Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Putting the words to paper
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Heather Chandler

1. What do you write on?

The computer. I use Mircosoft word. It's the only device I use.

2. How valuable are plot outlining / character development software in your writing?

I always mull over the major aspects of the story before I begin typing it. I think it's really imperative to have the situation mapped out before it's formed in words. I never write it out though, I think it through and the ideas stay in my head. I sometimes map out different scenarios I don't always incorporate into the story because it's a helpful way to flesh out the characters.

3. Have you tried voice recognition to input the novel into the computer?

No.

4. How often do you go back and rework things?

More often than I should. I'll go over a paragraph five times in one sitting, then do it again the next time I'm working on the story. It's bad, but I'm always afraid I've overlooked several grammatical errors or something. I also go over the story in it's entirety a few times. I've deleted pages and pages of work because the scenes were just terrible, and it didn't fit in with the flow of the story. Or it was just completely unneccesary.

5. What is the current number of words for a submitted manuscript?

It varies with publishers. I have one completed story that's a little under 80K (I have yet to seek out a publisher, it needs some reworking). It might be considered too short to some, or completely fine for others. You also have to consider the genre. Sci-Fi is longer, Young Adult is much shorter. Although, if you're a first time author, you shouldn't attempt to hand it something that's over 120K.

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:34 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: