Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

MFA

Do you have an MFA?
YES
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NO
100%
 100%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 6

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
TATATA

MFA  Reply with quote  

How many of you have an MFA?

I just finished up my first writing class. The instructor talked about MFA, and I kinda spaced. How important is it? How useful is it? How necessary is it? How easy or difficult is it to get?

If you have one where did you get it? And how was your experience with that program?

Mae West

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

MFA? You mean a Master's degree in Fine Arts?

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TATATA

Ummm, I don't know, I spaced.

Thought maybe it was Mother Fucking Attitude......

Mae West

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

Sounds reasonable. Yes, you should have one. It'll probably do you more good than a Masters in Fine Arts, assuming your intent is to write rather than to teach.

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zendao42

Attitude rarely goes to waste... Twisted Evil

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sephonae

For the record, I don't have an MFA, in anything. But here's what I think: A Master of Fine Arts in Writing can be helpful in that you have very regimented classes, workshops, one-on-one conferences with teachers, etc., which essentially force you to write (as opposed to writing in your "spare time" which, as we know, requires tremendous discipline if it's to be done on a remotely regular basis). Contacts made while in MFA in Writing programs (teachers, guest lecturers who are published authors, the college's career development office and alumni office) can also be helpful. But, of course, many, many, many folks have found commercial success as writers without benefit of an MFA (or even a Bachelor degree)! And I'm sure there are also many folks with degrees coming out the wazoo who will never achieve success with their writing, regardless of how many "ins" they've got.

MFA degrees generally take about two years to complete on a full-time basis. Many colleges offer part-time study, which will of course increase the length of time required to complete the program. A Bachelor's degree is usually required to enter a Master's program. Depending on the college, some may require a BA in English, Writing, or related program -- others may stipulate only that you have a Bachelor degree from an accredited institution. It's also possible that some colleges may require GRE (Graduate Record Examination) scores. When applying to any school it's a good idea to check out that school's admissions pages online to see what's required (more and more colleges and universities are moving away from printed materials and directing prospective applicants to their websites).

Here's a search engine we recommend to folks inquiring about degrees my school doesn't offer: http://www.petersons.com/
You can look up schools by interest, or location, or a number of factors.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:18 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: