Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Outline Program For Mac?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Tal

chris wrote:

Word is the standard in publishing, however. I liked Lotus's word processors a lot better, but alas, I finally had to cave to the MS monster. I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as you can save to .doc files, but it is the standard.

QFT - I thought I was lucky that my publisher stated they would accept the transcript in wordperfect. When the fat was in the skillet, however, they really required it to be in Word. :/

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:40 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mllefifi

Tal wrote:
chris wrote:

Word is the standard in publishing, however. I liked Lotus's word processors a lot better, but alas, I finally had to cave to the MS monster. I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as you can save to .doc files, but it is the standard.

QFT - I thought I was lucky that my publisher stated they would accept the transcript in wordperfect. When the fat was in the skillet, however, they really required it to be in Word. :/

I found that out when I translated a couple of Russian opera libretti for a classical CD company a few years ago. I simply couldn't use Word for entering and editing the bulk of the text, especially because setting up columns was so cumbersome in the version of Word that I had. The documents had to be submitted to the publisher not only in Word, but in Word for Mac (I have Windows), so I had to spend a lot of time with a Mac at the library computing site in post-editing to make sure the product was looking right. Sad

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:23 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kar98

palmer wrote:
What about Virtual PC -- then you could run your familiar Windows stuff on a Mac.

Yuck. I tried it out the other day, and found it absolutely useless.
Let's see, what were my major gripes? Resources for the virtual PC were limited to 667Mhz and 512MB of RAM. Slower than a dead donkey in the desert. Exporting something from Outlook 2003 into Entourage 2004, or vice versa doesn't work. At all. And since I'm the kind of person that watches the screen while the fingers are dancing over the keyboard, I found the differences in the user interface unbearable. At least with different machines, I'd have some cue as to what's going on. You now, like, the Chevy truck's rides high and is an automatic with the shifter on the steering column, while in the VW, I can barely look over the curb, and the stick is on the floor. Even so, I try to put the latter into neutral by turning on the wipers every now and then.
I'd rather stick with Office:Mac on my machine, and hope people with Office 2003 are able to read the files I send them.

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ginjg

Kar98 wrote:
palmer wrote:
What about Virtual PC -- then you could run your familiar Windows stuff on a Mac.

Yuck. I tried it out the other day, and found it absolutely useless.
Let's see, what were my major gripes? Resources for the virtual PC were limited to 667Mhz and 512MB of RAM. Slower than a dead donkey in the desert. Exporting something from Outlook 2003 into Entourage 2004, or vice versa doesn't work. At all. And since I'm the kind of person that watches the screen while the fingers are dancing over the keyboard, I found the differences in the user interface unbearable. At least with different machines, I'd have some cue as to what's going on. You now, like, the Chevy truck's rides high and is an automatic with the shifter on the steering column, while in the VW, I can barely look over the curb, and the stick is on the floor. Even so, I try to put the latter into neutral by turning on the wipers every now and then.
I'd rather stick with Office:Mac on my machine, and hope people with Office 2003 are able to read the files I send them.

Why use VPC emulation when you can boot directly into windows partition?

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mllefifi

Ginjg wrote:

Oh, Ginjg, I love it when you talk dirty! Say it again! Wink

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kar98

Ginjg wrote:

Because that only works if you have a Mac with an Intel Inside[tm], i.e. newer ones. Also, the top model Apple computer, the PowerMac is still equipped with PPC CPUs.

Mmmmmh, dual 2.5 G5...

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ginjg

Kar98 wrote:
Ginjg wrote:

Because that only works if you have a Mac with an Intel Inside[tm], i.e. newer ones. Also, the top model Apple computer, the PowerMac is still equipped with PPC CPUs.

Mmmmmh, dual 2.5 G5...
WWDC next week September dual dual intels and January Quads

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
sgt_steve

Virtual PC blows chunks as an emulator. Reportely Vmware will soon be available on the Intel macs, and Vmware is a fine piece of work. Of course, this would require replacing our one-year-old G5, which is probably right out of the picture.

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: