Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Writing women

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
FattyFattyPorkFace

Writing women  Reply with quote  

I think I'm having a struggle. I'm not definite, but I think I might be rubbish at writing dialogue and other elements for my female characters. You'd think I'd be more definite about this, but I'm not..I just don't know. It just feels like maybe it's not working.

So, can anyone enlighten me on how to fix it? Any tips?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Amigo

RE: Writing Women  Reply with quote  

I found this interesting.

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

Have you read Dolores Claeborne, Gerald's Game or Lisey's Story or even The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon? Stephen King is very good at female dialogue.

I think it's because he approaches his women as individual personalities rather than as a gender. That's pretty much what the blogger Wonko recommended was saying - get to know your character. Her voice will come from that.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wonko

Huh?... what?... me?... what'd I say?...blogger?...where?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FattyFattyPorkFace

Re: RE: Writing Women  Reply with quote  

Amigo wrote:
I found this interesting.

But that dude worked on The Core? Have you seen that movie? Seriously?

I guess he has some valid points, but I'm not sure that he executes them too well himself.

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

OK... are they talking to males or other females?

If they're talking to males, you need to do that thing we discussed before & start talking to women!
For the good of your writing, in this case.
Also & more importantly, listen to what they say & how they say it.
I agree with Ginjg's point about individuals-
there are more personality differences within than between the genders...

Now, if it's females talking to each other, it might be a little tricky.
Your best bet might be to eavesdrop on a couple of chicks having a conversation-
if you can find a way to do that without being creepy about it, that is.
Simply listening in the open could be an inhibitor, hence the spying-
but I hope you can find a better way to do it...

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vgndoll

is there any way to let the dialogue sit for a bit and move on? i used to find it hard to write dialogue when i didn't like or completely understand the character (they weren't fully developed etc.) and now, i just wait until they tell me what they would say. i suggest sleeping on it or just let it go for the moment. i mean these people are in your head, so somewhere in there, you know what they would say, it's just a matter of waiting for it to come to your concious mind. good luck.

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:55 am   View user's profile Send private message
Heather Chandler

I agree that you have to focus on your characters as individual personalities rather than gender. However, I recently read an essay that had a few rather interesting points. I think in terms of mentality men and women are generally the same, but when it comes to conversation there are a few distinctions.

Women tend to lean towards talking about more personal things, such as relationships, their families, their kids. They also usually give good indication that they are listening (Yeah, Oh yes, Uh-uh. with different vocal range that gives you the impression they're actually paying attention, even when they're not). They're more polite when it comes to disagreeing. Instead of straight out saying, I don't agree with you, they'll say, That's an interesting point, but...or, I can understand what you're saying, although...

I also have realized that women can't settle for what's in front of them. They think something better will come along. Say they go shopping, they'll try on several different clothes, and although they might find something they like, they will say, "Well, maybe there's something in another store that's nicer..." I think men will just go in, get what they want and leave.

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: