Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

The Haunting of Hill House

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jillybeans

The Haunting of Hill House  Reply with quote  

Which movie did you like best? The one with Clare Bloom and Julie Harris or the remake? I remember seeing that movie too when I was a kid in Covina Theatre, which was old and spooky anyway that really added to flavor of the movie for a ten year old kid and was sorely disappointed with the remake. The first movie was black and white and considerably moodier than the second one. I was scared of something that you couldn't see which is the best part of horror films. Yes. "The Haunting of Hill House" scared the bejeezus out of me too.

Wade Davis (I knew there was a reason I liked Wade Davis)

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:33 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

The first one was definitely better. The second one had some great production design, but I'm finding that when that is the best thing you can say about a movie, that it's usually not a very good movie.

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jillybeans

chris wrote:
The first one was definitely better. The second one had some great production design, but I'm finding that when that is the best thing you can say about a movie, that it's usually not a very good movie.

The production and too much psychobabble is what turned me off on the remake. I wanted to be scared of something I couldn't see and didn't know what it was. There was an old black and white from the forties with Ray Milland entitled "The Unseen" that was similar and equally as creepy. Sorry I'm a black and white, creepy and film noir movie film lover, Nosferatu and Q being amongst favorites. The only place I seem to be able to see these movies are on Turner Classic Movies

Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:19 am   View user's profile Send private message
Sara Leigh

Actually that was The Uninvited with Ray Milland, a great noir ghost story. I saw that on TV when I was in high school, I think.

I'm a big fan of the original The Haunting too. It far surpassed the remake, creating a more atmospheric scariness than all the high-tech effects of the other. I recently bought the DVD but I haven't popped it in for a viewing yet.

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Juliann

Any funny hauting movies/books?  Reply with quote  

Finally, a non-political topic to jump in on...

We just bought our first house. It's 102 years old - we bought it from the family who has lived there since 1906. Seems their great-grandfather was the town doctor and used the two upstairs bedrooms (my son's room and playroom) as offices "back in the day."

So while I love the house, I'm completely creeped out. It probably had something to do with reading a certain Christmas story around the time we closed, but I had a VERY vivid zombie dream the week before we moved in.

I've been here a month, and still freak at every weird noise. And now "White Noise" and "Darkness" have their damn trailers running every 15 minutes when I watch tv to relax at night. Even though I hear they're lousy movies, suspension of disbelief comes easy for me, and every haunting movie I've seen is creepy.

So, are there any good, friendly ghost movies/books folks could recommend (no "Casper," thanks)? If not, any good house blessings come to mind? (I'm sage-smudging this weekend - but that just makes me think back to "Poltergeist" with the woman pronouncing "this house is clean" right before the closet turns into a giant orafice).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Jules

Post Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jillybeans

Re: Any funny hauting movies/books?  Reply with quote  

Juliann wrote:
So, are there any good, friendly ghost movies/books folks could recommend (no "Casper," thanks)? If not, any good house blessings come to mind? (I'm sage-smudging this weekend - but that just makes me think back to "Poltergeist" with the woman pronouncing "this house is clean" right before the closet turns into a giant orafice).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Jules

Try salt around the perimeter of the house. If that doesn't work, try telling them to get the hell out of your house. My dad and mom scared the daylights out of my nephew when he slept in their room after both of them had been dead for a while. Okay I know you're ready to put me in a room but I swear to god it happened. I keep reminding them when they enter my dreams that they are dead and if they are going to continue to bug me from the other side to please give me the winning numbers of lottery. That's only fair isn't it?

Post Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:48 am   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

I believe you. My Grandmother has been moving amongst the various family members' homes, as she did in the last years of her life. She's also added those family that have moved to their own homes since she died to her itenerary.

She likes to hide things and they turn up in the most unusual places. Once my cousin's wallet went missing and turned up a day later in the middle of my aunt's kitchen floor. But my cousin hadn't been there in two weeks.

Now, whenever one of us is really crazed because we can't find something that was just right there, we call on Grandma to please bring it back and it will turn up very quickly but definitely in a place that a) you never, never would have put it or b) someplace you already looked several times.

Post Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jillybeans

Ginjg wrote:
I believe you. My Grandmother has been moving amongst the various family members' homes, as she did in the last years of her life. She's also added those family that have moved to their own homes since she died to her itenerary.

She likes to hide things and they turn up in the most unusual places. Once my cousin's wallet went missing and turned up a day later in the middle of my aunt's kitchen floor. But my cousin hadn't been there in two weeks.

Now, whenever one of us is really crazed because we can't find something that was just right there, we call on Grandma to please bring it back and it will turn up very quickly but definitely in a place that a) you never, never would have put it or b) someplace you already looked several times.

See I'm not hallucinating. This is just living proof (or is that dead proof) that the dead have a sense of humor.

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:28 am   View user's profile Send private message
Juliann

Quote:
Try salt around the perimeter of the house

That's what my Wiccan friend suggested, too...and the sage. She's going to come over next weekend, so...

"Stir of Echoes" was on earlier today...not helping the creep-out factor.

Quote:
Okay I know you're ready to put me in a room but I swear to god it happened.

I generally consider myself a rational person. But I lived in N'awlins for a while and there was some unsubtle, unexplainable stuff that happened with dead relatives down there that I no longer question - thus any good gris-gris is appreciated.

Quote:
I keep reminding them when they enter my dreams that they are dead and if they are going to continue to bug me from the other side to please give me the winning numbers of lottery. That's only fair isn't it?

I think that's completely fair. Also, if they can move stuff around - why can't they make the bed? (See, now I'm just asking for it, eh?)

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jillybeans

Juliann wrote:
Quote:
Try salt around the perimeter of the house

That's what my Wiccan friend suggested, too...and the sage. She's going to come over next weekend, so...

"Stir of Echoes" was on earlier today...not helping the creep-out factor.

Quote:
Okay I know you're ready to put me in a room but I swear to god it happened.

I generally consider myself a rational person. But I lived in N'awlins for a while and there was some unsubtle, unexplainable stuff that happened with dead relatives down there that I no longer question - thus any good gris-gris is appreciated.

Quote:
I keep reminding them when they enter my dreams that they are dead and if they are going to continue to bug me from the other side to please give me the winning numbers of lottery. That's only fair isn't it?

I think that's completely fair. Also, if they can move stuff around - why can't they make the bed? (See, now I'm just asking for it, eh?)

AG, are you listening to any of this? Hint. Hint. Jules, Loved "Stir of Echos" and I usually don't like Kevin Bacon. But have you opted for any voudounsis to help you out with the dead? I was in the South (aaaaggghhhh. another traumatic experience I would like to forget) this summer. It is spookey but then if we had the dead then we wouldn't need guys to move stuff or kill bugs. I opt for keeping the guys and the dead out because they never listen to us. Besides it's fun to watch guys do stuff.

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:58 am   View user's profile Send private message
Timmy

Creepy  Reply with quote  

Very nice creepy thread here folks. Hey Jilly, where were ya in the "South" this summer? I realize it can be a traumatic experience...try living here....but if ya want creepy, come see me in Alabama, I got a 50 room hotel that did double duty as a nursing home before it was closed down.....the cops won't even go in there at this point....told me it was "Too damn scary" when I tell people I bought it most of them say, "You know that there place is hainted, don'cha?" I figure that any ghosts are going to like me a lot as I'm renovating the place. I mean, I'd much rather haunt a nice clean place that someone acutally loves than some neglected dump right?

Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jillybeans

Re: Creepy  Reply with quote  

Timmy wrote:
Very nice creepy thread here folks. Hey Jilly, where were ya in the "South" this summer? I realize it can be a traumatic experience...try living here....but if ya want creepy, come see me in Alabama,

Timmay!!! Haven't heard from you in a while. You just had to go and remind me that I have the directional navigation of a gnat and can get lost in some of the most bizarre places, didn't you? JFWY. I went to Georgia to investigate SCAD, the art school and didn't realize even though it was ON THEIR WEBSITE that the hotels down there are franchised and some don't have a shuttle. Taxies would have been $100 round trip for a 20 mile trip. I met some really interesting people in Georgia. I decided I don't want to go there again what with the strange people and armadillo stew (again JFWY). I was in a hotel and my cat was wigging out. I look outside at what seems to be a little bitty volkswagon that is moving on its own. I call up the front desk and ask what it is. Do you know what it's like having people just start laughing uncontrollably from a very innocent question? "Oh" they tell me "Thems some good eatins. Thems armadillos. We pull them off the road and use them for stew." The programs they have there for the needy entail someone hitting a deer, the animal control coming out, taking it to a dressing place (whatever that is) and taking it for food to the needy family. I knew I needed a passport to get down there. I forgot to add this one: I worked at a Dennys. We had a guy there that was a dishwasher. All I wanted to do was get out of there. He wanted me to go on a date with him. He lived in a trailer that I think was the backdrop for Steve in "Lust Lizard". Our first date? Didn't happen because I didn't want to go to church with him. God knows what would have happened had I. Big hair, bright lipstick, beaten into docility. Adds up to STEPFORD WIFE and he was NOT HOT. He was really ugly. Most of the waitstaff kept saying you never got out of that place. I did. I'M NOT GOING BACK. I don't do big hair very well. And by the way, I'm not the only person that got trapped down there and had to work at ennys. It happened to another two women that STAYED trapped down there. I'm not sure if they ever got out.

So they have these big thunderstorms. With the thunderstorms come the frogs. Frogs are noisy. Frogs are squishy especially when you go out the door and you step on one in your bare feet. Storms are scary especially when lightening hits and you don't want to be its target and have to go outside to get something to eat. I'm from California I don't know about these things. The only good thing about it was that smokes were less than $3 a pack and the gas was $1.70 a gallon not that I could have used it because I didn't have a car to get around. Did I say my decision making processes were a little faulty then? Yes, Chris is right when he says that people in the East are especially giddy when there are mudslides in California. They just don't do geological studies when they build there. Californians tend to be a little smug as do New Englanders. Travel and you will find that even though we are the United States, it's like coming to another country, with different cultures and mores. Travelling is the best education.

The people were pretty cool even if they don't like Yankees. I wasn't considered one since I'm from California. They liked me for some reason. Most people do until they get to know me and find out I'm a little odd and still like me anyway. I wonder what is wrong with them. I keep trying to change my reputation but for some reason it doesn't work.

And in the midst of this story, I bet you're wondering why you even asked. Oh I remember the creeps stories. My daughter and I were talking last night. She was telling me about one time in the house when she heard someone running down the hallway and no one was there. I knew who it was: My grandparents. Now it freaks her out but not me. I just thought it was normal, but then again I'm me. And then another time, this is funny so pay attention: I brought home some of my ceramic pieces that after they fire the glaze it takes a couple of weeks to cool. In the meantime you hear "tink, tink, tink". She starts freaking out and runs down the hall to me to tell me grandmas there. Grandma's been dead about 7 years. Being the analytical mind that I have and I'm nosy, I go out and hear the same "tink, tink, tink" coming from the shelf above the TV. I look at her, trying not to laugh but am not successful. "Uh. Gwyn." I say. "That's not grandma. That's the glaze cooling on the ceramic pieces." We still share that story.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:29 am   View user's profile Send private message
Nicknameless

Re: Any funny hauting movies/books?  Reply with quote  

Juliann wrote:

Yeah, for some reason there seems to be very little in the way of non-creep-tastic ghost movies. Maybe you can see that ghost movie with Snoop Dog... Should make you laugh fo' shizzle my newly welcomed nizzle.

Hope the sage smudging went well! The only other thing I can think of was this thing my best friend's gramma taught me, which is to burn lavender sticks (dried lavender in bundles) in each room and think cleansing thoughts. Apparently, you're supposed to pick a room, wave the smoldering lavender sticks around, thinking good thoughts and then move on to the next room. Granted, it could be like the clapping-to-keep-the-tigers-away trick, but it's worth a shot. Besides, I really like the smell of lavender.

hope it helps,
Christina

Post Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:19 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: