Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Merry Christmas

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Dave

Merry Christmas  Reply with quote  

The AG wrote:
Just wanted to wish you guys a merry Christmas.

Thanks, Chris. Same to you & yours!! And all the other nut jobs that hang out here. Very Happy

Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

Re: Merry Christmas  Reply with quote  

Dave wrote:
The AG wrote:
Just wanted to wish you guys a merry Christmas.

Thanks, Chris. Same to you & yours!! And all the other nut jobs that hang out here. Very Happy

From one nut to another Happy Christmas and all the other nuts as well.

ta,

Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Bret

Merry Hanahkwansmas!  Reply with quote  

...and a Hauoli Makahiki Hou!!!
Have a Safe and Happy one Y'all!!!
respek,

Whaley B.

Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Taco Bob

Had a quiet old-fashioned Christmas myself. Went over to see some family this morning and watched their spoiled-rotten kids tear into some presents. After getting a good sugar high going, the kids attacked a small mountain of carefully wrapped gifts while us grown-ups opened some future yard sale bargains and bitched about and/or defended the government.

Since it was raining good, the kids had to ride their new bikes and play yard-darts indoors while the rest of us hid in the kitchen making breakfast.

We got to experience a seldom-mentioned holiday phenomenon/tradition later on the way back to the house from the Emergency Care Center. We were all kind of gawking at the stores all being closed as we drove around, and of course someone had to ask if we needed anything while we were out.Thus started a fun game for all ages called, “Find Something Open”. It wasn’t determined at the time just what we needed, so this helped. After a few exciting close calls, little Timmy surprised everyone by spotting a small grocery store with lights on inside. Surprised, because there weren’t any tell-tale cars parked outside, and because Timmy’s head was heavily bandaged - the result of an earlier incident involving a bicycle and a dart.

So we pulled in the parking lot right behind another car, and two more followed us in. By the time we got parked and determined the store really was closed by pulling on the door several times just to make damn sure, there were another dozen cars circling in for the kill. After another try or two on the door by some other folks and some not-so-merry oaths sworn, it was back to the car and the game.

An hour later we settled for a gas station food mart. We loaded up on things we already had back home and didn’t really need like overpriced candy, ice cream, beer, and cigarettes, then took our change in scratch lottos. Having scored, the eight of us got back in the Pinto and headed to the house for TV football and the traditional undercooked turkey with all the trimmings.

There’s just nothing like an old-fashioned Christmas.

Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lib

TSA Christmas Memories  Reply with quote  

A certain pasta dish (that is known to attract zombies) is our traditional Christmas Eve dinner. So, I'm gathered around the table with family and for some strange reason, I'm thinking "brains".
Plus, there's a commerical on TV that says "Up on the rooftop, click, click, click...so what do I think of every time it comes on? Yep, Chapter 19. All I'm saying is...Christmas will never be the same.

Post Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

Happy Christmas all.

All this talk of store hopping and food prompts me to share.

My grandsons had been with us for a week, the little one and his 11 yr old cousin nearly put each other in the emergency room, and my house looks like the definition of chaos.

Friday 10:00AM, I got to brave LAX to return the boys to their parents in time to spend christmas with their dad's side of the family.

I ran into the terminal, got our boarding passes from the kiosk and came out the door which happened to be at the end of a fairly short baggage check-in line. I made sure everything went into carry-ons so we could save time. So we headed for the security check-in line. We walked and walked, past the police car, past the news van, finally taking our place in line near the middle of the next terminal.

It was only 10:30 and the flight's at noon so no problem. Except the sun's beating down, the line is slow and the boys were getting hungry again. Some flunky came by with a bull horn repeatedly announcing "You must have a boarding pass to be in this line! Several very unhappy people tried to guarantee their place in line and headed back to terminal one. Finally we reached the terminal door, redistributed the bags so we each have two and because the boys had one-way tickets our boarding passes had the dreadeded sssss designating us for random search. Pretty silly making a 7 yr old and a 10 yr old go through a pat down. Maybe those duel-master action figures are a potential securty risk.

When we reached the door of the plane we were told the overhead bins were full and they took our luggage to be checked.

Any way, the plane was late and my son-in-law's bummed because he'd been driving around the Oakland Airport for an hour. There's only 20 minutes to make my return flight. I got searched again. The flight was way behind schedule again but I had an empty seat next to me.

6:00 My Aunt hosts Christmas lunch at my cousin's house every year. He smokes the turkey and I make the enchiladas. I'll have to do it tonight so the flavors can marry. I pick up the groceries and then take a break to go see "Life Aquatiic". We bought the tickets ahead but still had to stand in another frickin' line. (The movie's great by the way.)

11:30pm: Home to start cooking and the kitchen gods greedily exact their toll. A bowl sitting in the center of the stove somehow dumps two pounds of hot ground beef all over the floor. Usually its a 2nd degree burn or deep cut - small prices to pay for being a great cook. The neighborhood cats got a holiday treat. After the clean-up I was just done so i decided on an early start in the morning.

Saturday, 7:30AM: My market is always open on Christmas day from 7 - 1. So off to the store I go. But not this year. With surprisingly little driving I found a market open that had decent meat. I rushed back, assembled the enchiladas, delivered some gifts and made the 30 mile drive to lunch by 1. Only to be told I was late even though I brought most of the meal and several of the other guests weren't even there yet.

A dozen enchiladas disappeared and there was tons of smoked turkey left. Some polite family conversation, some mildly bawdy jokes and we were free. We used the new car pool lane most of the way. Coupled with my husband's POLR route (pronounced Polar - for Path Of Least Resistance) driving style, we were home in record time.

So we were watching the tape of the Lakers game and my husband says, "I wish I could have enchiladas for dinner." Back to the kitchen for me. I know, I know, but I love the guy.

I forget now why my husband stepped out the back door at 11:00 but he insisted I come join him and I received my reward for all the craziness of the past two days.

The full moon surrounded by a huge glowing halo with one star just inside the right side of the circle.

(yes, we're due for rain but it was still most beautiful)

Post Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
L.P. Bowman

Merry Christmas  Reply with quote  

Mr. Moore:

Merry Christmas......just had to tell you the guy that turned me on to biff told me today he had present for me as soon as he finished reading it....I told him if it was SA don't bother I already had it but I was glad he was reading it........I also told him to come find this crazy board.....don't know if he will check it out or not.....

PS....I told him the wife bought SA for me......to which he responded....."damn, she really does love you".....

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Lauren

Merry belated Christmas (or insert holiday of your choice here), everyone. Once again, I hosted, and once again, like with Thanksgiving, no one got food poisoning, so I declare it a success.

Super-bonus - I knew my parents and grandmother were going off to another branch of the family's for dessert, but I thought the in-laws were staying. Nope, turned out they had to go elsewhere for dessert as well. So, left untouched in my fridge were a whole chocolate mousse cake (from my sister-in-law) AND an icebox cake (from my grandmother).

Woo-hoo!

Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:52 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Ginjg

Lauren wrote:
So, left untouched in my fridge were a whole chocolate mousse cake (from my sister-in-law) AND an icebox cake (from my grandmother). Woo-hoo!

mmmmh. Sugar Coma for New Years!

Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chuin

The week after...  Reply with quote  

Hope it was a good day for all, enjoy the New Year and hoist one for me!

Robb

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:09 pm   
edrie

sigh! only only 31 1/2 hrs left of 2004  Reply with quote  

and i can't say i'll be sad to see it go away!

taking most of the year off to recup a busted back gave me time to catch my breath - in all, it wasn't such a bad thingl. financially, yes, mentally, no. got to catch up on all my reading - finished all the ag's work and am starting for seconds - read all of discworld and the kids stuff by terry pratchett. am ready to start into stanislaw lem - again!

btw, chris, ever thought of doing kids stories? you are perfectly warped for it!

anyway, christmas eve, my big guy bopped his eye, it swelled shut - so i spend until 4:15 am rebedding his stall - my luck, i almost ended up with two horses with only one good eye between them! my little guy is totally blind - loves to be ridden - i'm his "seeing eye person". anyway, got the stall fixed for an extended stay inside while the eye got tlc - it's almost healed, thank heavens!

christmas day went to my friends house for christmas dinner - precooked smoked turkey was delicious - they are also merchants on the go - spent the last three weeks at travis air force base. they sell fine jewelry - sales down about 25% for the year like the rest of us.

julia also brought out the "hannaukah ham" - which i got to take home - since they are on the way to fla for several weeks! nothing like a great christmas dinner hosted by my jewish friends! my sister went to her second dinner of the day for an islamic celebration.

maybe we're on to something here? universal celebrations - i like it. (and the ham is REALLY delicious!).

anyway, its raining buckets in monterey, so today, my boys will have to do without me - am not going to barn - almost visited manager's horse IN his paddock the other day - slid through the mud right up to the outside paddock. oops.

my adopted kids are stripping the extra cooked turkey and making turkey salad - and we're all playing video games or posting online...

that's after we finished off SA and alex is just starting lust lizzard. meself? thinking of reviewing bloodsucking fiends...

so, to all - have a happy new year and a safe one and may your 2005 be better than 2004!

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: