Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Disclaimers? David Bowie? Chuck Norris? The Hoff?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
tirusthevirus

Disclaimers? David Bowie? Chuck Norris? The Hoff?  Reply with quote  

sorry to flood the messy boards with my persistent questions, but this one's kinda important. You know those disclaimers in books that say "This book is a work of fiction. No characters are based on real people, whether living or dead. Any resemblance to a real person is pure coincidence. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar." Well, what if there is a character in your book that is based on a real person? And I'm not talking about a non-fiction book. I'm wondering if you can have a disclaimer for that. Like "All characters in this book are the productive of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to a real person, whether living, dead, or someone in between, is purely coincidental. Except for David Bowie. He's real. However, he is used in a fictional context and not intended to resemble the real David Bowie entirely." Something like that?
Anyway, I have like 2 chapters with David Bowie and an appendix with David Hasselhoff and this book is going to need some serious editing if I have to do without them.
Also, what if I make references to celebrities (like in Lamb, the reference to James Earl Jones)? Can I make Chuck Norris jokes in my book or are those considered libelous? Do I need a disclaimer for those? "All Chuck Norris jokes are used in a fictional context. Chuck does not really use Sharon Stone as a chew toy for his dog."

- Bryce

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
knikkki

I had Oprah in my book, as long as you say the people are used Fictitiously you are fine. (Holy shit it took me a long time to spell Fictitiously)

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tirusthevirus

cool. Oprah. hahaha. thanks. good to know.

- Bryce

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Watching The Wheels

This in no way, shape, or form will help you, but I will, on principle, purchase a book with a disclaimer like, "The characters in this novel are completely fictitious and any similarities to any person living or dead is just a coincidence. Except for my ex-girlfriend. Who is a dirty, thieving whore."

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
tirusthevirus

lol. naturally. I'd buy that book too.

- Bryce

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
yangnome

Watching The Wheels wrote:
"The characters in this novel are completely fictitious and any similarities to any person living or dead is just a coincidence. Except for my ex-girlfriend. Who is a dirty, thieving whore."

I wonder if that is too long to be a book title...

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: