Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

this is almost as humiliating as the day

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
edrie

this is almost as humiliating as the day  Reply with quote  

i went to the sammy rescue picnic with tee - after saying how many years i'd handled sammies and how i could handle problem dogs, what do i do? open the door of the motorhome to get out with both leashes in hand - and neither attached to a dog!

resulting mayhem as a park full of sammy owneds chased a free spirited beast enjoying a good game of "you can't CATCH me!!! arOOOOOOOOOoooo!!
my other beast simply ran up to the dogs and chatted them up while pretending he didn't know me.

the woman that finally snared my new beastie (had him less than 24 hrs) smiled and said: You must be Edrie! I'm Beverly, president of San Francisco Samoyed Rescue!!

i wanted to DIE right there on the spot! was sure she wasn't going to let me keep him.

fortunately, i had forgotten in the moment of dire panic that every person there had been sammied before - after all, it WAS San Francisco Samoyed Rescue!

'Embarassed'the job of any respectible samoyed is to instill humility into the human(s) he/she owns.

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:14 am   View user's profile Send private message
edrie

damn! got to stop doing this with no sleep!  Reply with quote  

this post was supposed to be under the gasp gasp thread i screwed up by posting the same comment four times under "guest".

well, ok, what is YOUR most humiliating moment?

forget me, lets talk about me! uh, i meant, YOU!

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:18 am   View user's profile Send private message
Chuin

embarassing dog moment.  Reply with quote  

So there I was...we were training at the guest house and I had a bomb dog named Ronnie. I had taken him in after giving him a break but he decided that wasn't good enough. He's sniffing through the bldg, gets to a room and as he's sniffing he puts his front paws up on the bed, sneezes, snrts and lets go with a case of the runs with a grunt that led me to think the bastard planned it all along. I swear the pile was bigger than he was and after he was done I swear I heard him go "whew." I coulda killed that dog. He had no couth whatsoever. Guy I was training with looks at me and goes, "a real handler woulda caught it in his hat." thus proving that handlers are indeed assholes with black hearts.

Post Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:37 am   
Sara Leigh

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Great story, Robb!

Post Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
edrie

STILL laughing...  Reply with quote  

was he a samoyed, by any chance? 'Mr. Green'

Post Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:03 am   View user's profile Send private message
Chuin

Breeds with attitude.  Reply with quote  

Nah this was a German Shepard, Sammys are runners yes (not to mention a pain in the ass to keep clean.) But I generally work with Sheps or Belgian malinios. Mals are basically similar to Sheps but hyper as all get out and smart. Sometimes to smart for their own good. My last Mal was sneaky, I put a ball we had been playing with on a shelf and left the room, came back about 5 mins later and there she was reaching for the ball as quietly as possible. I walked in and there she was front paws on the shelf streeetching out to get the ball. she freezes in place, looks back at me and gets this look like "who me? Just trying to help with the cleanup boss. " Other breeds that I've worked with that can be tricky. Schnausers are shifty little bastards, Grey hounds. Oh yeah, they are just downright rude. Everyone see's the noble racing dog coming around the track for the photo finish. They don't see the poor bastard who's gotta catch them at the end of the race, they wear these muzzles like a wire basket, they race at about 50 mph and when you go out to get them at the end of the race they come at you full bore, and they give a whole new scary meaning to the term crotch hound let me tell you. Collies are way to prim for their own good, they are like the puritans of the dog world, long noses, always looking out to make sure that you are not under the blanket and if you are that cold wet nose will find you at the worst possible time. Shocked
One moe thing bout Mals, they are very territorial, they stake claims to things and will go out of their way to prove their claims. Barrie was one such "king of the kennel" He would wait for new handlers to come to the kennel and when they weren't expecting he'd pull a runner marking the whole kennels as he went. He would run up to younger males that were just lying against the kennel wall and mark them too, made for alot of bath days too. After you caught him he'd either try to fight you (he was about 9 lbs by the way) or grab the hose and not let go. Barrie was 13 yrs old. He still had one of the hardest bites of any dog we had at Campbell and was an absolue terror. In his younger years drug dealers put a bounty on his head for all the busts he was responsible for. Good dog...

Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:59 am   
Jillybeans

Re: embarassing dog moment.  Reply with quote  

Chuin wrote:
So there I was...we were training at the guest house and I had a bomb dog named Ronnie. I had taken him in after giving him a break but he decided that wasn't good enough. He's sniffing through the bldg, gets to a room and as he's sniffing he puts his front paws up on the bed, sneezes, snrts and lets go with a case of the runs with a grunt that led me to think the bastard planned it all along. I swear the pile was bigger than he was and after he was done I swear I heard him go "whew." I coulda killed that dog. He had no couth whatsoever. Guy I was training with looks at me and goes, "a real handler woulda caught it in his hat." thus proving that handlers are indeed assholes with black hearts.

That is absolutely priceless. He planned it. Gotta watch what you feed that dog. Are you sure he didn't get into your sushi and wasabi before doing the sniff routine. I had a dog that used to like to get into my sushi, paint, Mike's Hard Lemonade, remotes, glasses, credit cards, Victoria Secret Underwear (I'm wondering if you guys will miss this one since I'm putting it here and they were pretty too. Figures it was a boy dog and he was mad at me for having him neutered. I knew he'd get even eventually), bras; the aftermath wasn't pretty. They know, believe me they know.

Wade Davis (I knew there was a reason I liked Wade Davis)

Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:07 am   View user's profile Send private message

Quote:
Nah this was a German Shepard, Sammys are runners yes (not to mention a pain in the ass to keep clean.) But I generally work with Sheps or Belgian malinios. Mals are basically similar to Sheps but hyper as all get out and smart. Sometimes to smart for their own good.

sammys aren't that difficult - just wait six months and all the dirt falls out!
ok, it takes a month and lots of ptfffffftttt-ing = but you do get extra fiber in your diet for the duration!

my other beastie is half groenandael - the black belgian - his mom was a modesto street-walker. his claim to fame is that he climbs trees. i used to be standing with there and oll of a sudden my arm was over my head - danged dog was six+ feet off the ground. he's scale anything with a bit of rough bark and a slight incline. jumps, too. anything and everything. the funniest thing is when he decides to jump into a "nice" person's arms - he walks up and springs straight up parallel to the ground - and instinctively, most people catch him. then, they stand there somewhat befuddled - like, uh, what am i supposed to DO with him?

he was a rescue at several months - someone tried to break in when i wasn't home, so he went through the window and chased them away - right over the fence and into the path of a van. broke his pelvis in three places and broke the left hind leg right under the ball joint. the vets at davis decided it would be easier on him to remove the ball joint. three weeks later, with the leg still immobiized, he jumped the fence again!

at the dog run, he "herds" the greyhounds = runs around the outside of them and cuts them back to center. he's a yapper herder as opposed to a nipper herder. his bark is so annoying that within a very short time every dog and every owner are standing in a clump in the middle of the run - and he is sitting proudly waiting for someone to make a move to "escape".

the funniest bark you ever heard belongs to the "toad" - when i take him to pier 39 in S.F., everyone starts looking for the baby seal on the deck... i just stand and smile sweetly - they never realize it is da toad - cuz when they turn around, he shuts up.

oh, about sammys being runners - if one gets away from you = the only way to catch him/her is to say excitedly "you can't CATCH me!" and run away - works every time - they come flying after you!

what i loved about "lust lizzard" was the thought process of the dog - and his "label" for "food guy". well, signing off to put all dogs and owner to bed. nite

Post Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:42 am   
edrie

snarrrrrrrrl!  Reply with quote  

some day, i'm gonna remember to log in BEFORE i post!

Post Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:45 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: