Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Here

Books

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ferrit Leggings

Books  Reply with quote  

Books

There are some days that I sit back and wonder when it is time to clear out my collections and have that garage sale that I need to have. Letís face it, garage sales to me are nothing more than the transfer of junk from one home to another but do I want to take apart my collection and take the step to subconsciously divulging to my psyche that it is junk and that I have too much.

My collection of childrenís books is alphabetised by author. The childrenís books range from the copy of Winnie the Pooh that my mother read to me when I was a child, which she readily declares that she hated, to a forthcoming copy of a Pipkin of Pepper the sequel to Pumpkin Soup by Helen Cooper to Charlotte Zolotowís The Seashore Book back to the Aís with Laurence Anholtís Seriously Silly Stories the complete collection in individual books to the collected series in one book.

I used to keep my collection of books listed on a spreadsheet. That was a few years ago when I only had enough childrenís books to fit on two long shelves. The childrenís book collection has grown to four shelves not counting the ones that are being used or loaned out.

My problem is that I have favourites. It started with Kurt Vonnegut and Welcome to the Monkey House. After I read that book I had this desire to read all of his books. Thankfully I never enjoyed Isaac Asimovís books too much otherwise my collection would be mostly written by him. Kurt Vonnegut led me in many different directions with my reading. I discovered Lee Stringer and Mark Twain. Mark Twain is someone that I was required to read in both college and high school but for some reason I now have the complete works of Twain in a collected works, at least three copies of Huckleberry Fin and a book of critical response to Huckleberry Fin that cost me over seventy dollars. I justified buying it because I needed it for a university course on literature that I was taking. For most people this would be a book that collects dust but I often go back to it and enjoy it third and fourth times.

That is not my most prized book. My most valued books are gifts from my grandfather of Kim, Pinocchio and Through the Looking Glass. These are the books that gather the most dust but that is because I donít dare read them as I am worried about them getting damaged so I have to buy another copy so I can read them. This same thing has happened with other books but because I have loaned them out and they havenít returned. It is not just buying them reading them and then tossing them aside. Books are places in time.

My first copy of a Christopher Moore book was The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove. I read a review in the newspaper of it and thought it looked interesting so I went off to Barnes and Nobel to get it.

I was just coming off of a horror novel craze that lasted about two years. It mostly consisted of Stephen King, Stephen King, Stephen King, Stephen King, and Dean Koontz. I needed some light reading. I did not find light reading in Christopher Moore. I found this strange twist on satire that was moulded with horror and comedy. It was like the intelligence of Vonnegut with a twist of King and the one liners of Douglas Adams. I was hooked and went out just as I did with Vonnegut and bought all of his books that I could find. This was difficult because at Barnes and Noble that looked at me when I asked for The Lust Lizard book like I was some sort of a pervert. I ended up buying his books on Amazon. Amazon is a nice place to buy books with titles like that because you are not subject to the same looks that your mother gave you when she caught you discovering your nether regions as a teenager. The people at the store told me that they could order it for me and then I could pick it up but that seemed dumb since it is about an hours drive to the store and why would I order something to go and have to pick it up?

When I ordered the book on Amazon my recommendations list went nuts. I was given suggestions for new books of authors that I hadnít heard of. Matt Ruff, Tom Robbins, Tom Holt, Nick Hornby and so on. It was this wonderful explosion of weirdness that I never could have been exposed to in a small town.

I have a ďto read stackĒ of books that I higher than my nightstand. There are some books that I know that I might not read in there but they are there just in case. I have books sitting beside the toilet for a quick read. There are books on my coffee table, dining room table, kitchen table and lying in the backseat of my vehicle.

My book shelves are broken down into genre and in alphabetical order, as much as I can get them, like my childrenís book collection. I am running out of room but I donít think I can part with them. Each book means something to me.

I see people on television programs like Clean Sweep or other programmes that easily part with books and the people on the show say, ĎIt is ok to have a few books but once you read them you donít need to keep them.í That is a load of bullocks to me. I like to pick up The Lust Lizard and think of the look on the face of the person and Barnes and Noble or run my fingers along the spine of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and think of the number 42. Books can be loaned out and given away to friends but to sell them in a box at a dollar a book of twenty for the lot of them seems wrong to me.

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ginjg

I have a huge well loved collection as well. But in no particular order. They are all mixed in together, on bookshelves, closet shelves, headboard, floor, boxes in the garage.
But I am using Readerware to slowly catalogue them.I just scan the barcode with the free scanner they give me when I bought the program and it will get all the info from numerous databases. Or I can directly enter information from pre-barcode books.

Linky: Readerware You can try it free.

And for those books that I really will never read again, and those I loan and know will be loaned forward, I've just joined Book Crossing.

As for those who think once you've read a book you no longer need it, I'd say they never really read the book, just the words.

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: