Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Re: Tours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lonely Tylenol

Quote:
What have we learned from this incident, Tylenol?

I would say two things.

1. I'm mental, and will pounce at the slightest provocation.
2 God truly is on my side, and will smite you if I tell Him too. We're like Peanut Butter and Jelly, baby. So when you see plagues of locust on your doorstep tomorrow, don't ask questions. Okay? Okay.

1. I thought you were just jumping to conclusions. You had a point the first time, but this time I decided to speak on my own behalf.

2. That's a long, LONG flight for locusts, to Hawai'i. I mean, five and a half hours by jet. I wouldn't count on it.

A third thing we learned is that irony is a serious bitch, kinda like phobias. But that's another matter.
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~ Mahatma Ghandi

Captain Obvious! Up, up, and away!

Post Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Jillybeans

Hillary wrote:
At least, that's what my Cheerios tell me.

Is Hillary talking to her food AGAIN!!! Someone quick while she's not looking, put some meds into her bowl. Nice lady...odd...but you gotta love her.

Post Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:55 am   View user's profile Send private message
Lonely Tylenol

Quote:
Is Hillary talking to her food AGAIN!!!

I talk to my food all the time, specifically cerial and soup. It's when your food talks back that you should start to worry.
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~ Mahatma Ghandi

Captain Obvious! Up, up, and away!

Post Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Lindazilla

Signing Back Stock?  Reply with quote  

Ok. I called my local bookstore yesterday to ask if Chris would be signing all of his books, or just TSA. The clerk at the store said he would be signing "back stock". I asked if that meant that I could bring copies of the books I already own, and the clerk said "yes".

At no time did the clerk say that I was required to purchase anything from that specific store. ... But ... I've been to signings at this store, and I knew from those experiences that they rule with an iron fist at most events. Many times they will not even allow photographs to be taken.

Today, I wandered over to the store to purchase a couple of copies of TSA to give as gifts. As the female clerk was ringing me up, I asked again about back stock. This clerk initially said "NO". When I quizzed her further, she said he'd sign his older stuff if I purchased it there. I pointed out that this was not what I was told over the phone. (Not to mention the fact that TSA is the only Moore book they even have in hardback.)

Well, she changed her tune (somewhat) and told me that I had to be able to prove I had been a customer of that store to be able to get my books signed. She indicated that if I brought the two books I just purchased (with receipt) I should be able to get my other books signed .. you know .. as long as I didn't have "too many".

She wasn't able to tell me what constitutes "too many".

What really ticks me off about this is that I have shopped at this store for well over 10 years ... and just a few months ago .. on the very day they were scheduled to have BILL CLINTON there for a book signing .. I purchased paperback copies of every..single..Moore..book..available. (I won't loan out my hardbacks.)

So, apparently, if I'm unable to produce that receipt .. I may or may not be able to get those books signed. And since I still don't know what "too many" is, I don't even know if they'll let me whip out my hardback copies.

I know none of this has anything to do with Chris. I just needed to vent.

Last edited by Lindazilla on Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Sara Leigh

Take 'em all in a tote bag. When you get up to where Chris is sitting, whip 'em out, along with the receipt for the two you just bought. He signed all my books (and I had them all) when I went to his Fluke signing last year. Granted, it was a Borders, but I only bought Fluke that night and brought the rest in a bag. They might be less inclined to make a big stink if Chris is sitting there, willing to sign whatever you brought. You can always 'splain that you got conflicting messages over the phone and from a cashier.

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lindazilla

Thanks. I'm going to do just that.

Here is the response I received to my e-mail inquiry:

Quote:
Absolutely! As long as you buy 1 copy of Stupidest Angel here you can have his backlist signed. At this point we have no quantity limit and he is so nice I am sure that he will sign all of your books.

I feel sooooooooooo much better. Now I'll do the Snoopy Dance of happiness.

Last edited by Lindazilla on Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Sara Leigh

Take a copy of the e-mail with you, just in case. Smile

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lauren

Hi Lindazilla,

Signings depend a lot on bookstore policy, but also on the author and publisher's rules, too. You should always buy a copy of the book at the store where the signing is, because, well, it's nice - to the hosting store and to the author. But a lot of authors won't mind if you bring copies from home to sign, too. I had an old hardcover of Coyote Blue I brought with me to CM's signing last summer, and he signed that in addition to the books I'd purchased that night.

If you have a big ol' stack and there's a crowd of people, booksellers (and the other people in line for the signing) will appreciate it if you just have him sign a couple of books, and then go to the back of the line for the rest, so everyone gets a turn (just like preschool Smile ). If you're not sure how many is too many, just ask Chris when you get to him - "Do you want me to get back in line so other people can see you?" He's wicked nice, so don't be nervous asking him.

Some authors have a person there playing Bad Cop, cutting people off after a certain number of books. I don't think CM has one of those. I have a nightmare author appearance story from my bookstore days that I'll abridge here - a very popular, local children's author did a signing for us. She has to have 40 books out. There must have been at least 200 people in line to see her. Because there was no limit, there were people with every book she'd ever written, expecting her to personalize each one. And no one would step out of line after a few and go back to the end. Holy rude. The day ended with a lot of unhappy customers when we had to start limiting signed books. I lost track of how many people yelled at me. It was crazy.

So, yeah, if you have a ton, take the rest of the crowd into consideration, but usually the Author Guy is willing to sign whatever you have.

Have fun!

Post Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:11 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: