Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Old Books

Coyote Blue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
gailellen

I am a woman...  Reply with quote  

chris wrote:
I've heard that from a couple of women. It was the obsession with the girl that undid them, they said. The other thing is it's a redemption story, so Sam is a bit of a dick in the beginning of the book. I've written here about this being a problem with both Coyote Blue and Love Nun. You have to be ever so careful in a redemption story that the character is likable before the redemption. That may not be the case with Sam.

I love Coyote Blue! I am a bit more than half done, and getting sad I am close to finishing it. IMO Sam is much less of a dick then Tuck, I still can't stand Mr. Case. Sam has reasons for his dickness, Tuck is just a jerk. At least Sam wrestles with his morals, Tuck doesn't really have any.

Lamb and Coyote Blue are my favorites, and Fluke, and ... well, ok - I like all of them, a lot. Hard to pick a favorite... I like Love Nun the least. I am a bit afraid to say that on this site, so many people deem Love Nun their fav. Once again, Cheesy me, stands alone.

I would be interested to hear comparisons by fellow readers between Tuck and Sam. I think my main reason for liking Sam better is his obsession with one woman, rather then Tuck's obsession with ALL women.

MySpace

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:14 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zip

I just finished it this week. I loved it for Old Man Coyote more than any other reason. While reading it, I knew that Sam would find himself before the end, so I just got off on the coyote for the duration. It made me laugh.

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
web_bod

I really enjoyed the book.

There's enough detail to sketch out the people and places, but not so much that you can't flesh 'em out for your self - I being able to like 'participate' in the storytelling.

My only gripe is that the book is too easy to read, I picked it up Thursday night, finished it this afternoon - it's not a complaint as such... it's just that I would have liked to have spent more time with it - not too much more time - not like "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich", which I've been trying to finish for the last seven years - but a couple of days more wouldn't have hurt.

Maybe if he could type a bit slower in future, slip in to a slower rhythm.

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Nevermore26

I actually liked Sam at the beginning of the book better than how he turned out. Razz Tuck is also one of my favorite AG characters, along with Biff & Raziel, & Catch, & OK... just about all the characters from all his books. Mr. Green

web_bod- Go back & re-read it again. Just do it slower. I read all his books too fast as well, but then go back & soak up all the other stuff I missed while racing to the end. Laughing

Nevermore...

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zendao42

I'm about finish reading it for the second time. Thank you for writing it, Chris!
Love your phrases...
I'd much rather be poleaxed by desire than rat-fucked with a tire iron!

The only the that bothers me is Coyote in Vegas-
now him I want to beat with a stick, but just when he's gambling.
Of course, I never got the whole point of gambling anyway...

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Amigo

chris wrote:
[...]Coyote Blue is the only one of my books other than Lamb that they teach in colleges because it has symbolism and stuff in it. Maybe that's the problem. Symbolism and stuff and weigh you down.

And yet, for me at least, it was because of the symbolism that Lamb and Coyote Blue are my two favorites by far.

And for the sake of honesty, my least favorite was Practical Demonkeeping. I really don't think it was because it was AG's first, and he had not fully honed his skills, but more a matter that I read it last, and had had the benefit of his eventual mastery.

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:23 am   View user's profile Send private message
jetgoddess

Coyote is still one of my favorite characters and it is his relationship with Sam that makes the book for me.

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:19 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
polkadot

It took me a few chapters to get into Coyote Blue as well. For some reason, anything that has to do with SW America seems to be discouraging for me!

I got throught the first couple chapters and the rest of the book was highly enjoyable, one of my favorites.

Like all of Moore's books, I couldn't put it down until I was finished...literally. It's a catch 22. I love the fact that Moore's writings flow so smoothly that you can read it cover to cover with no speed bumps....but at the same time, I wish it took me two years to read each of his books, so I don't have to wait for the next one!

Post Wed May 09, 2007 9:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Xenogeist

I'm currently reading this, so I don't want to read anything in the rest of the thread yet. I will when I'm finished.

But I wanted to come on and thank you for this, Chris, as it comes at an applicable time in my life:

Quote:
"Samson tried to look into the future to see where he would go, what he would do, but any plans he had ever made - and there hadn't been many - were no longer valid, and the future was a thick, white fog...He felt a panic rising in his chest like a scream, then it came to him...He was trying to look into the future too far and it was ruining his balance. He needed to focus on right now, and eventually he would learn what he needed to know when the future got to him. What did Pokey always say? "If you are going to learn, you need to forget what you know."

"My kingdom for a razor-blade cowcatcher and Cuisinart wheel covers to cut my path through this herd of ignorant peasant meat."

Post Sat May 12, 2007 11:33 am   View user's profile Send private message
Xenogeist

Hah! I totally wanna play "Gunning for Nuns"!

"My kingdom for a razor-blade cowcatcher and Cuisinart wheel covers to cut my path through this herd of ignorant peasant meat."

Post Tue May 15, 2007 3:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Joelibris

Coyote Blue is one of my favorites, esp. since it's the book the first introduces Minty Fresh.

Post Mon May 21, 2007 11:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FattyFattyPorkFace

I like Chris's redemption tales (especially as I think I'm writing one myself - not sure yet because it's not finished).

I started with Love Nun and I don't really think there's much redemption in that - Tuck starts off a 'tard and pretty much ends up on as well. But it's a great book (and it was my first).

Coyote Blue, however, is great. I think that the start is tough because Sam isn't just an unlikable guy at that point, he's the MOST unlikable guy at that point. At least for me, so I struggled to relate to him at first. Once you get past that I think the book is great. The symbolism is totally lost on me though. I hate books that make me think - but in a good way.

Post Tue May 22, 2007 7:02 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dr. Fudd

Coyote Blue brings up the regret you have in your own life. "What you don't like in others is what you don't like about yourself." If you can agree that it's a well written story but you don't like it, then the "problem" is the reader. I know dick about Indian culture and I value the personal experience I gained from reading Coyote Blue. Don't be a wimp, finish the book.

P.s. Hey, it took me 250 pages to get into War and Peace. Sometimes you just have to make the sacrifice and stick with something on faith alone.

Come see what movies I watch at http://www.netflix.com/BeMyFriend/P8FOFymfEl6Re4NbSOFx

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Darquewillow_Lily

RE: The Dick-ness

I just finished it, and I love that Sam's kind of a dick in the beginning. It was different. Especially because it showed WHY he was a jerk. And that he KNEW deep down what he was and he didn't like it. By helping Calliope find Grubb he redeemed himself as a human; and because of that he got the balls to face what he was running from. Even if she hadn't gotten shot, I think he would have gone back to the reservation eventually.

Plus, Minty rocks.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Overshine

i just finished this one. I didn't immediately devour it as fast as the others. AND it was my background and interest in native american culture that lead me to be surprised to find it after finishing the vampire books. So understanding the culture and knowing about coyote ahead of time didn't really help very much. but by the time i got to the end i was happy i finished it. Sure i didn't love it as much as some of the others I have read...but in the end i decided the slightly disjointed ill fitting narrative was sort of crazy like coyote of legend, and maybe it was all just one big after all, and you know what, for me that fits.

and no i usually don't bother to puncutate correctly when rambling.

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: