Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Music to Write to
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
LostInWalmart

mais oui!  Reply with quote  

mllefifi wrote:
LostInWalmart wrote:
I can't write to music with words. All the lyrics are popping into my head and I can't think of anything. [...]

Even if it's in a language you don't know?

Horrible problem to have, I know, but I've been exposed to a lot of languages through travel, friends, etc. I only know enough to get myself into trouble, but if it's Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, French or even a little of Korean, I find myself trying to figure out what they're saying.

Very distracting.

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:56 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

Re: mais oui!  Reply with quote  

LostInWalmart wrote:
[...] Horrible problem to have, I know, but I've been exposed to a lot of languages through travel, friends, etc. I only know enough to get myself into trouble, but if it's Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, French or even a little of Korean, I find myself trying to figure out what they're saying.

Very distracting.

My first suggestion, since I'm partial, would be Russian, or one of the other Slavic languages. Wink

Try also some Georgian vocal music (i.e., from Sakartvelo, the nation we know as Georgia). Some of the consonants are simply beyond my ability to imitate, so I just let the music flow. (I've listened myself mainly to operas by Zakharia Paliashvili.)

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
LostInWalmart

The Nation of Georgia? I know those Atlantans are a proud people, but now you're just making shit up. Wink

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:36 am   View user's profile Send private message
Kilgore

LostInWalmart wrote:
The Nation of Georgia? I know those Atlantans are a proud people, but now you're just making shit up. Wink

Dude are you from a Red State? That is old Russia.
Wink Wink Wink Wink
Kilgore
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

-KV

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:15 am   View user's profile Send private message
Shanahan

If there is to be music, it's one of two things: ambient/electronic (Steve Roach, Numina, Dwight Ashley, Brannan Lane, Lopside, lots more people 90% of folks have never heard of) or a song that's going to be on the "soundtrack." (Mr. Shanahan is a playwright, friends.)

But while working, no lyrics.

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Alcona87

When I'm writing, either of the two Refreshments CD's are in the computer. Roger Clyne is a wonderful lyricist, and I find that the band's brand of roots rock/americana is perfect for letting my mind flow. Other discs that work almost as well are the first Big Wreck album, Fountains of Wayne, and Jazz for a Rainy Afternoon.

...but that's just me... Confused

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:48 am   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

I've recently found that I write better in silence.

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
A.J. Roberts

I usually write with any of the following artists playing:

Djam Karet
Tangerine Dream
Edgar Froese
Klaus Schulze
Terry Riley
Sigur Ros
Tarantula AD
Alcibiades Jones
Gongzilla
Gordian Knot
Liquid Tension Experiment
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Mike Oldfield
Ozric Tentacles
Pelican
Gongzilla
Gordian Knot

A few more that don't spring to mind right now, but, that gives a general idea of the kind of music I listen to when writing Smile

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Vahlee

must really like Gongzilla and Gordian knot to list them twice.

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
A.J. Roberts

Heh, was editing an old list and thought they weren't part of it. If I were to conciously list any of those bands twice, it would be Djam Karet Very Happy

Post Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lloydface

I listen to Dragonforce. I dont usually like that kinda thing but its super fast power metal for anyone who doesnt know. Its like cheesy battle music. Since i tend to write fantasy it suits it very well.

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:26 am   View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Poofiemus

I totally agree with Chris that it helps to have music that fits the mood of the scene you're writing. For example, during my angsty scenes (which I have a lot of) I listen to Evanescence and Nightwish. Trouble is, when I make a playlist for a scene it seems to rarely last under 4 hours, and I write quite a bit faster than that.

I can listen to pretty much anything when I'm writing so long as I've heard it more than about five times, providing that I like it. Except for Weird Al. I can NEVER write to Weird Al. I always end up listening to his lyrics so I have to hit the fast-forward button or go to one of the playlists.

My personal favorites for writing in general, however, are Delerium, Andreas Vollenweider, and Leahy. I highly reccomend all three of them.

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: