Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

How to pitch an idea

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
urhangovergirl

How to pitch an idea  Reply with quote  

So I have this idea for a book. It's not novel or anything, I just think it would be very marketable. I don't really want to write the whole thing, and was thinking of trying to pitch it to someone who would want to put their name on it.

To be frank, I was thinking of something like Jon Stewart and the Daily Show because of the history book that he put out. I think it would be a nice complement to that. Anyone know how to go about something like that?

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

So, what's the idea? We need details...

Also, before I forget-
I think we could use a thread of writing exercises in this forum if there's not one already-
anybody know?

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sephonae

Re: How to pitch an idea  Reply with quote  

That's a great question, urhangovergirl, but I must admit to being clueless. I was thinking maybe you'd just write him a one-page letter with a concise summary of your idea? Although I think that when you pitch an idea it's usually 'cause you want to work on the project?

Zen, if there's such a thread, I don't think it's been active in ages. Love the idea though! Let's do it! Very Happy

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
urhangovergirl

I don't want to give my idea yet Embarassed I don't know anything about copyrighting ideas or anything-and if I wanna shop it around I'm not sure I want to disclose it all just yet. You know-not on the net.

But it's pretty awesome. At least I think so.

And I DO want to work on it! But I can't do it all, it's a little bigger than just me. I was reading stuff about it online, but it was all for non-fiction. This isn't non-fiction. But they were saying to have marketing charts, and all this other stuff! I could write up a little bit of it. What would be a good page count, like maybe a ten pages of story? For an idea?

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:43 am   View user's profile Send private message
Wingnut

about copyrighting - 1)put your idea on paper. 2)Enclose said paper in envelope. 3)Mail envelope to yourself. 4)DO NOT open the envelope once you receive it. Just put it in a drawer or filing cabinet. Then, if anyone steals your idea, you have proof that you thought of it first (the postmark date).

I'd love to do some writing exercises! Great idea!

"Life's too short to get wrapped around the axle about the little things." - SK

-The First Law of Geography: Everything is Connected to Everything Else.

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
urhangovergirl

Can you do that with email? Cuz if it's acceptable, I will totally post it, as I have already emailed it out.

/i wouldn't mind some writing exercises!

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

check into pre-registering the copyright - it's designed for works being shopped. Cost $100.00 and protects the work from unscrupulous agents and producers until it's copyrighted. I'm unsure of all the precise rules for it, but it may be just what you need. Go to www.copyright.gov/

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

Ideas are a dime a dozen. They're not worth anything if you're not willing to do the work. (And frankly, if you're not willing to do the work, it's not that great an idea, is it?)

You can't copyright an idea, you can only copyright the execution of an idea.

Good luck.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
urhangovergirl

thanks for that link Ginjg!

/ Razz I plan on doing work! I just don't want to do all of it, because then it would suck. I'm trying to make it not suck...

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:32 am   View user's profile Send private message
knikkki

If it's non-fiction, you can write the proposal before you do all the writing.

There are tons of books out there on how to write a non-fiction book proposal.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:25 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
J.B.Chamberlin

Wingnut wrote:
about copyrighting - 1)put your idea on paper. 2)Enclose said paper in envelope. 3)Mail envelope to yourself. 4)DO NOT open the envelope once you receive it. Just put it in a drawer or filing cabinet. Then, if anyone steals your idea, you have proof that you thought of it first (the postmark date).

I'd love to do some writing exercises! Great idea!

I thought I heard somewhere that that doens't work. If someone has an "idea" but never does anything with it.. they don't own that idea.

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:09 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zendao42

I just now found the PM you sent...
(sorry, spam filter sabotaged my e-mail notification & power outages took care of the rest) Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, without revealing any specifics, I think it'd make a good board game-
which is odd since I don't generally play games of any sort-
but what do you think?

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
urhangovergirl

Oh don't worry! I knew you would get it sooner or later! And yeah, I see what you mean. A boardgame would probably be easier than a book. But I was thinking of making it a little more adult...not XXX adult, but...

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:48 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: