Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Hmmmm??? Does a dog have a buddha nature?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jillybeans

Hmmmm??? Does a dog have a buddha nature?  Reply with quote  

Did anyone ever come up with "It's A freaking dog for god's sake". No. The people in my neighborhood have turned their down into a vegetarian. I couldn't help but laugh. It's a dog for god's sake. They will eat their own poop. Or people if not fed enough.

Another one figure their dog is a racist because he doesn't like black or hispanic people. I wonder why since they left their dog out at the fence while kids in gangsta clothes sprayed silly string all over him and teased him unmercifully. The dog hasn't known a kind act from a stranger. It's a freaking dog for god's sake. It needs behavior modification and the dog is an Akita. Born to hunt and guard and go for a freaking throat if you mess with it.

And for the record, if one male dog humps another male dog it doesn't mean they are queer dogs. It isn't about sex or mating. It's about one dog being dominant over the other more submissive dog. When I had dogs, the trainer told me about some guy in the South who beat his dog because he thought the animal was GAY after doing that. It's a dog thing. Given the choice and smelling a female in heat, they will and I mean WILL go after the female.

I love people in Massachusetts. So educated and yet know so little about dogs. Oh and another thing if it's a disability dog, don't pet it. It's working.

Wade Davis (I knew there was a reason I liked Wade Davis)

Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message
KKnight

A question for AG....  Reply with quote  

Most Sagacious AG,

Is your initial question, whether dogs have a Buddha nature, in any way a reference to the first chapter in Raymond Smullyan's 'The Tao is Silent'?? For some reason I always tend to think that that chapter is in an Alan Watts, but it's not...I checked..it's Smullyan....

And if you like that, Raymond Barnett has a chapter about naps (sort of) (and since that is really what seemed to have sparked the Smullyan chapter I am referencing I thought it worth mentioning) (did I also mention that I am addicted to parenthetical tangents?) in his 'Relax, You are already home.' which is like a practical Taoist sourcebook.

Thanks Sagacious dude.
Kimberly

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:24 am   View user's profile Send private message
KKnight

Oh...and yeah, they do.  Reply with quote  

Yes, dogs have a Buddah nature. I do 30 extra Koashoas to my dog daily for he is worthy and enlightened. But it is important to note that my dog is more of a Zen Buddhist and not a Maitraya Buddhist, so he doesn't really dig on active meditation....I only do it because of the ADD--I like the rocking motion.

K

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:28 am   View user's profile Send private message
Beta Male Mike

Mu.

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

"Unask the question"- ZMM

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Butch the Vizsla

never fault the dog; all roads lead to it's owner.

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wonko

The question that begs to be asked is: Has anybody seen the Food Guy?

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vgndoll

my dogs are pretty buddha-ish. they take the food they're given, they love naps under trees and they have a good sense of humor during yoga w me. they stretch w me (of their own volition) and then they all pile on me for kisses, until i laugh so hard i can't breathe. i normally make my yoga time their nap time, it just doesn't always work out.

they always know where the food guy is at dinner time. they seem to think i am incapable of feeding them in the evening, so they crowd around my husband at night and cry at him until they get fed, then they go back to sleep.

re the whole veg dog thing. i know some vegans who made their dogs vegan - the dogs don't go near their bowls unless they are really hungry! i wish them well, but dogs are opportunistic animals when it comes to food. one of my dogs stole socks from the laundry and ate them, he also loves garbage and flowers, cuz he's a dog! luckily, none of my dogs eat poop, they all run away from it, which makes for a fun walk around town. my dogs do prefer fresh meat, over kibble - it's a fact. and they are petrified of santa, then again, so am i.

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:46 am   View user's profile Send private message
Click

Skin color does not equal race.......do some research. BTW, Hispanic is NOT a race, it is an ethnic group. Again, read more, learn more.

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
FattyFattyPorkFace

Click wrote:
Skin color does not equal race.......do some research. BTW, Hispanic is NOT a race, it is an ethnic group. Again, read more, learn more.

Don't start that kind of argument in here. Take it to Politics and also, cite references when telling someone they are wrong otherwise your comments are just as unsubstantiated as theirs.

Debating skills are required by both parties if a civil discussion is to be held. now...back to buddha's fat dog.

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vgndoll

now...back to buddha's fat dog.[/quote]

hey, my dogs aren't fat! (lol) see the avatar, that's one of my buddha pups - not fat, cuddly.

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Butch the Vizsla

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
now...back to buddha's fat dog.

and they say people tend to look like their dogs

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:19 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Thom

Not "mu", but "wu".
Actually, more like "wuuf"

If the Buddha could start on the road to enlightenment back when he was just a cow in hell, then surely a dog on this leval of reality could do the same.

Oh, and the fat guy's not the Buddha. At least not the historical Shakyamuni Buddha AKA Siddhartha. The fat guy's Ho Pei, who may or may not eventually be reborn as Matraiya, who is the Buddha that will come in a couple thousand years when everyone has forgotten about Shakyamuni and his teachings. One shows up every few thousand years or so. Shakyamuni was actually Buddha #5 in human history IIRC.

Either way, I'm Pure Lands School myself, so I'm all about Amitabha Buddha (there are lots and lots of Buddhas to choose from). So I guess if you taught a dog to recite the nembutso, he'd reincarnate in teh Blissful Pure Land and be assured enlightenment by the sacred vows of Amitabha.

Of course, it would be like teaching yoga to an elephant, but better men than me have tried to do that, so who am I to judge?

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: