Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

To Conference...or NOT to Conference

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
CoffeeCatMuse

To Conference...or NOT to Conference  Reply with quote  

I've talked to many published writers and people in writing groups and it seems to be an opinion split right down the middle about whether or not a writer needs to attend writers' conferences in order to become published.

Two friends of mine have consistently attended the Columbus one, and as far as I know, have yet to sign with an agent.

I talked to a best-selling author from my home state who wrote "The Sparrow" and she swore that she did it all on her own with nary a writing group, agent, or "any stinking Conference."

My predicament has always been money....I never seem to have $400 to just drop on one, and now that I work in the hospitality business, I can lose a whole week's wages if I take off for an entire weekend.

I do know conferences are helpful in learning even more about our craft and getting our names out there and getting face time with agents etc...but...necessary???

Esteemed writers, please tell me what YOU think.

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
lisa

As an esteemed writer I think it is to confer or not to confer.

humbly of course.

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Taco Bob

I'm sure there's plenty of folks know better than me whether or not a conference is going to find you an agent. Tho my actual experience in such matters is limited, I've never been one to let a lack of knowledge slow me down. So I'll just take a wild stab at it...

Seems to me there aren't so many agents hanging around those places as there are writers you could hang with. A lot of agent sites say they prefer to consider new writers recommended by established authors. So there you go...

I have had some experience at booksignings with other (and sometimes real) writers and they've always been real nice, and easy to get along with. Then again, they could be just humoring me since I usually have a live parrot and wear a cowboy hat with a rubber shark and a bunch of other shit on it.

http://STC2001.homestead.com/files/miamibookfair.jpg

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CoffeeCatMuse

lisa wrote:
As an esteemed writer I think it is to confer or not to confer.

humbly of course.

Laughing Oh, I know! I was just doing a creative (and improper) usage of the word conference.

And thanks, TB, for your input too.

Very Happy

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: