Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Another Modest Proposal
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lonely Tylenol

! Ugh.  Reply with quote  

Figures, I forgot to log on. How embarassing. The previous post would be me. Sorry.

It'd probably be wise to add that I'm not necessarily a Hillary fan myself, but from a completely neutral viewpoint she would be the most likely bid for election among the Democratic candidates, especially with the elimination of the minority leader Daschle. Obama would be a likely candidate, but not in '08; he would not have enough time in four years in the Senate to have a concrete position on which to run. Not to mention he would not be popular enough as a figure by then.

Probably the best thing going for Hillary is that people might vote for her with the promise of going back to the Clinton years and the consequential economic boom.

Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:38 am   View user's profile Send private message
Sara Leigh

The main problem I see with Hillary is the intense hatred and villification she still receives from a considerable number of people. I've never understood why they hate her, since she really didn't do anything other than try to develop a national health plan that the wonderful health insurance industry did not want. All the investigations into alleged wrong-doing came to naught, but people just seem to have forgotten that, or just prefer to think that she got away with whatever. After the whole Monica fiasco, it didn't matter what her response was. She was damned if she left Bill and damned if she stood by him in the eyes of those who do not like her. Apparently, an intelligent woman who doesn't "know a woman's place" (according to a certain perspective) is a real threat to a lot of people. This presents a big liability when you think of her as a candidate for President in 2008. Much as I like her, I'd rather someone else without her undeserved baggage be the candidate.

Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Think insane.

I will tell you exactly why I have no use for her. Like many other rust-belt type places, my are was home to a great many industrial and manufacturing plants. Blue collar workers were able to make a good living here. But by and by, the plants started closing, and jobs became the big issue. Along comes Hillary on the campaign trail. She comes to town, and I stood there and listened to her saying how she is going to bring 200,000 new jobs to upstate new york. How if we have a plant that is going to close, she'll be right there with our local politicians to do everything she can to keep those plants open. She'll be there for us if she's elected our Senator!

So, a couple of years ago, International Paper decides they are going to close unless they can get some kind of tax credit. The local politicians are working their balls off trying to get something done, and they needed help. They called Hillary, she said she would be there. They called and called. Finally, they were told by someone in her office that and I remember this quote clearly, "The Senator has far more pressing things on her agenda". Hey, thanks for being there, skank.

So, fast forward one year. Now Nestle is going to close their plant here, the oldest chocolate plant in the country. The birthplace of Nestle qwik. 1000 people are about to be out on their asses in a bad economy. But nestle, they are willing to listen to offers. Someone says "Call Hillary, she said she would help". So, the calls start again. And again. And again. Not even a return phone call. Finally, someone says "Fuck it, call that other guy, see if he'll help". So they do. THE NEXT DAY, Sen. Schumer is here, meeting with Nestle's officials. By then, it's too late. Nestle has decided that they are moving that operation to Brazil, but Schumer brokers a deal in which Nestle donates the plant, and all the equipment contained in it to the City of Fulton. A lot of people were pissed about that, thinking great, not only did we lose the jobs, but now we lost the tax revenue from the property.

But it turns out Schumer wasn't done. While people were grousing about lost tax revenue, Ol' Chuck was out shopping the place around, and recently struck a deal with an West African cocoa consortium to buy the plant and resume production, with an agreement that all displaced Nestle workers be given first preference for Jobs. THat plant reopens in two weeks.

At the polls, people remembered what Schumer did. They'll remember what Hillary did as well.

thinkinsane at mac dot com
AIM: thinkpsychotic

Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sara Leigh

And if she doesn't get re-elected as a Senator, there's obviously a good reason. I don't think the vast majority of the people who despise her, though, have a clue as to what she's been doing since 2000. They just don't like her, and nothing she does will change that. Which is why I don't think she's a good candidate.

Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
hdm

I have to go with Sara Leigh on this one. As much as I would like to see a woman in the White House, I don't really think it will ever be Hillary, because she's been vilified by the press and the republicans. Whatever she does, she's seen as a feminazi ballbreaker, and not very approachable. That's part of what I think Kerry's problem was. He didn't have any street cred when it came to giving tax breaks to the middle class. He was wealthy and standoffish. Besides, he was so butchy. And an obvious ball breaker.

Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:48 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: