Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

New forum, too

Do you think breaking Politics out of the general discussion is a good idea?
Yes
78%
 78%  [ 18 ]
No - not necessary
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
No - too many forums already
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
No - Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't care
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 23

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
ken
Site Admin

New forum, too  Reply with quote  

So politics is the other one. I thought that if you put all that potentially divisive, politically oriented, partisan stuff in here, folks who want to stay away from it can do so.

Personally, I love it. Read my blog (http://kensblog.fricklas.com) if you want to know my orientation... but let's just say Howard Zinn (http://www.progressive.org/oct03/zinn1003.html) and I see eye-to-eye.

Have fun, folks.

Post Sun May 02, 2004 11:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Lara

Great Idea!  Reply with quote  

I think it's a good idea, too. Not that the general discussion forum can't handle the politics, it's just now there's no reason for anyone (me included) to be upset when politics enters the discussion. However, Ken, you have now given me a place to dump the outrageous amount of information I usually reserve for the radio board. I will parse through it, tho, to respect the wonderfully diverse group of people we have here. Politics aside/included, we must all be super-fly because we worship CM.

I've been searching other authors' sites and checking out the occasional discussion board and I tell you, I have not found another author who has managed to bring together so many cool people. People who have kept the conversation going, hot and steamy, for years.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1286305849

Post Sun May 02, 2004 1:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lunkwill

Great Idea

Rick Warren - The Purpose Driven Life

Post Sun May 02, 2004 4:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ken
Site Admin

Well if you're going to be that way about it...  Reply with quote  

I can already see what rightwing talk radio and $200M will buy you...
Next thing you know they'll be trying to convince us that Kerry said he invented the internet.

Post Sun May 02, 2004 9:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
lunkwill

Come on Ken, many on your side are getting tired of Kerry already.
A Mickey Kaus article on Slate cites one Democrat blogger asking "At what point do Democrats begin to consider that they haven't nominated this guy yet?" James Ridgeway, a liberal columnist for The Village Voice writes "With the air gushing out of John Kerry's balloon, it may be only a matter of time until political insiders in Washington face the dread reality that the junior senator from Massachusetts doesn't have what it takes to win and has got to go." "Dem leaders" he says," are going to be very sorry they screwed Howard Dean."

Can you tell me you want Kerry for anyother reason then he is not Bush?

If so you want and defrend his record of supporting both sides of an issue. How many flip flops would it take for you to see a trend here?

Post Mon May 03, 2004 5:01 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Think insane.

I think it's a good idea for exactly the reason Ken gave in the first post. I moderate the politics forum at one of the big Macintosh message boards, and it is nothing but a flame-fest. Its pretty well divided itself into two camps, and they do nothing but post nasty comments every time they disagree with another member. The only time they can have a rational conversation is when it's just one side participating. As soon as someone with an opposing view enters the thread, it all goes down hill with lots of name calling and venom. It's stupid and tedious, and I spend a lot of time editing posts and locking threads. If you put politics in it's own forum, people like me, that are sick of the whole thing, can just ignore it.

thinkinsane at mac dot com
AIM: thinkpsychotic

Post Mon May 03, 2004 9:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lunkwill

I think you can have an exchange of veiws without name calling. The problem comes when someone has no facts to back up their issue. Then the debate boils down to emotion not logic and the name calling begins. On the abortion debate I never once called anyone a name I stood by my issue using facts. When questions where raised like"No female quotes", I provided them. But the other side could not argue with anything but emotion because the facts are against their argument so the name calling begins.

Post Mon May 03, 2004 9:17 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sara Leigh

I guess it all comes down to how you define "facts." The Bible doesn't count as fact. Sorry. Particularly when it comes to law. Remember that thing called separation of church and state? Bible:church as Law:state.

Post Mon May 03, 2004 9:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jill

abortion thread  Reply with quote  

On the abortion thread: From what I can remember, Lunkwill, you didn't post much more than quotes. When I debate with someone, I want to know what THEY think and why. Otherwise, I can only assume you're just another brainwashed sheep in the herd. Any idiot can be a parrot.

Post Mon May 03, 2004 11:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lunkwill

Go back and read before making statements without merit. I posted the statistic on Adoption numbers verses blanket statements that were made. As for the quotes from the Bible and religious leaders, they were valid since the discussion was on Priest blessing a march that is clearly against the Bible.

Post Mon May 03, 2004 12:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ken
Site Admin

NOW w/ Bill Moyers and the march on Washington.  Reply with quote  

There was a fascinating article on NOW last week about the march, and all the religious organizations that were there to support women's freedom.

Check it out at : http://www.pbs.org/now/

Video and a transcript should be available in a few days.

Post Mon May 03, 2004 12:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: