Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Sorry, Chris...
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sgt_steve

There are so many great Vonnegut lines.

"Goddamn it, you've got to be kind."

Or in (I think) "Cat's Cradle" when the first man asks God what the purpose of the universe is. God replies "Does there have to be one?" "Yes," say man. "Then," says God, "I leave it to you to think of one" and departs.

"Babies full of rabies!", also from "Cat's Cradle."

Sigh. What wealth he gave us, both novels and short stories. "Harrison Bergeron." "Welcome to the Monkey House."

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Catch42

The news has affected me as it seems to have all of you...
What a tragic loss to literature and to the world.
R.I.P. Mr. Vonnegut,
"...And so it goes" indeed.

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Beta Male Mike

I had been looking forward to seeing Kurt Vonnegut at Butler University in Indianapolis on April 27th. A few weeks ago, a friend and I went to Butler and waited in a huge line to get free tickets. Hoosiers sure love their Vonnegut. The news media was there filming and interviewing fans. The people at the head of the line had stood out in the cold for 2 to 3 hours. I am still attending the event at Butler where Kurt's son, Mark, will be reading the speech Kurt had planned to say.

This amazing author left a great impact in are world, and his books, with their fabulous dark humor, spoke about real human issues with deep wisdom. Yeah, I wish I would have been able to meet him in person, but I am truely grateful that I was able to meet him through his work. I would like to thank Chris for it was only after reading his books that I was introduced to Kurt Vonnegut.

“Now, when I myself hear that somebody is dead, I simply shrug and say what the Tralfamadorians say about dead people, which is 'So it goes.'”

-- from Vonnegut's 'Slaughterhouse-Five,' 1969

...so it goes.

Chris - I was looking through the writing zines at the bookstore and was happily suprised to see you on the cover of Writer's Digest. The interview was fantastic!

Last edited by Beta Male Mike on Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:12 am   View user's profile Send private message
Beta Male Mike

I love this very Buddhist like excerpt from Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five:

There were two peepholes inside the airlock-with yellow eyes pressed to them. There was a speaker on the wall. The Tralfamadorians had no voice boxes. They communicated telepahtically. They were able to talk to Billy by means of computer and a sort of electric organ which made every Earthling speech sound.

"Welcome aboard, Mr. Pilgrim," said the loud-speaker. "Any questions?"

Billy licked his lips, thought a while, inquired at last: "Why me?"

"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"

"Yes." Billy , in fact, had a paperweight in his office which was a blob of polished amber with three ladybugs embedded in it.

'"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:27 am   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

OK, this is a week late & not related to his books,
but I accidently found a review that Kurt Vonnegut wrote over 40 years ago.
Posting it here just for the hell of it:

http://www.ericberne.com/Kurt_Vonnegut_Review_of_Games_People_Play.htm

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iamjerryright?

Catch42 wrote:
R.I.P. Mr. Vonnegut,

What's sad is a lot of people around where I work have NO idea who he was.

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Joelibris

iamjerryright? wrote:
Catch42 wrote:
R.I.P. Mr. Vonnegut,

The peopleIwork with think he was the lead singer from Nirvana, and I quote "What's the big fuckin' deal? Ain't he bin dead since, like, '94 or '95?" Not making that up.

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:16 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Laveric

Joelibris wrote:
The peopleIwork with think he was the lead singer from Nirvana, and I quote "What's the big fuckin' deal? Ain't he bin dead since, like, '94 or '95?" Not making that up.

Please say it is not the people at the used bookstore... that would be far too depressing.

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

Laveric wrote:
Joelibris wrote:

Please say it is not the people at the used bookstore... that would be far too depressing.

Yay, another reason to be depressed- like life isn't depressing enough...

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:48 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
EagleMorph

iamjerryright? wrote:
Catch42 wrote:
R.I.P. Mr. Vonnegut,

Indeed. Friends of mine never even read "Slaughterhouse-Five" in high school.

I thought that was required reading?

Bah. I can't imagine not having read Vonnegut.[/i]

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Deive

It was required reading in my advance science fiction class but not in my american lit class so shrugs.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: