Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Writing format

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ixifix

Writing format  Reply with quote  

Ok, so i've been writing down a story on and off again for the past few months, and I can't decide what format I should actually write it in.

My first idea, was to write it in a journal format, through the eyes of one person: limited, but effective.

Then recently I've been thinking of writing it in a narrative format.

So my question is: Which do you find to be more effective when your writing?

Anyone?

Anyone at all....

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message
LostInWalmart

iambic pentameter...and pig latin.

now, GO!

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:14 am   View user's profile Send private message
ken
Site Admin

LostInWalmart: King of the useless answers (but frequently funny).

Dude, break in the newbies before giving them sarcasm!

So, Ixifix, what's the story about? Form follows function... really depends on what you are trying to do. Anything can be effective if done well.

3rd person subjunctive pretty much leaves me cold however, and unless your initials are DFW don't try to tell the entire story in footnotes. Smile

Last edited by ken on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:15 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Ferrit Leggings

I tend to prefer first person. However it is limited in that you are mainly getting one point of view but that point of view can be more in depth.

Ken I agree about the footnotes being a pain is the butt. An author that could get away with it because he is funny with the footnotes is Alan Weisbecker with the book Cosmic Bandito's.

Really long link to the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Cosmic-Banditos-C-Weisbecker/dp/0451203062/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4687943-0108619?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174573339&sr=8-1

Link to his site: http://www.aweisbecker.com/

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mllefifi

For really long links, FL, try Tinyurl -- PLEASE!

As for format, the passive voice is really popular these days: "Mistakes were made."

Laughing

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: