Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

A question about characters
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kate R

knikkki wrote:
Read "Between the Bridge and the River" and you'll know how many are too many.

I think when character's start to detract from the story rather than enhance, it's too many. When the reader gets confused about who has which back story it's too many. When you right each chapter in POV and it's been so long since you've seen a character you have to go back and look them up to remember who they are.

That probably doesn't help as a writer, but that's what I dislike as a reader.

Have you ever read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett? I liked it, but I gave it to a friend to read, and she said there were way too many characters to keep track of so she stopped reading. He had quite a few, and when you get little bitty snatches from passing characters, like the mailman, or something, maybe you could incorporate that same information somewhere else. Give it a gander and you'll see what I mean.

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: