Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Re;StupidestAngel Q&A #8

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
selene skye

Re;StupidestAngel Q&A #8  Reply with quote  

Hi Chris,
You are so right on the money with Kurt Vonnegut and Hitchhiker's. I think I was like 12 when my cousin gave me a copy of Cat's Cradle for Christmas (along with a forbidden Ramones record) and I spent the next day curled up with my spotted Abyssinian, devouring the book like a piece of the best sweet potato pie with a whole can of whip cream. I think Sphinx just hung around to sip the eggnog.
I spent the following day downtown at the bookstore and emptied it out of all of Kurt's books. I think I averaged a book a day, ending with Happy Birthday Wanda June. I was a freshman in HS at the time,and our Eng. Lit. prof. had given us a book report assignment. Poor Mr. T, he would always stare into me at the moments he was handing out the report outline. This time he spoke thus, "The book you choose must be fiction, the topic within the parameters of age appropriate taste. That means, Harlan Ellison's literature is a big no no."and he glared at meuncertainly while I grinned and the other kids chuckled.
I can not even express how grateful I am to those people who's gift of literary gab changed the course of my development as a child.
The sweetest gift is the gift of language wrapped in fables, myths, and tales like a box of the sweetest Godiva truffles.
O, and Chris, my copy of Lamb has been soooo passed around the place I work, and everyone who has read it has come back to me looking like this Shocked and begging me for another hit of your tales. Sequined love nun has just begun making its rounds.
O,and the book report I handed in that Christmas was on Mother Night and I did get an A. Mr. T pretty much gave up on trying to leash my capacity for comprehension and elouqent tirades after that. Very Happy

Post Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jillybeans

I couldn't help but notice that the next book written will be about death. As some of us have been caretakers for our loved and not so loved ones how about we share them here, if that's okay with you guys? I will if you will.

Post Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:30 am   View user's profile Send private message
Sara Leigh

Why don't you start a new thread in this forum for sharing death stories, so people can find it easily? I have a caretaking story, but I have to work myself up to sharing it.

Post Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Klari

I'm really wondering if the Oregonian will print all of that, especially the bit about Jesus being a Republican. The Oregonian for the most part is a Republican, biased rag. They endorsed the evil Gordon Smith and helped spread the lie that he was green. Gordon Smith was the Mormon bisphop of Pendleton, owns a frozen foods company in Eastern Oregon and expected the taxpayers to clean up the pollution from his company.

Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Lonely Tylenol

I recommend the whole "Hitchhiker's" five-book trilogy, specifically "Life, the Universe, and Everything".

But it isn't "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe", it's "Galaxy". On a similar note, "Mostly Harmless" is my second favorite of the series.
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~ Mahatma Ghandi

Captain Obvious! Up, up, and away!

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: