Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

bricolage

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
steve

bricolage  Reply with quote  

Thanks for the word, AG. Turns out that I view life as bricolage. Who knew?

Post Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Unc

Re: bricolage  Reply with quote  

chris wrote:
bricolage \bree-koh-LAHZH; brih-\, noun:
Construction or something constructed by using whatever materials happen to be available.

Interesting etymology. In France these days, the word 'bricolage' has become synonymous with hardware stores...there are chains called 'Mssr. Bricolage' and 'Bricorama.' When you look the word up in a French-English dictionary, the first definition is "do it yourself" and the second (and very funny, given the first) definition is "a patched-up job." Here's another vote from Paris for the universe clearly being a product of bricolage. Laughing

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Q

Over here we call it 'U.S. Foreign Policy'.
and the second has all of the fun.

--Analytics of Five

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:40 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aiki14

bricolage  Reply with quote  

bricolage (verb) see McGyverlage.
To escape a menacing adversary while trapped in a locked down missile base using contact lens solution, a popsicle stick, the cushion from an office chair, and of course duct tape to cut through a six inch steel blast door, cross a mine field, and deactivate an electric fence while carrying the beautiful lady scientist.
Hope all had a good summer
Jim

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:29 am   View user's profile Send private message
smartnfunnyfem

Location: West Chicago, IL (about 35 miles west of Chicago to be precise)
Bricolage - used in a sentence  Reply with quote  

Her necklace was a bricolage - a melange of ghastly tchotchkes spanning her decolletage in a hideous abomination to the eyes.

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
ArgonautFleecey

Interestingly enough, there's a theatre company in Pittsburgh called Bricolage Theatre.

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ken
Site Admin

Bricolage is destroying my life...  Reply with quote  

OK that's overdramatic.

Actually, I just spent the last week setting up a product called Bricolage. Unfortunately I installed it on a version of linux it doesn't like much (Fedora 2), so the install took around 35 hours instead of 5 or so.

Jeez.

(FYI, its a massive open source content management system. You can see it at www.bricolage.cc)

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:42 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: