Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Just wondering

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
leprrkan

Just wondering  Reply with quote  

This is in NO WAY meant to be an excuse or justification for the nut-job at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, but have you ever thought about what it's like to BE him?
I mean, did he start out so fucking crazy as a kid? Was it drugs? Religion? Biology? What is it that has made him so confident, not only in creating his own little corner of reality, but in believing it? I mean, I can think that I am drop-dead georgeous, MENSA level smart, and rolling in cash, but that don't make it true; and at some point, I can realize that. Not only that, he can also make other, apparently smart and semi-sane, people believe it as well.
Beyond that, how does he stand it? If I was as widely reviled as he is, as big a target for ridicule, criticism and scorn (again, I'm not saying he shouldn't be or making a case for being nice to him), I would probably take a hard look at myself and do some serious re-evaluation of who I am as a person. But he's insulated from that type of introspection as well, apparently. I know his wife says he's "sensitive" and his new biographer says he "cries" at night over some of the choices he made, but wouldn't at least one of those be a red flag to most people? If you're crying about your choices, that would seem to indicate that you feel you may have made the wrong ones, right? But come next morning, god's mandate for our country is just as sure and confident as OJ at a verdict.
Do you think it's the influence that other, stronger minds than his have over him, i.e. Rove or Cheney, or a pre-K toddler, for that matter? I'd like to think that he has some redeeming qualities, that when he's not governor or president he's not such a raging douche. I'm sure that his family loves him, and I bet he has friends, but I find it harder and harder to find ANY good in him.
On a side note to that, at my part-time job, both my boss and his wife are supporters of Bush. I asked them why? What is it about him that inspires such confidence and belief? What is it that he's done that, in your opinion, makes him a good president, since that's what you consider him to be? I didn't ask to get into a debate, I didn't ask to be disrespectful, and I didn't ask so that I could tell them how wrong they are and to try and convert them away from the dark side; I asked because I was genuinely curious. Their answer was, and I am repeating this verbatim, that we have not had another attack on American soil since 9/11 and it's due to Mr. Bush, or do I (meaning yours truly) think that that is just a coincidence? I said that I did think it was a coincidence, but our conversation couldn't go any further because one of the other kids in the shop (a very young 22 year-old) interjected his own opinions, which ran along the lines of are you fucking stupid? which works well for Fox news, but discourages civil debate.
This was more of a rant than anything else, but I do really wonder what it would be like to be in that squirrely little head of his, just for a day even. Like him or hate him, I'm just glad I'm NOT.

- "Bones"

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lisa

Re: Just wondering  Reply with quote  

leprrkan wrote:
T Their answer was, and I am repeating this verbatim, that we have not had another attack on American soil since 9/11 and it's due to Mr. Bush, or do I (meaning yours truly) think that that is just a coincidence?

Well...Just tell them from me that the reason no one bothered to attack America after 9/11 was because no one bothered to attack it the first time on 9/11.

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
leprrkan

Quote:
Well...Just tell them from me that the reason no one bothered to attack America after 9/11 was because no one bothered to attack it the first time on 9/11

I have heard that argument, that it was "controlled demolition" that brought the towers down, that the planes were remotely controlled, etc. I just hope to God that that isn't true. It's horrible enough to think that someone would want to orchestrate such death and destruction (and I'm not naive, I know such things happen, and that even worse things happen and are happening now); but it is a thousand times worse to think that we would do that to our own people. Although, history has given us: the Tuskegee experiments, the internment of Japanese/Americans in WWII, the scientific experimentation done on convicted convicts, and others... Confused

- "Bones"

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ginjg

Bush is a spoiled frat boy. None of us could've have got into Yale with his grades.
His sense of entitlement is exponentially higher than his IQ. He could have been the inspiration for Neidermeyer in Animal House. It's very likely he thinks whatever others think of him means nothing because they're all beneath him.

In response to your coworkers

most forget that the WTC was bombed in 1993. It took 8 years for them to get back to that particular target.

The WTC was viewed as a Cathedral of Central World Economic Power. Until we attacked Afghanistan, Bin Ladin's primary complaint against the west had always been that the reason so many millions of arabs suffer in poverty is because the western powers refuses to put pressure on the monarchies to democratize their countries governments and to fairly distribute the profits from the oil industry to the people. BushCo may even have naively believed that Iraq would be viewed as just such pressure. But you can be damned sure that every arab country we do business with was made confident they would remain untouched before any discussion of invading Iraq became public.

Keep in mind that the WTC hits both came shortly after we changed presidents. So we're likely due for something big in 2009. If it wouldn't be disastrous on domestic and economic fronts, it would almost be worth letting another republican win so they could take the blame.

We need to remember that the terrorist war has been active in europe for years. 9/11 was another Pearl Harbor finally waking the US up to what's been going on all along. The difference is that our 21st century enemy is more diffuse and no one country is the culprit*. Unsavory as it is, Espionage and covert strategic operations are going to be more effective than conventional tactics in this particular "war".

*Of course, if Saudi Arabia and the other oil monarchies stopped funneling their countries' wealth to their own coffers and stepped down to allow representative government that would go along way to alleviating the forces drawing their people to the extremist groups in the first place.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
lisa

Ginjg wrote:

The WTC was viewed as a Cathedral of Central World Economic Power.

Yes and no.

Finally it was done away like the Titanic. Pride of the nation. Well. Let's demolish it.

Ginjg wrote:

Until we attacked Afghanistan, Bin Ladin's primary complaint against the west had always been that the reason so many millions of arabs suffer in poverty is because the western powers refuses to put pressure on the monarchies to democratize their countries governments and to fairly distribute the profits from the oil industry to the people. BushCo may even have naively believed that Iraq would be viewed as just such pressure.

That is not just reasoning. It's also not supposed to be the business of the United States. Even now the oil from Iraq and the benefits are not reaching all of the American people but just going into very few people's pockets.

Ginjg wrote:

9/11 was another Pearl Harbor finally waking the US up to what's been going on all along.

That is exactly the point. When Pearl Harbour happens, Hiroshima and Nagasaki happens. No one would dare to do the WTC attacks.

Ginjg wrote:

The difference is that our 21st century enemy is more diffuse and no one country is the culprit

There is always one culprit.

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fortune cookie

Props Ginjg, like minds and all that.
The only dissenting opinion I have is the whole Rep. Dem. thing.
One is truly as bad as the other in this case.
I cannot, do not, believe that one party could pull off such crap,
without at least docile compliance from the other.
It's like "mom and dad", he can't fritter away the life saving on gambling,
if she doesn't allow it, and vice versa.

Lisa, how is it, I can understand you perfectly in one sentence.
Then the next, feel as if someone dropped blotter acid in my kool-aid?
Confused

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:00 am   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

Don't get me wrong FC. The Dems are not better, they're just more like the lenient parent. Their track record shows they are more likely to put a little positive action towards issues that affect the general population. if we have to live in a "two steps forward, three steps back" system, we have the responsibility to press for those willing to make the progressive steps as often and as long as possible so we can possibly get an extra step or two before we hit the regress again.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:12 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: