Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Where is the consistency?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
juissez

Where is the consistency?  Reply with quote  

Two different sets of CBS aired radio shock jocks and two different results:

http://www.philippinenews.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=e79936539ec2894f2d6f8846b61f4183

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_135151922.html

Personally I have never listened to any of these guys before, and if I had I would judge them based on the whole of their work, not just what was said on one specific day. I would not support any government action against any of them.

But when I look at the actions CBS took with these two different cases, I become irritated. I want to know why CBS fired Vandergrift and Lay but plan to continuing airing Opie & Anthony. (XM suspended them for 30 days).

Why does CBS consider a crank call to a restaurant (using racial statements) to be so much worse than suggesting the rape and beating of Condi Rice and other high profile women? When did the inconsiderate become worse than the violent?

Post Wed May 16, 2007 10:16 am   View user's profile Send private message
twan_deeth_ree

I'm not aware of the parameters of either of these situations, but there is a difference between joking about being violent and actually being violent.

Post Wed May 16, 2007 10:19 am   View user's profile Send private message
juissez

I agree Twan, but there is also a difference between racial comments made in jest and ones made in hatred

Post Wed May 16, 2007 10:23 am   View user's profile Send private message
CheshireFrog

One instance was merely offensive while the other was racist. Me? Fuck 'em, fire them all.

Post Wed May 16, 2007 11:24 am   View user's profile Send private message
dougp

Using racial stereotyping for humor might, or might not be offensive. If it is, change the tuner. After all, one man's stereotyping is another man's profiling.

Post Wed May 16, 2007 9:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Wonko

CheshireFrog wrote:
... Fuck 'em, fire them all.

Yeah! Get those talent-free hacks off the radio so I can listen to music in the mornings again.

I remember a time when the FM stations played music and talk shows were relegated to the AM stations. Now all the FM stations play these moronic syndicated talk shows, and I have to have my clock radio set to an AM station in order to hear any music in the morining. Evil or Very Mad

And why is everybody doing prank phone calls? The last I knew, prank phone calls fell under the category of wire fraud, and were against the law.

*Okay, end of rant, sorry.*

Post Wed May 16, 2007 10:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fortune cookie

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by CheshireFrog:
... Fuck 'em, fire them all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One can only hope.

Post Wed May 16, 2007 11:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: