Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

Irrational fears.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
abbynormal92243

heebie jeebie makers for me  Reply with quote  

...I will NOT let my toes slip under my bed at night. I've been known to take running leaps onto the bed to give as wide a space as possible in case a monster sticks its hairy arm out and grabs my ankle.

I'm afraid of roaches. I have trained my dog to attack anything small that moves---all she has to hear is my yipe and she is right there to do her duty.
She has saved my life many many times. It's cut down on my climbing on countertops to get away from them.

I used to be afraid of letting my kids walk to school--I have a memory of a stranger offering me candy on my way home from school when I was 6, and I had many other scary encounters that just made me careful with my kids.

ah heck
I still worry.
but I let them go.

I used to be afraid of driving across bridges, but it was during a time of tumultuous change--I was also afraid of dying----

I'm at the point now that when I'm feeling a freaky fear I step back and look at what's going on in my life and see if I'm displacing.

Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Blarg

spiders, spiders and more spiders. if I see a spider, i freak. The other day is a prime example. A spider walked across my computer desk and started to climb the wall, I promptly fled to the other side of the room and grabbed my new copy of american gods and threw it at the spider, killing it but unfortunately cracking the paint on my wall.

I'm also afraid of ebay commericals and fandango commercials. dont ask me why, but i flip out when i see/hear them. they will almost make me physically ill.

Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Blinker

Blarg wrote:
spiders, spiders and more spiders. if I see a spider, i freak. The other day is a prime example. A spider walked across my computer desk and started to climb the wall, I promptly fled to the other side of the room and grabbed my new copy of american gods and threw it at the spider, killing it but unfortunately cracking the paint on my wall.

I'm also afraid of ebay commericals and fandango commercials. dont ask me why, but i flip out when i see/hear them. they will almost make me physically ill.

Come by my place and I'll cure you of your fear of spiders. It might even save you some time and money. You won't have to repaint your walls. Very Happy

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:13 am   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

...irrational...  Reply with quote  

I fear scorpions but I guess that isn't irrational...they're demon hell creatures. And we don't have many here in the UK anyway.

My irrational fears are wierd. I have recently started being very afraid of dying. DOn't know why and this would be the first time I've told anyone but myself, so consider yourselves all priviledged and freaked out. Smile

I also have a fear of being alone, unloved, disliked etc etc.

I find it strange that my irrational fears are based on abstract or emotional things rather than physical things. Does that make me wierd? Prolly.

Ta.

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Blarg

I'm sure if other people were to list more of their fears they would get to the emotional fears. I think that makes you normal. Everyone at one point in their life is afraid of dying and things like being alone, etc.

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:55 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger ICQ Number
conspiracies unlimited

rational vs irrational  Reply with quote  

Hieghts, inclosed/small spaces, and the inability to move about freely (akin to cluastrophobia, but with a twist)... all three are perfectly natural fears!!!

Born-again/fundamentalist christians -- perfectly natural fear, but my wife says its starting to border on paranoia

the dead raising from the grave and me and a hand-full of misfits have to fend them off... ok, thats more of a fantasy than a fear

Then there are the fears I have concerning other people... My wife thinks I should be on meds...
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message
beeropotamus

ahoy folks...haven't ever tinkered with a message board, so err...bare with me please Shocked

Irrational fear eh? Oh yeah...I've got one. Open spaces. Well, more specifically, the lack of anything on the horizon..(I didn't realize this would be so hard to explain!) the idea of a sensory deprivation tank scares the bejesus out of me. Or err..floating around in space..horrid!

In illustration, my father and I were on a nice drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff years ago. We were having a good time, talking, etc. whilst driving up a winding mountain. On one side, for most of the journey, was (obviously) the mountain, and on the other solid trees. All of a sudden, the trees stopped, and all you could see was sky. This being the semi-desert-turns-forrest, there were zero clouds. Just mind melting blueness from here to kingdom come. Full on anxiety attack. (I'm assuming that's what it was, I'd not had one previous, or since) on coming traffic be damned, I flipped the car right around.

It's happened a few times since then, namly when drunk, and thinking about floating around in space (admit it, you've thought about it too!) How's that for irrational?

Post Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message
KatarinaNavane

i'm afraid of.....  Reply with quote  

I'm afraid of silence. I don't know why, but like soundproof booths and when the classroom goes all quiet during a test, that just scares the crap out of me. I gues it's cuz i'm such an audio oriented person, and music means so much to me, that the worst thing i can imagine is going deaf.

This one time, I climbed up onto this statue on the College Green (of Ohio University, in the town where i live) and when I jumped down I caught my shoulderblade on the edge of the statue. Then I started to feel like I was going to pass out. Since I am (as many teenage girls are) mildly anemic, I sometimes have dizzy spells when I stand up. There's a big word for this, it's something hypotension, but I forget. Anyway, when ever that happens, my vision closes in for a second and it means I need to take a vitamin with iron in it. But That time, not only did my vision close in, but my hearing closed in too. And that scared the crap out of me.

I'm getting off-topic, but this happened at a rally on the day before election day with Micheal Moore and Jesse Jackson, and right when I was feeling like I would pass out, this group of republicans walk by yelling "Bush '04" and I, in tears on my knees and scared to death, still found the energy to yell "FUCK YOU" at the top of my lungs and give them the finger. It was quite theraputic, really. Right after that, I felt much better. My friends who were with me at the time thought this was hilarious.

http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com

http://katarinanavane.etsy.com

Post Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: