Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

In case you needed another reason to hate the "war"

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
leprrkan

In case you needed another reason to hate the "war"  Reply with quote  

I've mentioned before that my brother is a US soldier, stationed at Ft. Benning and currently deployed for the third time to Iraq. I know that some of you here have been as well, and I'd like to ask a rather personal question: has it changed you? This can be a rhetorical question, as it's not one I really have any business asking. I do, however, have a reason for asking it.

It has changed my brother. Not in big ways, but each time he comes back a little less himself, a little more... dark... I don't know how else to explain that. I know that it must be hell to face combat, especially given the way things are going over there. And I know that in the military, and in other professions, one develops a dark sense of humor to stay alive and stay sane. But those little changes can be disturbing.

Here's what I mean. When he got back the first time, one of my brother's favorite things to do was go to a website that exists solely for the purpose of showing some of the most horrific and disturbing images possible (e.g. decapitated children from the genocide in Rwanda), and he though they were "cool". This weekend, in talking to him about how he's been on this tour, he was telling me about how he's been guarding prisoners at a compound. He took a lot of pleasure in telling me about being able to "tag" detainees in the head with tear gas bullets, since they can't really "fuck 'em up in any other way". It's my brother saying this stuff. Shit that would make me punch someone else.

He's becoming someone that is opposed to almost all of what I believe. He joined the Army to provide for his wife when she got pregnant. He's good at what he does and the Army has done some good things for him. But it's also stealing his soul, and that's something I hate.

- "Bones"

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lisa

Well, we have a saying. We must deal with people taking into consideration the changes in effect through experiences, through new friends, through new relationships. Otherwise we will sustain the damage.

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LostInWalmart

Reason #4,132  Reply with quote  

My friend Mike (mentioned in a previous politics post) deploys to Iraq today for 15 months. So, the best case scenario is that he comes back in January 2009.

B

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:44 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

Re: Reason #4,132  Reply with quote  

LostInWalmart wrote:
My friend Mike (mentioned in a previous politics post) deploys to Iraq today for 15 months. So, the best case scenario is that he comes back in January 2009.

B

Verily, that really sucketh. Let's all hope for something better than that best.

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:31 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
leprrkan

LIW, that sucks man. Where's he headed? maybe it'll be someplace where it's not too bad.

Eric goes back Tuesday and, as he told me, "I'll be back in June"... and he's not going to be a guard anymore, he's going back to an FOB just North of Baghdad, so more stories of running over multiple IED's every day.
*sigh* Confused

- "Bones"

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LostInWalmart

He doesn't know (or won't tell) where in Iraq, but he'll be pulling convoy duty. puckerpuckerpucker.

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:12 am   View user's profile Send private message
leprrkan

Quote:
but he'll be pulling convoy duty.

Confused shit Confused

Thoughts and prayers, B

- "Bones"

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:31 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: