Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

I need therapy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Boota

I write everyday, even on the days I don't feel like it. It's not common that I don't feel like it, but there are times. How I discipline myself is by demanding 2,000 words, minimum, before I allow myself to quit for the day. I generally write novel length work in scenes, breaking the chapters down into three to five related scenes. I hate to leave a scene unfinished if I don't have to, so the 2,000 word limit is often closer to 3,000. On a really good day I hit my 2,000 word goal a couple of times. (Going back to working for a bit now, so that 2,000 word goal is going to be much tougher to get. But I'll do it.)

One thing I have noticed about myself is that a good session of writing begets another good session of writing, as long as I don't fuck around too much between the sessions. Long layoffs take some time to get back in the groove. I'd rather just stay in the groove, if at all possible.

I have gone back later and wiped out an entire day's work, but that doesn't bother me too much. I don't consider it a failure, I think of it as finding a way that doesn't work. I keep everything I remove from a story in progress and sometimes re-work it and put it back in when it's fixed, so it's often times not a loss at all.

When I need inspiration I do like Ferrit Leggings and take a walk. It's the perfect way for me to clear my head and work through a problem or come up with just the right thing.

I don't really have many issues with procrastination. I get off on writing, so it doesn't really feel like work to me. Writing is the part of the day I keep for myself. It's me and my brain against the world for a couple hours everyday, just making shit up. It doesn't get much better than that.

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Unc

chris wrote:
Actually, Unc, I don't think your road trip idea is such a bad one. I use a similar method when I get stuck. (or I used to when I lived in California). I used to get a notebook and get in the car. I'd drive south until I got to a coffee shop about twenty minutes south of my house. I'd drink coffee, look at the notebook, think about what I was stuck on -- if nothing happened in an hour or so, I'd get back in the car and go south ten or so more miles. Repeat. Usually, by the time I was about an hour away, and about four hours into the process, something would give.

Yup. That's the idea. When Paris gets too gray and "closed in" for me, I take the laptop and head off for the country to write there, or to a favorite quiet, out-of-the-way coffee shop in Amsterdam that I discovered years ago. ( And coincidentally learned later was the place where Tarantino wrote Pulp Fiction...I *had* been wondering why black ghetto dialog kept creeping into my medieval conversations. Laughing )

chris wrote:
There's also a sense, when you're locked into your writing closet, that life is passing you by. When you're out at a cafe, life is going on around you. You are participating.

I, too, am one of those fortunate people who can write in public places. When I'm into it, when the flow is going down, it doesn't matter whether I'm in a quiet room by myself or in the noisiest cafe on the planet. And to be honest, if one is inspired by the sight of beautiful women, a Paris cafe is basically Muse Heaven. Run out of inspiration...just look up...watch the girl with the pouty lips for a few moments...realize that the world is a wonderful place...get inspired...write a few more pages...compliment the girl on your way out. Always compliment the girl. The Muses Union really doesn't like it when you don't show proper respect for their work. And you might get lucky. Shocked

Last edited by Unc on Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:14 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

As for getting to work on what you need to do, writing has to be something that you want to do. I cannot make myself write but when I need to and canít settle down, music helps a lot. I wrote much of the last part of my book while listening to Tom Waits and Van Morrison before that it was David Gray. Getting down to work and inspiration is something different for everybody. Threads like this do help with ideas to try but ultimately it will have to be something that you need to do.

Ta.[/quote]

When I have to write during the hours the kids and husband are around (does anyone else have a mate who wants to help them write?) I put on head phones and listen to--of all things--Rod Stewart (who I can't stand under other circumstances), the Eagles, Rich Mullins, and whale/orca cries put to music. Dunno why it works, but it does.

As for "making myself", yeah, there's some of that. I have a million other things calling to me every day--things that seem more important at the time--like my job, housework, phone calls to friends, cuddling with my husband, walking the dogs, dealing with the kids. But over the last two years, I've learned to push it all aside every day to write--something, anything, but preferably something I'll be proud of later-- because if don't I'm not much fun to live with. I'm distracted at work, the house falls apart anyway, and you sure don't want to get a phone call from me.

However, I do write with an audience in mind. I do care whether my story comes across. I am a storyteller and it's not much fun to tell 'em in a vacuum.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:22 am   
chris
Site Admin

[quote="Goudron"]
chris wrote:
I think I'll just start writing at 11 PM every night for at least 20 minutes. .

Yes, that would be good.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:28 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
abbynormal92243

holy shit  Reply with quote  

nice author-ass-kicking.

thanks, Chris

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ferrit Leggings

"However, I do write with an audience in mind. I do care whether my story comes across. I am a storyteller and it's not much fun to tell 'em in a vacuum."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nearly all art has an audience, even instillation artists who fill rooms with hamburger and let it rot, this has been done, have people that go and see it. If you write something that is personal there is bound to be someone out there that will read it and relate to it. I am not a sex addict but I could relate to some parts of the main character in Choke by Chuck P. (I wonít attempt to spell his name.) The point is that there is an audience for every one. If you write something purely with your audience in mind they will be able to tell. It is like pandering to a child. Who is better off in the end?

A good example is Tom Robbins book Vila Incognito. I do not know what he had in mind when he wrote it but it was too short and the story stunk. I enjoyed all of his other books but that had nothing in it for me. Was he writing it for a sex crazed Tunuki, who knows or was he putting out a book quick to catch up with the market? His fans, even me, put it on order as soon as it was listed on Amazon.

Bukowski has his drunks,
Dan Brown has no sense of humour.
and Chris has the nuts,
There is something for everyone, just like Christmas.

Ta,

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

I do mean that, anout the nuts, in a nice way.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:53 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Goudron

Goudron wrote:
I think I'll just start writing at 11 PM every night for at least 20 minutes. Being a creature of habit, if I can do this successfully for 2 weeks in a row, I'm guessing I can pound out a terrible novel every other year Very Happy

Looks good in print, I'll see what happens. I'll update in 2 weeks.

Well I was ill for a couple of days, so I missed the update mark. I'm getting about a 75% success rate for doing 20 minutes a night. Sometimes I just do 20, others I'm on a roll and go for 40 :O

It's pretty slow going... 2500 words in 2 weeks. Say a novel is 100,000 words? 80 weeks to get there, faster than I thought. I'm not writing a novel though, doing a silly serial style fantasy adventure thing so it could theoretically go on forever. That's satisfying enough for now. Thanks for all the comments. I suppose I could have just done with a Nike commercial ("Just Do It"), but that's not nearly as inspiring or fun.

PS Chris, I am also being very successful at not being the Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe. Beat that Razz

Post Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:13 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TiroIndite

This May Help  Reply with quote  

I found a free program that helps me write when I just can't think of anything to say to my blank word processor screen.

Sometimes I can use what I wrote with the program. Sometimes I can't, but it usually loosens me up enough to talk to my word processor and not just shut it down.

You can find it here: http://www.theprint.dk/writethis.html

Hope it helps.

Tiro

Post Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:33 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

[quote="GoudronWell I was ill for a couple of days, so I missed the update mark. I'm getting about a 75% success rate for doing 20 minutes a night. Sometimes I just do 20, others I'm on a roll and go for 40 :O

It's pretty slow going... 2500 words in 2 weeks. Say a novel is 100,000 words? 80 weeks to get there, faster than I thought. I'm not writing a novel though, doing a silly serial style fantasy adventure thing so it could theoretically go on forever. That's satisfying enough for now. Thanks for all the comments. I suppose I could have just done with a Nike commercial ("Just Do It"), but that's not nearly as inspiring or fun.

PS Chris, I am also being very successful at not being the Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe. Beat that Razz[/quote]

This sounds like a very good start. Don't quit.

Post Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:42 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: