Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Politics As Usual
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Amigo

Politics As Usual  Reply with quote  

Just in case you're still hopeful that our next President will, "bring the change we've all been waiting for," this should be a wake-up call.

Sorry folks, it's politics as usual. He isn't even in office yet, and he's already pandering to the "social conservatives." And I don't care to hear any palaver about, "reaching across the aisle," thank you.

Post Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:51 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

If I practiced Rick Warren's "logic," I'd go around saying that bigotry is the same as Hitlerism and Stalinism.

If I practiced Rick Warren's "logic," I'd go around saying that gluttony was the same as hoarding and stealing food -- causing the starvation of other people, including "unborn babies."

And this weekend he's saying in his sermon that he "loves" gays? Yeah, you can just FEEL the "love."

Yet another example of a "spiritual" leader who demonstrates a primary interest in making life as conducive as possible to the perpetuation of his prejudices in this world.

I'd rather associate with a thousand loving same-sex couples than with any one "Christian" like Warren, Falwell, Robertson, et al.

EDIT: Oh, and as for Obama's poor choice in this regard, if I were to attend the inauguration, I'd turn my back to the podium during the invocation.

It is ironic that Obama is trying to put respect for science back in the White House. Too bad he doesn't see that his stance on same-gender marriage is as uninformed and backward as anti-miscegenation laws were, back in the day when his parents spawned him.

Post Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
urhangovergirl

really? seriously?

It's an invocation, as far as I'm concerned it might as well be a clown on stage, so I don't think any choice he could have made would make me happy. Or everyone else happy either. You're never gonna win everyone's approval when it comes to religion. Plain and simple. If he wants to "pander" to the social conservatives, I'd rather he do it with some trifle of a ritual than by putting them in a real place of power.

Tactless? Yes. First BIG mistake? fuck no.

Post Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:38 am   View user's profile Send private message
LostInWalmart

friends close

enemies closer

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:49 am   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

Anyone who expects Obama to be perfect or the second coming is a tard. He's a politician so there's always some bullshit he'll pull that will leave us thinking "WTF!"

That said, this decision doesn't suddenly negate everything he promised and to think it does is also retarded. Seriously, there is no one thing that means disaster or success, whether it be a President, an economy, or a life.

I wish people could realise that for once rather than "sub-prime lending is the only reason for economic disaster", "poor appointment of invocation person is total failure for Obama", "sleeping with one fat chick that one time at university is total failure for..." well, you get the picture.

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:48 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Wonko

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
... "sleeping with one fat chick that one time at university is total failure for..." well, you get the picture.

Still trying to live that one down, are you?

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:54 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fortune cookie

That was soooo not worth my time. Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:00 am   View user's profile Send private message
Skippykelly

Hey! Fat chicks need love too. As do us fat guys. By the way, all my best lovers have been women of size.

As for the invocation. Who cares? Anyone?? Anyone?? Bueler?? That's what I thought. Only the drama queens who need to scream about something care, and if it wasn't this it would be something else.

You can please some of the people all the time and all the people some of the the time, the rest of em can just BITE ME.

He's smart (Obama), not impulsive, and cares about the country which is a shitload more than can be said for the majority of the idiots we've put in that chair.

Fuckin snow is making me grouchy...

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Amigo

More From the "Tard Drama Queen"  Reply with quote  

More of why I find this so disconcerting can be found HERE.

I guess my expectations were just too high. My bad.

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Skippykelly

Amigo wrote:
Quote:
I guess my expectations were just too high. My bad.

What? You don't like fat chicks?

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message
fortune cookie

All that did for me was show how some people want their Kate and Edith too.
Fuck, Amigo I expect better from you.
Those halfwits damn near made the case FOR Warren.
Sometimes you gotta let even the assholes play, so later on,
when they're needed, they'll be willing to play again.

I especially enjoyed the,"divide and conquer" ref.
Yeah, nobody but "Warren" is trying that ploy.
If they had merely made their plea to Obama himself, MAYBE,
things might have went better.

As it is, Warren is getting a whole lot more attention and media coverage
then he may have, if such a fuss hadn't been made.

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Tito

This choice actually gives me hope, not because I agree with the preacher, gay people should have the right to be miserable and have messy divorces just like everyone else, but because it shows Obama doesn't feel beholden to anyone and is willing to be his own man.

Who'd have thought it? Me, defending Obama.

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vampirelover

I think Obama is "playing" the game really well!!
He is shaking hands on both sides, giving everyone a voice whether it be a preacher (who was already pretty well known) or the people he has put in his cabinet.......
To me he is a great strategist and it seems he is very well intentioned. I alos agree that it is great thta he is "his own man" and isn't kneeling at anyone's feet!!

Personally, I don't understnad how same-sex marriage can be banned at all. Separation of Church and State remeber.....it is only the majority of conversative christians who really care....... The same thing with abortion....
(personally, I don't agree but where do you draw the line.....what about a rape victim? idk.....) but when christinas fight it because they are christians I hate thata because what you do is between you and God before it ever between you and the govt. The govt can punish you for now, God can really punish youand do it for all eternity!!!!

Sorry, I ranted........

"I love you, even more than pie" -FOOL

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mllefifi

vampirelover wrote:
[...] conversative christians [...]

Yeah, some of them DO talk a lot...

Wink

Last edited by mllefifi on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

Meant to Post this Earlier  Reply with quote  

This might give some perspective on the whole issue...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/melissa-etheridge/the-choice-is-ours-now_b_152947.html

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: