Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

Tampa, Carolina, Anaheim

What Would Make You Watch Ice Hockey
More Scoring
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
More Fighting
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Cheerleaders
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Gimmicks - like the glowing puck
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A gun to my head
61%
 61%  [ 8 ]
A superstar like Gretzky, not like Jean-Sebastien Giguere
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
LostInWalmart

Tampa, Carolina, Anaheim  Reply with quote  

Last night, the Anaheim (formerly "Mighty") Ducks won the Stanley Cup with a 6-2 win over the Ottawa Senators. No one watched (slight exaggeration, but not by much). The Washington Post reported this victory in a 2-inch piece at the bottom corner of the sports page.

What's wrong? Hockey is exciting and fast-paced. It's not a defenseless score-fest like basketball, an extra-innings yawn-fest like baseball, nor is it prone to 0-0 ties like soccer (which I love, so let it go).

Three arguments I've heard are: 1) that I didn't grow up with it (no ice) so I don't care. Fair enough. But you could try. 2) that teams like Tampa, Carolina and Anaheim win, so who cares? This I can't argue with. Seriously, Tampa as the capital of US/Canadian hockey? 3) I can't follow the puck/the rules are confusing. Well, you're retarded. I can't help you.

What I think is really wrong:

Too many teams. The league got over-expansionized (shut up, it's a word!). When the Thrashers play the Blue Jackets, I wonder if maybe we're talking about arena football. Ditch 10 teams and you wouldn't miss them.

Too many playoff games. Every single series is best of seven. In order to win the Stanley Cup, you need to win 16 games. 16! That's how many games there are in the NFL regular season. There should only be 7 game series for conference finals and the final finals, please. The damn thing ends in June - not hockey season.

This year, with rule changes, there is less fighting and more scoring, two big advances, in my opinion.

So tell me, what would make you watch ice hockey?

B

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:05 am   View user's profile Send private message
deb

I watched the game. What makes me watch hockey is Ron. Ben and I watched the game together.

It was good. First game I have watched since he got sick 3 years ago. They'd gone on strike, he didn't get to watch another professional game. All he wanted to do is watch the sport he'd grown up playing, watching, enjoying. I was that pissed, I didn't watch hockey until last night.

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:20 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Katy O

The last time I watched hockey, the Stars were winning the Stanley Cup. Which I missed being able to drink Dom Perignon out of by about three weeks. Oh, yeah, those guys dented it up dropping it into a hot tub.

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:07 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Dvorah70

I'm a huge hockey fan...  Reply with quote  

living in a city with a poor pro team and a fantastic semi-pro team.

I wanted the Sens to win it...I had watched Dany Heatley play in college and then as a Thrasher (my local semi-pro team is affiliated with the Thrashers). I was hoping for spectacular and got barely mediocre...

It was disappointing for sure.

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Notdeadyet

Have I mentioned my daughter has an ENORMOUS (size of a soccer ball) hockey tape ball with a whole bunch of signatures on it including a lady that played women's hockey in the Olympics, and Fedorov in gold gel pen? While we were waiting for him to sign at training camp the someone asked if he had ever signed a tape ball before and he said no.... Laughing
T.v. = time, I would watch more if I had more time... Cool
Also, I watched more when I actually knew more about the players, they all went on strike, traded whatever, I'm just not that into it anymore.... Sad
Yes, right on with the great one.... I want heroes my kids can look up to.... not I got into a drunken limo wreck people.... Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message
EagleMorph

I'm a huge hockey fan and an insane Pittsburgh Penguins fan.

Have no fear, hockey's premiere trophy (the Stanley Cup) will move from the West Coast and the Ducks to a city that actually sees snow very soon.

If you have a chance, watch the Penguins. They are, and will continue to be, one of the most exciting teams in hockey with THE most exciting player. Sidney Crosby.

He'll be 20 in August.

Some video evidence of Sid the Kid's greatness:

(Goal while falling backwards)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4o6M7zO4s4

(Great pass from Crosby to fellow star Evgeni Malkin, who scores)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtomTdavWKw&mode=user&search=

(Crosby scores from stomach)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc1cgmN_oLM

Just keep looking on YouTube if you want more!

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dougp

Reposted because you hockey fans need something to tide you over.

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2841842

No need to thank me.

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Notdeadyet

WOOT! Don't forget Clark!!! he's smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
http://www.onfrozenblog.com/2007/04/04/clark-the-canadian-hockey-goalie/

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message
fortune cookie

Since I've never played it, am not familiar with it.
Hockey holds mostly no interest for me.
Not being proficient at ice skating has a large influence in my
lack of interest.
I live where the lakes freeze over in winter, so no excuse there.
I just kinda figure, if I wanna see guys beating each other with sticks,
I could go back to the old neighborhood.

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message
LostInWalmart

I'd watch the Penguins (with a gun to my head) but I've got Alexander the Great in my backyard (not literally, put the phone down).

Alexander Ooooooovechkin!

B

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:52 am   View user's profile Send private message
Dvorah70

Sidney rocks!  Reply with quote  

What a talented kid.

I used to do a lot of work with Blackhawk Charities and hung out with a lot of players. They are some of the best golfers that I have ever played with (uh..did that sound bad??). I was a goalie girl and have signed goal sticks from Thibault and Passmore.

And then, I married a former football player (a defensive end at that). Talk about weird....

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:38 am   View user's profile Send private message
Notdeadyet

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MFroEUToyaY&mode=related&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MeiC-0M6Er4
I would totally watch sled hockey on t.v., if you know any of the players it's great!! check it out! Cool

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: