Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Mixing Themes

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sugarraydodge

Mixing Themes  Reply with quote  

I don't know why, but for the last few months I have become obsessed with the idea of aliens abducting vampires. The image of a female vampire going ballistic on board a UFO or said UFO hovering over Dracula's castle have constantly been in my mind. But I can't seem to make it work on paper.

Has anyone here tried to mix two wildly different themes like this? If so, how did you make it work. If not, why do you feel it didn't work?

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

Well, it's not something I wrote, but they did something like that on one of the soaps (PORT CHARLES)...

They'd had vampires on for a while & during they last few months before it got cancelled, they had a werewolf-
of course, she wasn't actually revealed to be a werewolf until the very last episode, but...
At one point, one of the vampires bit her & got violently ill...

Probably not helpful, but it was fun to watch anyway!

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Boota

I like the concept.

I haven't written anything like that, but I ran a Werewolf roleplaying game one time where the players' pack was abducted by aliens. It was fun.

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:20 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

aliens and vampires is synergy at its best - take it and run run run with it. Maybe throw in a zombie here and there too.

Go go go!

B

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:45 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

Plan 9 from Outer Space mixed aliens with vampires in the plot, but I haven't seen it in a long time, and that movie made so little sense to me that I can't remember whether the two groups interact or appear separate from each other.

Styoopid, styoopid!

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
urhangovergirl

when I was younger I used to do a lot of mixed themes in my work...back when I had angst and therefore creativity...

anywho's Ive always found you should have a good idea of why they need each other. what is it that the aliens want from the vampire? If they are going after vampires, specifically, there has to be a reason, and they would have to make special environments on the ufo and stuff. I dunno, maybe you already have that down...

/in plan 9 it was the aliens who made the vampires...and zombies...out of dead people.

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:18 am   View user's profile Send private message
Thom

I have a friend who owns a comic book store and saw a story like this in some anthology (which I can't remember the name of at this point). The basic gist was this...

Gray Roswell Aliens abduct young woman
Woman turns into Werewolf
Werewolf tears up the UFO and rips through a bunch of aliens
UFO crashes, aliens die, Werewolf wanders away
Woman wakes up the next day

Or something like that. Personally, I love mash-ups like that. I remember a Superman vs Vampire thing in one of those monster comics I read as a young lad (Creepy? Eeerie? Heavy Metal? Some short-lived Eighties thing? I have no idea, but I remember a Grahan Wilson-looking superhero fighting a vampire)

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Thom

Now that I think of it, there's also Zombies vs Robots by Chris Ryall and Ashley Wood, as well as its follow-up Zombies vs Robots vs Amazons.

Anything is possible.

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:40 am   View user's profile Send private message
sugarraydodge

I did it! Mere moments ago I typed in the words THE END to my an alien gets abducted by a vampire novel. It was by far the hardest of any of my novels to write, and I'm pretty pleased how it all ended up. Kinda bummed, though. Now that its over I don't know what to write about next...

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jillopy

Congrats on finishing, SRD.

Just to let you know, I ordered your book Happy Valley on Amazon. Unfortunately, I ordered it with my pre-orders of Fool and B is for Beer so Amazon says I won't get it until sometime in February. Confused Looking forward to it anyway!

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sugarraydodge

Jillopy wrote:
Congrats on finishing, SRD.

Just to let you know, I ordered your book Happy Valley on Amazon. Unfortunately, I ordered it with my pre-orders of Fool and B is for Beer so Amazon says I won't get it until sometime in February. Confused Looking forward to it anyway!

Cool! Smile

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

sugarraydodge wrote:

I did it! Mere moments ago I typed in the words THE END to my an alien gets abducted by a vampire novel. It was by far the hardest of any of my novels to write, and I'm pretty pleased how it all ended up. Kinda bummed, though. Now that its over I don't know what to write about next...

Oh, I'm sure you'll think of something... Wink

Whatcha gonna name your latest baby?
Or are you calling it an alien gets abducted by a vampire?

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sugarraydodge

zendao42 wrote:
sugarraydodge wrote:

Oh, I'm sure you'll think of something... Wink

Whatcha gonna name your latest baby?
Or are you calling it an alien gets abducted by a vampire?

I'm calling it The Tumbleweed Dossier. It takes place in a fiction Texas town called Tumbleweed, that's what makes it funny... or not. Whatever...

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:23 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mllefifi

sugarraydodge wrote:
I did it! Mere moments ago I typed in the words THE END to my an alien gets abducted by a vampire novel. [...] Now that its over I don't know what to write about next...

How about something completely opposite?

A vampire gets abducted by an alien.
Wink

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:14 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Oliverbritten

mllefifi wrote:
sugarraydodge wrote:
I did it! Mere moments ago I typed in the words THE END to my an alien gets abducted by a vampire novel. [...] Now that its over I don't know what to write about next...

How about something completely opposite?
    A vampire gets abducted by an alien.
Wink

How about something crazy, like an alien gets abducted by a vampire Shocked

Post Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:36 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: