Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> The Author Guy Boardello Cookbook

Request

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
lisa

Request  Reply with quote  

I should like a spicy soul filling recipe. I will do the honour of making it myself. Veg or Non-Veg. I also promise to eat it.

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:30 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Karin

I got this from a friend. Not necessarily spicy, but you can spice it up as you wish and it was very soul-filling to me. My changes - couldn't find the salad dressing, so substituted another. Doubled the cheese!

Fall Ratatouille

Garlic - as much as you dare, chopped finely

1 or 2 sticks celery, chopped on the diagonal

1 medium eggplant, cut into chunks

1 medium onion, cut into chunks

1 medium red [or yellow or orange]sweet pepper, cut into thick slices

1 medium (I used a large! one cuz our gardener friend pawned it off on us) cut into chunks

3-4 Tbsp. KRAFT SIGNATURE CALORIE-WISE Sundried Tomato and Oregano Dressing - judge how much you think you'll want, I pour a big SPLOOGE in, cuz I like the flavours!

1 can (19 fl oz / 540 mL) Stewed Tomatoes

1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

1/4 cup Part-Skim Mozzarella Shredded Cheese

NOW,

take a deep pot with a heavy bottom AND

Sauté the garlic, onion and celery in a generous splash of olive oil; add the other ingredients, including the liquid in the tomato can, bring to a lively roil, stirring when you think of it, for about 15-20 minutes.

Turn stove top off, turn oven on to 350 Degrees F.

Transfer contents to an an oven -proof dish if that one isn't, put the grated Parmesan and Shredded Mozerella on top, slide into oven, wait about 10 minutes til Mozerella melts - and yer done!

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

Thanks Karin!

Your recipe on a scale of 100 of my daily chilli heat constitutes number 5.

I love any eggplant but.

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ginjg

Chile Relleno Casserole:
6 - 8 large chiles of your choice - Ancho or poblano or 15 -18 small chiles
Jack cheese or Havarti - shredded or cubed
1 egg per chile
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup flour
a pinch of salt

core and seed the chiles
stuff full with cheese
mix the eggs, milk, flour and salt thoroughly **if you like you can separate the eggs and beat the whites to a soft peak and then fold into the other ingredients**
place the stuffed chiles in a buttered medium depth baking dish
cover with the egg mixture
bake in 350 degree oven until eggs are set and slightly golden on top

Sauce:
4 cups dried whole red chile pods (medium hot)
Water, to cover
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground or crushed leaf oregano
3 cloves minced garlic, or 2 to 3 teaspoons granulated garlic
1/8 cup vegetable oil
4 ounces tomato sauce, optional

Remove stems and seeds from dried chile pods. Rinse and place in 4-quart pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let pods steep for 30 minutes.
Drain pods in a colander and reserve juice. Puree softened pods to a fine consistency. Pour the resulting pulp into a fine sieve or colander and allow the extra juice to drain out, stirring occasionally.

Return this pulp to the 4-quart pot and add the salt, oregano, garlic and oil, adding back just enough juice to make a slightly thin sauce. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste to adjust seasonings. If the sauce tastes bitter, add the tomato sauce in small amounts until corrected. Simmer for 5 more minutes.

Serve:place a scoop of casserole on a plate, ladle on some sauce
and add toppings:

Salsa:
chop together coarsely: 6 tomatoes, 1 red or yellow onion, 6 serrano chiles, 6 cloves garlic, 1 bunch green onions, 1 tablespoon dry or a small handful of fresh cilantro
add 1/8 cup lime juice and ground black pepper to taste

diced Avocado

to make it a feast: serve with green salad with a simple viegrette dressing, spanish rice and black beans. include sour cream as a topping choice

you can make single chile rellanos:
core and seed one chile, stuff, dredge in flour
separate 1 egg . beat the white until soft peaks. mix a few teasoons of milk with the yolks, add a pinch of salt and gently fold in the whites untill completely blended
heat 1/2 inch depth of oil in a skillet
spoon 1/2 the egg mixture into the skillet and set the chile into the next. Cover with remaing egg mixture Turn when bottom becomes golden.
serve on a tortilla or flat bread with the same toppings as above

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Karin

lisa wrote:
Thanks Karin!

Your recipe on a scale of 100 of my daily chilli heat constitutes number 5.

I love any eggplant but.

I know it's not hot, but it just makes you feel so good! LOL! You could always spice it up with some chilis, curry...whatever. It could be adapted to just about any cuisine I think. When I make it I use LOTS of fresh garlic (like almost an entire head). You could also substitute something spicier for the salad dressing.

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:35 am   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

That was fabulous Ginger.

I'm off to make that salsa right now. There is something familiar to what you've posted in our cuisine.

Green chillies are slit, rubbed with salt and lime juice, dipped in gram flour and deep fried. This monstrous thing is then eaten straight with some chutney. It's a good idea to keep a pot of cool water at hand.

Onward!

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:52 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ken
Site Admin

SPICY GUMBO-LAYA  Reply with quote  

in honor of nawlins...

SPICY GUMBO-LAYA
This recipe combines the best of two classic New Orleans dishes — gumbo and jambalaya.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
8 ounces fully cooked hot link sausages (about 3), cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
1 14 1/4-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 10-ounce package frozen sliced okra
3/4 cup long-grain white rice

1 pound bay scallops
8 ounces uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined
Cayenne pepper

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sausage and sauté until brown, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer mixture to bowl. Add onion and bell pepper to pot. Sauté until soft and brown, about 6 minutes. Add flour and stir until golden, about 5 minutes. Gradually whisk in chicken broth, then diced tomatoes with their juices. Bring to boil. Mix in chicken mixture, okra and rice. Reduce heat to medium; cook uncovered until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.

Mix scallops and shrimp into pot. Cover and cook until seafood is cooked through, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with cayenne, salt and pepper.

Makes 6 Servings.
Bon Appétit
June 1997

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: