Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Who's Who

STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN the greatest rock song of all time?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ferrit Leggings

STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN the greatest rock song of all time?  Reply with quote  

STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN the greatest rock song of all time?
This 1971 song got 70 per cent of the votes cast in a poll by British radio station PLANET ROCK - one of three songs the legendary band scored in the top ten.

The Top Ten Greatest Rock Songs of all time are:
1. LED ZEPPELIN - STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN
2. LYNYRD SKYNYRD - FREE BIRD
3. QUEEN - BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
4. DEEP PURPLE - SMOKE ON THE WATER
5. BLACK SABBATH - PARANOID
6. LED ZEPPELIN - WHOLE LOTTA LOVE
7. THE EAGLES - HOTEL CALIFORNIA
8. LED ZEPPELIN - ROCK AND ROLL
9. AC/DC - HIGHWAY TO HELL
10. THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE - ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER

Linky...
http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/stairway%20to%20heaven%20voted%20top%20rock%20song

Hmm, I remember my first hearing of Stairway to Heaven. I was about seven or eight and standing at the top of my parent’s stairway cranking my local radio station that was playing all of the songs on this list. I at the time, was John Bonham sitting behind a great drum kit that surrounded me and no matter where I turned, I could bash something. My father would walk by the bottom of the stairs wondering when I would either pass out or simply just fall down the steep stairway. Each time he went bye he would shake his head and I think, wonder.

This was my favourite song for a long time and then something happened. I was in elementary school and this was also everyone else’s favourite song. My new band was to be AC/DC. I had all of their albums, yes albums, and listened to them repeatedly. It was great for a time and then my mother would join in on the chorus to I’ve Got Big Balls when the song came out on the radio. It was rather embarrassing because parents are supposed to embarrass their children but not to the point of proclaiming that they have balls, well mothers anyway. So AC/DC was out and Hendrix was in.

On Christmas I would listen to his version of The Little Drummer Boy. It was great and it pissed my parents off. They would be sitting in another room listening to PBS radio or the many masses being shown on television and I would have Jimi taking reverb to a whole new level. My father shook his head as he walked by still wondering and mom came into the room ruining Hendrix. She told me that she loved Jimi’s version of the Star Spangled Banner and it was like he was trying to make the sounds of the bombs bursting in air.

I have always like Queen, Black Sabbath was something that I listened to rarely because that was one of my brother’s favourites, The Eagles were alright but now I can hear them on country radio, and Deep Purples Smoke on the Water was one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar. It was actually easy to learn, A, B, A. If you need help there is a Kid’s in the Hall episode that can teach you.

What really turned me away from Stairway to Heaven was when I voted from my senor prom song. I wanted something snappy and relevant to today’s music, that was in *(. If you want to know the year I graduated these *(are the numbers I graduated on your keyboard.

The ballots went around and their was Stairway to Heaven at the top of the list among some Madonna song and Duran Duran but lucky for me there was a spot at the bottom for other. I made the pledge to myself that if my choice did not make it then I would not go. My choice was Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon. I imagined my whole class going, “Aoooooo, nip,” in unison. It would be a great bonding experience that never happened. Stairway to Heaven was picked and I was left to catch a buzz on my own.

Here is my list of Top Rock songs at the moment…With no Stairway to Heaven.
1. Werewolves of London Warren Zevon
2. Voodoo Child Jimi Hendrix
3. The Queen is Dead The Smiths
4. The Fly U2
5. Instant Karma John Lennon
6. Pretty Vacant The Sex Pistols
7. Creep Radiohead /tie/ National Anthem Radiohead
8. Fat Bottomed Girls Queen
9. Don’t Drink the Water Dave Matthews Band
10. What’s So Funny About Elvis Costello

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:31 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dave S.

FYI  Reply with quote  

Smoke on the water intro is actually: Gm Bb C Gm Bb C# C Gm Bb C Bb Gm

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:30 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

Sorry I was trying to make a Kids in the Hall reference and I don't read music. I believe the episode was when Satan was playing the guitar.

Thanks for the info.

ta,

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ted J

Stairway has turned out to be the expected #1 on just about every list. It's kinda like the brainwashing technique where you repeat something enough times and people just start to accept it without question (sorta like WMDs in Iraq).

My senior year in high school I tried to lead a campaign to have Mott the Hoople's "All the Young Dudes" as the class song. As you can imagine, this was an unsuccessful campaign.

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:49 am   View user's profile Send private message
Robb

I can honestly say I can't stand Led Zepplin, I know they are considered gods among rock stars but I just can't get into them. Of course I am no good as a judge of whats popular, my favorite music tends to be so obscure that they don't even make the cool peoples lists of whats good. As in, "I like (insert indie band of the week here) because they arn't too big and haven't sold out." Well my favorite bands couldn't sell out if they tried. Kansas would be the most popular of the bunch and I doubt many could list 10 of their songs. Pop music for the most part just doesn't get my attention that often.

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
i8tokyo

Mmmm...Child of Innocence. Now that's a song. Saw Kansas in the Uptown Theater in Kansas City in 1974, pretty much been hooked since. Saw Harry Chapin there the following year, the best concert I ever sat through. I don't think Duran, Duran would have had the same effect on me.

-"Some people are like slinkies--they are good for nothing, but can still bring a smile to your face by throwing them down a flight of stairs."

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Seanfeiler1

R/S link  Reply with quote  

Rolling Stone has Stairway at #31.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6596661/500songs?rnd=1104731348175&has-player=false

I don't know if it deserves to be that low on any list just due to the sheer magnitude of the song. Having been in several bands through my college years, it gets to a point where you really can't listen to that intro without wanting to strangle whatever struggling newbie guitarist chose to try and impress you by pulling off his tribute to Page. What's interesting about songs in the realm of Stairway to Heaven is that you should never, ever hear them covered. Chance you will hear a band in some bar blaring out Rock-n-Roll? 95%. Black Dog? At least a fifty-fifty shot. But Stairway to Heaven and Hey Jude? There is no chance. None. And now that I think about it, that's probably what made Bill Murray's lounge singer act on SNL so damn funny, with him covering both of those very, very poorly.

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
conspiracies unlimited

Robb wrote:
I can honestly say I can't stand Led Zepplin, I know they are considered gods among rock stars but I just can't get into them.

I totally agree... They are ok, they were GREAT way back when; now they are simply GOOD... but there is better stuff out there

Ted J wrote:
Stairway has turned out to be the expected #1 on just about every list. It's kinda like the brainwashing technique where you repeat something enough times and people just start to accept it without question (sorta like WMDs in Iraq).

Finally!!! I've been saying this for years!!!

I HIGHLY recommend Pat Boones rendition of Stairway to Heaven... Pat Boone, "in a Metal Mood"... buy the album -- Its good... damn good...
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ted J

Re: R/S link  Reply with quote  

The cheese factor of that Pat Boone album is pretty good, but I can only listen to so much before I get bored.

Seanfeiler1 wrote:
What's interesting about songs in the realm of Stairway to Heaven is that you should never, ever hear them covered. Chance you will hear a band in some bar blaring out Rock-n-Roll? 95%. Black Dog? At least a fifty-fifty shot. But Stairway to Heaven and Hey Jude? There is no chance. None. And now that I think about it, that's probably what made Bill Murray's lounge singer act on SNL so damn funny, with him covering both of those very, very poorly.

You're right on Sean. You almost never hear that played live by anyone. However, guitarist Stanley Jordan has a really nice version of Stairway on one of his albums. The first time I heard it, i was struck not only because it was a good rendition, but also because it was so rare to hear someone else cover it.

Post Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

I used to be a R&R DJ. You can't even imagine the number of people who would call and request Stairway to Heaven. To which I would reply, "No." (The word fucktard had not yet been invented, so I could not say, "No, you fucktard." Those were simpler times.)

I did play other Led Zepplin songs, however. The guys who worked at the pizza place across the street from the station loved Zepplin, and they'd send you a free pizza if you played them some Zepplin songs. I was poor. And hungry.

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
conspiracies unlimited

chris wrote:
The guys who worked at the pizza place across the street from the station loved Zepplin, and they'd send you a free pizza if you played them some Zepplin songs. I was poor. And hungry.

If the Pope had gotten off his ass on the Pizza Host thing, you probably would not have had to sell your soul that way... Zepplin for Pizza -- what is this world coming to when a man has to stoop to that level...
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Robb

Well today I found some new tunes that I can truly enjoy, and here I had almost given up on new groups. Los Lonely Boys, good texas inspired blues with a serious nod to SRV. I haven't been this impressed in a while. Also go Sarah Mcglachlin (or however the hell you spell her name...) Afterglow live. I had to keep checking her bck to see if she had wings. Like an Angel I swear. I was seriously impressed. Check it out...

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jewbacca

I saw Los Lonely Boys at the Bridge Benefit in October, and I have to say I was impressed.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: