising the worst thing someone did is WORSE than criticising their best. I have songs that I know blow chunks but to hear others say it can be really cutting. Anyway, this isn't about me...I'm just saying, I get it.

To finish, A Dirty Job is one of your best works and contains some of the most interesting characters you've ever created (no no, chill, I'm not saying the other books were bad or their characters were uninteresting...I'm just saying this was good shit...not shit...er...stuff....oh fuck it).

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:02 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Beta Male Mike

I thought "A Dirty Job" was perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. "Dirty" was the first Christopher Moore book I read and now I am on a mission to read the rest of his books. Christopher Moore is my current favorite author.

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zevon

Beta Male Mike wrote:
I thought "A Dirty Job" was perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. "Dirty" was the first Christopher Moore book I read and now I am on a mission to read the rest of his books. Christopher Moore is my current favorite author.

As you read more you will likely drop the "current" from that statement. Smile

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message
gretchenfaith

Well, unlike FFPF, I AM a total suckup.

I love the AG. I love the AG enough to give my soon to be adopted child the middle name of Sophie, inspired by ADJ, and it WOULD have been her first name had she not already been three years old.

There is a child on the OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET whose name is going to reflect her mother's passion FOR THIS AUTHOR.

I have a six year old name "Gabe" whom I TELL PEOPLE was named for a character in one of AG's books, even though, in truth, my Gabe was almost two before I discovered the AG. But, I unabashadly lie about it, because I LOVE THE AG's BOOKS.

The point I am trying to make is that I am almost pathetic in my status as a fan of the AG.

I love this man's work, is what I am trying to say.

And the reason I come here (mostly) is because I think it is incredibly amazingly cool that the AG comes here and interacts with his fans, and then posts like this drive him away, and frankly...that yanks my chain, and ruins the reason that I come here in the first place.

Sigh.

Gretchenfaith

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:43 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

Gretch,

If you don't mind my asking, where are you adopting from? My wife and I adopted our son from Korea through Holt in 2004 and are thinking about #2.

LIW

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:19 am   View user's profile Send private message
gretchenfaith

LIW,

We are also adopting through Holt. Our daughter is in Vietnam. Vietnam just reopened it's international adoption program after three years of being shut down.

It's all I want to talk about, pretty much, all the time, so, feel free to PM me!

Gretchen

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dougp

gracie wrote:
knikkki wrote:
Chris ...
You know that 99% of us love your stuff. Write it for us. Let the good fans propell you forward.

Knikkki, I did the math, If you take the number of board members who have no complaints and divide it by the total number of board memebers it is actually 99.7492% of us who have no complaints. So if you round up... that would make it 100% of us have no complaints. So that means those three folks don't exist. Woo, don't you just love math.

Remember, "I'll take that into consideration" = oh do fuck off (more math)

you three problem children, we'll let you earn you way back into our reality. Got pie?

I'm sending this to AG, maybe he'll spell my name right in this book.

I have banana cream, cherry, lemon meringue, and today only a very good and extremely large humble.

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Beta Male Mike

Okay, as a newbie (with a sore butt from initiaition, and still wondering where the diva's are?) I notice many oldies are refering to Chris as AG. What I want to know is, what the heck does AG stand for, and what's the story behind it?

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

Beta Male Mike wrote:
Okay, as a newbie (with a sore butt from initiaition, and still wondering where the diva's are?) I notice many oldies are refering to Chris as AG. What I want to know is, what the heck does AG stand for, and what's the story behind it?

Author Guy.

He's the Author Guy. The story is he's a guy and he's an author. He's the Author...Guy...see?

Cool.

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FL

zevon wrote:
DanaMichelle wrote:
Perhaps some of the newbies don't realize that this is a FAN board. If you aren't a fan, you should start a board of your own to criticize. We only criticize Chris for his choice of shirts, nothing more.

The Boardello Rules are funny, I laughed my naked ass which was sitting on a pile of AG books off when I read them. I think what you wrote about above should be Rule #1, and new people signing up to the Boardello should have to read the fuckers.
On this page there are 3 posts I'd be irked at if I was AG, by noobs with 1, 9, and 10 posts respectively.
Prolly haven't even had their full body cavity search by Joe or Y yet.
Fuckin mooks.

"Those who can, write, those who can't, review".
-Some Guy

I like what Hemingway said about critics:
God knows people who are paid to have attitudes toward things, professional critics, make me sick; camp following eunuchs of literature. They won't even whore. They're all virtuous and sterile. And how well meaning and high minded. But they're all camp followers.

FL

- Buk

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: