Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Goddam Robots!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
beetleneck

Re: Goddam Robots!  Reply with quote  

[quote="sugarraydodge"]Ok, so I started that Robot Girlfriend novel I said I was gonna in the the whole robot-girlfriend thread. I am already 10,000 words in and I am really digging it. The problem is is that the group of people I send my passages out to for feedback are all saying that it is a really creepy premise and that they are really freaked out that I would even write about such an unnatural thing.

I can't help but wonder are you still writing this piece? And why did you send it to a focus group (whatever it was)?

If you love it ... you got it. I just re-read your email and believe if you LIKE it you are half way there, and just need and editor. That is how I judge my work. A few other people d o n o t represent the masses.

Best of LUCK

Post Sun May 25, 2008 1:56 am   View user's profile Send private message
sugarraydodge

Wow, I didn't know people still cared about this so much. Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Sorry I haven't been around. Things got all crazy-go-nuts and I have been in three different states this month working six days a week. But the Robot Girlfriend story is finished. i couldn't stretch it out to make a whole novel, but it is a pretty killer short story Smile

Post Mon May 26, 2008 10:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
beetleneck

sugarraydodge wrote:
Wow, I didn't know people still cared about this so much. Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Sorry I haven't been around. Things got all crazy-go-nuts and I have been in three different states this month working six days a week. But the Robot Girlfriend story is finished. i couldn't stretch it out to make a whole novel, but it is a pretty killer short story Smile

Hope you find a magazine to publish it. THat would validate all your attempts to be honest to your audience. Good luck, sorry to hear work had got you on the go. Good news is your making money Very Happy Laughing

Post Tue May 27, 2008 3:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message
beetleneck

sugarraydodge wrote:

Poor boy working so hard ( i hope you are man i didn't check Smile ), I am having trouble finding work, so I envy you.

Glad too hear the piece is done, hope you find a magazine to publish it, that would be a great validation of efforts to be true to your story.

Best of luck and get some sleep.

Post Tue May 27, 2008 3:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message
J.B.Chamberlin

Re: Goddam Robots!  Reply with quote  

sugarraydodge wrote:
Ok, so I started that Robot Girlfriend novel I said I was gonna in the the whole robot-girlfriend thread. I am already 10,000 words in and I am really digging it. The problem is is that the group of people I send my passages out to for feedback are all saying that it is a really creepy premise and that they are really freaked out that I would even write about such an unnatural thing.

Number 1: I am already 10,000 words in, and when i cross that thresh-hold I usually see the story through to the end. Number 2: I really, really, really, really like this story. I like the main character and i like the robot girlfriend. I want my audience to want them to end up together, but all I am getting is "I sure hope Stan finds a real girl and ditches the robit." WHAT?! You're supposed to like the GODDAM ROBOT!

I know people who say that you only have to write for yourself, but others say that you have to write for your audience (limited as it may be.) For my last two novels, I have written for me and I have gotten generally positive feedback. But if I write for myself for this one, i risk losing the small audience I have built just because they can't get past the subject matter and enjoy the story. And if I write exactly what they want to read, the story will suck. It's quite the pickle.

I'm going to keep writing this thing, but I just needed to vent. Thanks Smile

If Palahniuk can write a novel told from the perspective of 3 men in a line of 600 who are going to screw the same girl, then I can't seriously see anything wrong with you telling a tale of a guy porking his robot.

--JBC

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: