Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

favorite writing books?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
gailellen

favorite writing books?  Reply with quote  

I am new to this "I wanna be a writer" thing. I have a few writing books, how to's, workbooks, muse books. I was thinking that with all of us writers on this site it would be a great resource for us to list great books that have helped us in our writing endeavors.

A couple of my favorites are:
Getting the Words Right by Theodore Cheney
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamont
Dare to Be a Great Writer by Leonard Bishop

Any one else got favorites?
Chris, your favorites would be a tasty treat.

MySpace

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Mother Tongue and Troublesome Words, both by Bill Bryson.

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:11 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ferrit Leggings

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743410580/sr=1-1/qid=1155751896/ref=sr_1_1/002-5697758-6616024?ie=UTF8&s=books

Sorry about the URL

It is a link to: Like Shaking Hands With God by Lee Stringer and Kurt Vonnegut

It is interesting in how two authors get together and chat and discuss their work. It is not really a how to book on writing but I could never imagine Vonnegut doing something like that.

FL

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:14 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
earthshoes

"Telling Lies for Fun and Profit" by Lawrence Block (CM recommended that one)

"The First Five pages" by Noah Lukeman is a pretty good beginner's "how to avoid the slush pile" manual. Smart advice and good examples.

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Riding" was pretty good if you can get past Bradbury's (surprising) ego and pay attention to what he's saying.

I really hated "Scene and Structure" by Jack Bickham as it advocated formula writing. Also, he used samples of his own writing there were so bad I found myself flinching in embarrassment for him. However, I will say that some of the advice resonated inspite of my dislike. How to build tension and how to spot scenes that really don't move the plot forward and delete them or rework them was useful.

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sgt_steve

I picked up the Block based on the AG and Earthshoes recommendation. Definately an interesting and informative read.

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Try The Art of Fiction and On Becoming a Novelist by John Gardner

The Larry Block books are much more hands on and practical for technique, though.

Last edited by chris on Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:56 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

Thanks, Chris, they're now on my Amazon wish list. But I've promised myself not to buy any more writing books until I've got 10,000 more words written. Which is getting away from the point of this thread, so I'll make it a separate post.

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gailellen

Thanks AG!!  Reply with quote  

They are also on my wish list-

sgt_steve that is a tremendous idea!! I am stealing it! *Runs away with idea under her arm*

thanks for sharing all of you, I have much to write if I want these books.

MySpace

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: