Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Writing pet peeves
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
mllefifi

Misplacement of "only" (not to mention other common adverbs -- goes along with dangling participles, etc.).

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blargalarg

xxx

Last edited by Blargalarg on Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:47 am   View user's profile Send private message
LostInWalmart

Two things in Mark Helprin's Freddy and Fredericka:

Prince of Wales dancing around saying he was shaking his fanny. Doesn't fanny mean vagina in eng-a-land?

Later he orders an expresso. Grrrr.

B

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:13 am   View user's profile Send private message
Amigo

It boggles the mind  Reply with quote  

This was written by a college sophomore:

"Abraham Lincoln became America's greatest Precedent. Lincoln's mother died in infancy, and he was born in a log cabin which he built with his own hands. When Lincoln was President, he wore only a tall silk hat. He said, "In onion there is strength." Abraham Lincoln write the Gettysburg address while traveling from Washington to Gettysburg on the back of an envelope. He also signed the Emasculation Proclamation, and the Fourteenth Amendment gave the ex-Negroes citizenship. But the Clue Clux Clan would torcher and lynch the ex-Negroes and other innocent victims. On the night of April 14, 1865, Lincoln went to the theater and got shot in his seat by one of the actors in a moving picture show. The believed assinator was John Wilkes Booth, a supposedly insane actor. This ruined Booth's career."

And I'll just bet this idiot will never have a career unless it's at Wal-Mart.

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

Re: It boggles the mind  Reply with quote  

Amigo wrote:
This was written by a college sophomore: [...] And I'll just bet this idiot will never have a career unless it's at Wal-Mart.

According to Richard Lederer, who collated these gems (see, for example, http://interact.uoregon.edu/MediaLit/mlr/readings/articles/bloop.html), they range from 8th grade through college.

You know, one of my really, really, really pet peeves about writing (including web postings) is not giving proper attibution to someone else's work.

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Amigo

Well, excuse me!  Reply with quote  

Hey, lighten up fifi.

I found this in a dusty nook of my PC while doing some "housecleaning." It was sent to me via e-mail with no attribution attached.

I only passed it on for amusement purposes exactly as it was sent to me, and certainly not to annoy you. I have many more interesting and challenging things to do than that....really, really , really.

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: