Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

How prolific!

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Joelibris

How prolific!  Reply with quote  

We get a new AG book, what, about every year, sometimes two years? That to me is about right. So somebody explain to me how some writers pump out 4, 5, or even 6 a year, and in Nora Roberts case, they are big-ass books, not little 200 page paperbacks. In 2006, she has seven, count 'em, SEVEN original novels coming out. She's either a fucking robot, or has a huge stable of ghostwriters.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:48 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Boota

I suspect a formula, even though I've never read any of her stuff. Or maybe she's just that damn good.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

Some 'authors' only provide an outline for their books and have a team of people bulk them out. More than ghost writing, this is basically a product creation exercise. I'm not naming names, but one notorious culprit rhymes with Rom Blancy. Usually you'll see the telltale "By Rom Blancy (and Joe Blow)"

On the other hand, I read an interview with RL Stine (Goosebumps) and he said he just cranks them out. He doesn't give two craps about creating in-depth characters, just so long as his audience is happy with the product. I guess with a couple hundred books to his name he can do whatever the hell he wants.

LIW

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:17 am   View user's profile Send private message
Vahlee

Yeah, but the thing with R.L. Stine is that he mostly writes children's books (I know of at least one novel that he's written, there's probably more). He does the Goosebumps and the Fear Street (which I loved in 5th grade). And yes little character depth and they're short. Come up with a 'scary' story, add a couple detail, BAM! Kids/young adult book.

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
knikkki

and remember, some of these people don't bother with editing.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:25 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

I'm just jealous. Someday I hope to be a best-selling, prolific, divo-esque, un-edited, ghost-written hack. Please lord god jesus and allah, please.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:35 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

How much of a cut do ghostwriters get, anyway? And is it an up-front one-time payment, or a continual percentage of the royalties? I'm working on a new "how-to" book: 101 Ways to Make Homicide-Free Hush-Money Arrangements.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:25 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Joelibris

gracie wrote:

I think she enjoys her JD Robb books more than the others, though. and that is female police dect. in the future. So she has created an entire alt. world.

Oddly enough, I've read every one of these, and she's up to like 20...

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: