Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> The Author Guy Boardello Cookbook

Zen's HOMEMADE DONUTS

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
zendao42

Zen's HOMEMADE DONUTS  Reply with quote  

Finally, what I've been promising you for weeks-
this is the original recipe we've been making off & on for 25 years:

HOMEMADE DONUTS

2c Bisquick
2T sugar
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t vanilla
1 egg
1/3 c milk

COATING:
1/3 c sugar
1/2 t cinnamon

Heat oil to 375 degrees in heavy saucepan. Stir dry ingredients together. Add the rest to flour mixture. Stir until it follows the fork. Smooth dough into ball on lightly floured paper. Roll to 1/2" thick. Cut with floured donut cutter. Drop 3 or 4 holes at a time into hot fat. Cook until golden brown. Lift from oil & drain on paper towel for 1 minute. Shake in coating while still warm.

You can also coat them in melted chocolate or make a glaze with powdered sugar & water or milk-
we used to add food coloring to make it more festive...

You can make just holes if you prefer-
I don't know how to make filled donuts-
if I could do that, I'd probably try my cranberry sauce in them!

In case you want to save a little time/money by making your own Bisquick:

HOMEMADE BISQUICK

6c self-rising flour
1c Crisco

Cut shortening into flour with pastry blender or knife. Store in airtight container- this is better when it's fresher!

That one's from memory, you can also make half or a third for your recipes if you need less-
I think it a third was the right amount for biscuits...

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:07 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vampirelover

This sounds so good!! Are you trying to sabotage those of us whose resolutions were to loose weight?

You can also take Pillsbury biscuits, cut out hole in them and roll them in whatever....

Cranberry sauce filled....mmmm.... homemade though right?.
Btw, you can stuff them with a pastry bag or take a ziploc bag and cut the corner off. It would be best no matter which you use if you use an icing tip to break inot the donut.

"I love you, even more than pie" -FOOL

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
BeerGnome

oh filling donuts is easy.. just make a ball donut instead of a cut out. it helps to have a puffy donut, instead of a cakey donuts. You simply Arrogantly twist the sterile canvas snoot of a fully charged icing anointment utensil until you poot forth a quarter-ounce green rosette.... alright, enough channeling zappa...

a pastry bag with a probe tip, shoved into the side of the donut until it plumps up, but doesn't break.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
zendao42

They taste about like I remember Dolly Madison donuts-
except, of course, there's no beef fat in them... Wink

I'd have to go low tech & use the plastic bag for filling-
my semi-silly question is, do you fill them before or after cooking?

See, if they were full of cranberry sauce, they'd be sorta healthy & really festive-
never run across any like that in the store- usually, the jelly donuts are raspberry... Razz

Anyway, I wanna just go back & make the regular recipe to start
& then maybe do some tweaking on the next batch...

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:55 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vampirelover

Fill them after cooking!!

I think people should make home-made cranberry jelly all year long and use it as Jelly!! Personally I love it on toast in the morning and I think it would be great as jelly in other ways too!!

"I love you, even more than pie" -FOOL

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mllefifi

I prefer my jelly donuts to be filled with lard instead of jelly.

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
BeerGnome

mllefifi wrote:
I prefer my jelly donuts to be filled with lard instead of jelly.

that kinda like my favorite out of the way donut shack.. the Boston cream is evil good.

I'm not normally a fan of the filled donut. but my god, I'm addicted to those things. If I hit three, I run the risk of diabetic shock.

there are two types of dounts, yeast, and cake.

the only mainstream examples?

dunkin donuts would be cake.
Krispy Kream would be yeast.

I must make it clear, that one of my retirement dreams is getting a hold of a bunch of confectionery machines, including an antique automatic donut machine. restoring them, and putting them into operation in a like.. living treat making museum..

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
mllefifi

BeerGnome wrote:
[...] there are two types of dounts, yeast, and cake. [...]

A bagel is a donut dipped in cement.

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

mllefifi wrote:
BeerGnome wrote:

[...] there are two types of dounts, yeast, and cake. [...]

A bagel is a donut dipped in cement.

I'd try them with peanut butter or cream cheese instead, just saying... Wink

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: