Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Net Neutrality? Nah!

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Amigo

Net Neutrality? Nah!  Reply with quote  

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

"(AP) The Justice Department on Thursday said Internet service providers should be allowed to charge a fee for priority Web traffic.[...]

Supporters of Internet regulation have said that phone and cable companies could discriminate against certain Web site and services. However, the agency said it will continue to monitor and enforce any anticompetitive conduct to ensure a competitive broadband marketplace."

Yeah, OK, well that sure puts my mind at ease.

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:47 am   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

They already do - dial-up, 3 flavors of DSL, FIOS, T1 & T3, etc. which are essentially different lanes on the information highway.

You want priority and speed? Pop for the T3 at $2000.00 a month.

Beyond that they'd have to monitor content to determine priority.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
fortune cookie

Is there ANYTHING these baboons can't screw up?
Never thought I'd miss the cave and mountain Lion.

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message
deb

Ginjg wrote:
They already do - dial-up, 3 flavors of DSL, FIOS, T1 & T3, etc. which are essentially different lanes on the information highway.

ow.

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Amigo

Ginjg wrote:

This is exactly what may happen.

Now, regardless of which of those options you have, the internet content is the SAME on all of them. It's just a matter of how quickly it downloads.

What is in danger of happening, thanks to our so-called Justice Department, is that some content will ONLY be available IF you have a "fat pipe," which, of course, they will be glad to provide you..for a hefty price.

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

I'd say it's less about priority than it is about de facto surveillance

~~~~~~~

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
fortune cookie

EXACTLY.

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Kar98

Ginjg wrote:

No dingbat. This is not what this is about.

"they" want to charge extra premiums to content providers for preferred treatment, i.e. CNN would pay x amount to have their web site routed faster than granny smith's knitting page, which would be throttled.

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:13 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fortune cookie

Kar98 wrote:
No dingbat.

Way to get somebody to hear your pov.
While most times I "get" your humor.
I find myself lately, wondering if you actually think before you speak.
Or if you are purposely being droll. I suspect the latter.
Either way, act your age or IQ, whichever is higher, not your emotional age.
Thank you. fc

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:27 am   View user's profile Send private message
Kar98

fortune cookie wrote:
Kar98 wrote:
No dingbat.

Way to get somebody to hear your pov.

Subject has indicated that this is subject's preferred mode of communication.

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ginjg

ya know, I read the article while mutitasking and didn't do the back-up research before stating my opinion. However, It clearly stated "charge some users more money for loading certain content or Web sites faster than others."

I'm sure that I don't need to explain load times to you - it is all dependent upon the server's connection and the consumer's connection.
Right now the only other way to determine whose content or site would get priority is to actively monitor what's getting called and actively bottleneck others in favor of the "VIP content".

I'm sure that you'd like to be able pay to a fee to assure that you would have a cop running traffic breaks for you so that soccer mom with the suv full of kids would be shunted over to the curb while you're dashing off to the deli. But there is a reasonable expectation that the internet, like the roads and the phone lines, will afford everybody equal chance of getting through.

~~~~~~~

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Amigo

Please Read This  Reply with quote  

"The consequences of a world without Net Neutrality would be devastating. Innovation would be stifled, competition limited, and access to information restricted. Consumer choice and the free market would be sacrificed to the interests of a few corporate executives.

On the Internet, consumers are in ultimate control deciding between content, applications and services available anywhere, no matter who owns the network. There's no middleman. But without Net Neutrality, the Internet will look more like cable TV. Network owners will decide which channels, content and applications are available; consumers will have to choose from their menu.

The free and open Internet brings with it the revolutionary possibility that any Internet site could have the reach of a TV or radio station. The loss of Net Neutrality would end this unparalleled opportunity for freedom of expression.

The Internet has always been driven by innovation. Web sites and services succeeded or failed on their own merit. Without Net Neutrality, decisions now made collectively by millions of users will be made in corporate boardrooms. The choice we face now is whether we can choose the content and services we want, or whether the broadband barons will choose for us."

The rest of the article is HERE.

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:48 am   View user's profile Send private message
fortune cookie

"Innovation would be stifled, competition limited, and access to information
restricted. Consumer choice and the free market would be sacrificed to the
interests of a few corporate executives."

Isn't that exactly what they want?

Remember when TV was free?
Radio was too, XM and Siris now have people paying for that.

The worse it is for us and freedom of choice.
The better the chance, it will come to pass.

And we'll all just sit there and take it.
Dumbasses.

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:23 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: