Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Choose a Candidate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Aubie

I'm gonna be totally crass, but seriously? I would like to have someone who actually knows there are 50 states and who George Washington is in making decisions affecting my life.

As much as it sucks, people with money are typically more educated. Common sense wise it would help to have the every-day man. But when it comes to tax reform or trade embargos? Terrorism? World War?

If it was all about money, Perot would have won.

FDR? IMHO the greatest President in American history? Rich.

A 'visible' minority?? I'm not going there, but it seems like you guys are doing it sooo well.

Don't you like, have royalty in Canada? Do you actually vote for your prime minister? The Senate?

Hi pot, meet kettle. Rolling Eyes

It's pronounced Aw-Bee if you were wonderin.

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Arthur Dent

Aubie,
We have a Constitutional Monarchy, which basically means we have a Queen (for now) but we really don't pay much attention to her, and when we got our own Constitution in 1982 (without firing a single shot, i might add) her role became purely symbolic. She comes accross the pond for tea once ina while and we still love old Liz, but she lets us run our own affairs. If she gets herself into a war, we'll likely send her the best troops in the world again (Ahhhh, memories of WWI and WWII), and her representative over here is chosen by Parliament. He/she grants Royal Ascent to every piece of Federal Legislation on her behalf ("Yep, sounds like you guys know what you're doing, have at it.") which has yet to be refused.

Our Representative are elected from individual Ridings based not on 2nd tier geographical divisions (States and Provinces) but on poulations withing geographic areas. For example, there are a large number of politicians elected within the greater Toronto and Vancouver areas (dense populations, literally at times), and one representative from the northern half of the whole province of Manitoba. I believe the Northwest Territories, Yukon Territory, and Nunavut have one each, and throughout the nation there are between 300 and 310. The vast majorities of these people are members of political parties, who themselves select their own leaders. The leader of the party with the largest number of seats after an election is the Prime Minister, he selects his Cabinet, they try to make their mandate a reality, and everybody goes for beers after work. Not a perfect system, but it's the way we do things.

Powers and responibilities are distributed through Federal, Provincial (State down there), and Municipal levels in much the same ways as the american system. Our provincial governments function in the same manner as the federal government.

School's out. It's thanksgiving Day here, so I should be relaxing, not sitting naked in front of my computer balanced precariously on a mountain of AG books daydreaming of pumpkin pie...

EDIT: Sorry Aubie, I forgot an important one: Our Senate is Appointed, you must be old to be appointed (I think 55 might be the minimum, but I could be wrong) and they are usually long-serving politicians who either get tossed out by a fluke of the electorate or are too tired to campaign anymore. There has been talk about Senate Reform here for 25 years, but so far.... The Senate won't hear of it. They cannot be forced to retire or even show up more than one day per year. Most Senators keep their seats until they are to infirm to stay awake, upright, or control their bodily functions. Senators are appointed by the Prim Minister when a seat becomes available through retirement (rare), scandal (rarer), or death (fairly common).

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Aubie

Quote:
Not a perfect system, but it's the way we do things.

And while ours is not perfect, it's how we do things. Despite what other countries/people may think, there are still very patriotic people here and I'm one of them.

While our constitution may seem like rhetoric to you, it's ours. Not yours. I don't see any of the things you listed being done in your own government so therefor it's ironic to me for you to wag your finger at us like we're bad little children.

It may not have been your intent, and it could be that I'm stressed/sleepy/hungry (none of these ever lead to a happy Aubie.)

It's pronounced Aw-Bee if you were wonderin.

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
leprrkan

Don't make Aubie mad AD, she'll send you pictures of a creepy tiger tormenting other animals Very Happy

You know, Aubie, I only mock AU out of jealousy. I went to a University most people have never even heard of... Laughing

- "Bones"

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arthur Dent

Aubie wrote:
Quote:
Not a perfect system, but it's the way we do things.

And while ours is not perfect, it's how we do things. Despite what other countries/people may think, there are still very patriotic people here and I'm one of them.

While our constitution may seem like rhetoric to you, it's ours. Not yours. I don't see any of the things you listed being done in your own government so therefor it's ironic to me for you to wag your finger at us like we're bad little children.

It may not have been your intent, and it could be that I'm stressed/sleepy/hungry (none of these ever lead to a happy Aubie.)

No, that wasn't my intent. The only real difference I can see between our systems of government is that it is a lot easier to be one of the people running the government if you're just... average. Sure there are politicians running this country who grew up sucking silver spoons, but there are also politicians past and present who grew up dirt poor on reservations. Our prime minister is not elected by the entire country and sitting at his/her own level of government with as much authority and power as your president. Honestly, I don't think that's a good thing.

If, as in our current situation here, the ruling party forms a minority government, they must tread very carefully and work with the opposition or face a non-confidence vote. If the ruling members can't work with a majority opposition (we have several parties here and a couple independents), we go back to the polls. In this kind of position, if the opposition wishes, we could return to the ballot boxes within weeks after an election. We aren't necessarilly stuck with a bozo running the country for 4 years.

In general, I have no animosity towards the american people, the people they elect to represent them, on the other hand aren't always the best choices. I also disagree with this idea of your leader only being able to be your leader for 8 years at most. If you've got a good person for the job, why force them into retirement? Of course, this clause could also be a real benefit to you all in 2008... Just sayin'

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

Arthur Dent wrote:
Ya know, You folks down there south of the 49th would really benefit from having the whole works of people in charge actually be people who at some point in their lives were:

a) Homeless
b) Starving
c) A Visible Minority
d) Detached from "old" money
e) All of the above.

"By the people for the people"? Come on, more like "By the people with money and influence for the people with money and influence". I'm not saying things are that much more fair up here, but on the whole, I'm much happier knowing that I've got former Doctors, Teachers, Carpenters, Millwrights, and any of a few dozen previous occupations running my government, not just mainly the kings of business and industry.

Arthur,

What we have now is drunk, moderately retarded, and delusional. These characteristics used to be what illustrated a stereotypical starving homeless person with no money so we are part way there.

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Arthur Dent

Ouch

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: