Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Hunter S. Thompson

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
suetu

Hunter S. Thompson  Reply with quote  

Chris,

It's nice to find your words here. I'm actually at work today, but I've spent the entire morning reading Thompson obits and tributes. I've been so sad to learn of his death. How it happened. The icons of my youth are dying off. When will the world ever spawn another character like Hunter S. Thompson? In this day and age, unthinkable.

It's been years since I picked up Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or The Great White Shark Hunt. I read these things when I was young. I read so many things when I was really young and wanted to suck up as much collective knowledge of the universe as possible. Now I'm old and think I know it all. I don't have to search that hard anymore.

So, yeah, feeling sort of old and sad in a way I don't entirely understand. Thompson was really before my time, but he was still a part of my youth. I'll miss having him around.

Susan

http://inoneeyeouttheother.blogspot.com/

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sgt_steve

My favorite Hunter Thompson moment came in 'Rolling Stone' in 1974. Thompson had clearly been writing an article about how Nixons downfall was inevitable when, with the article about half-way done, Nixon resigned. No, I don't mean I was half-way through the article. I mean Thompson was half-way through writing the article. So rather than go back and start a new article, or re-write with the new facts, Thompson launched into one of the most scathing, scurrious, profanely funny rants it has ever been my pleasure to read. He upbraided Nixon up one side and down the other for daring to resign rather than sit there and be impeached. My God, it went on for pages - and 'Rolling Stone' had pretty durned big pages and no big print back then. A seminal moment.

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

I was driving off to work this morning when I heard Duke had died. My first reaction was to take my eyes off of the road and stare that the radio wondering if it was true. This wasnít a Fox News station; it was NPR so it must have been true. Later it came on about him shooting himself.

He was a favourite writer of mine when I was a kid. I was in High School when I first picked up Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and then I moved on to his epic book about the Hells Angels.

I have a hint for anyone: If you want to get out of jury duty, bring a book of his along and if the DA has any brains in his or her head he/she will pass on you. If you are republican then take a copy of Parliament of Whores by PJ O. it works just the same.

My favourite moment in his books was when he told off some guy at a bar about the problem with Ollie North. What a bastard he was. Anyway this guy was spouting off about the soldiers getting killed and then would defend North. Thompson told this guy that we sold them the weapons and North was in on it. Needless to say, it didnít go over very well.

It didnít go over well because it was the truth. Harry Truman said ďI donít give emí hell. I just tell them the truth and they think its hell.Ē That was Thompson. He told you what he thought and could care less whether you liked it or not.

Quote:
In Better than Sex he wrote:

Richard Nixon is gone now, and I am poorer for it. He was the real thing- a political monster straight out of Grendel and a very dangerous enemy. He could shake your hand and stab you in the back at the same time. He lied to his friends and betrayed the trust of his family. Not even Gerald Ford, the unhappy ex-president who pardoned Nixon and kept him out of prison, was immune to the evil fallout. Ford, who believes strongly in heaven and hell told more than one of his celebrity golf partners that, ďI know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon.Ē

I have had my own blood relationship with Nixon for many years, but I am not worried about it landing me in hell with him. I have been there with that bastard, and I am a better person for it.

Driving into work I wanted to pull into the nearest gas station and fill my tyres to twice their capacity, soak the carpets with some illegal substance and drive off in the sunset but life gets in the way as it always does. He was a maverick writer and for a teenager and now nearing thirty five year old, he was someone we lived through.

I had a speech of his on my old computer but when it bit it I lost the speech. However just like Douglas Adams when I read anything he wrote I hear his voice. It is usually drunk of screwed up in some way but I still hear it. Vonnegut, as I have said, is the same.

These are people you want to keep on living but what lives, dies. Thompson was a nutcase but he was the liberalís nutcase just as that pill popping fat ass is for republicans and that bald phone sex freak OhhhReally.

I donít want to offend people but he offended people with the truth and made reading enjoyable for me the same way Douglas did or Kurt. It was a different point of view that he offered and that was what was good about him.

Rest in Peace you crazy bastard.

BTW: If I were to make a list of my heroís it would look something like this:

1: Kurt Vonnegut
2: Hunter S Thompson
3: Mark Twain
4: Douglas Adams
5: Shel Silverstein
Special nod to: Roald Dahl

Chris you would get the nod somewhere on the list but it would be somewhere in my current authors and that would be:

1: Nick Hornby
2: Chris Moore
(Sorry for the second place but I do like Hornby and he is in another genre so donít feel bad)
3: Dave Eggers
4: Tom Robbins
5: Alan Weisbecker (Cosmic Banditos anyone?)

With a special mention to Tom Holt, Matt Ruff, Sue Townsend, David Sedaris, and that guys name that I canít spell and am too lazy to get up and walk across the room to one of my many bookshelves to see how his name is spelled who wrote the book The Bear Went over the Mountain which I read because it was on your homepage in the recs.

ta,

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dvorah70

a great man...  Reply with quote  

Only in the last year was my husband introduced to the insanity. I got him to watch Fear and Loathing and he was completely smitten. Now I really need to go dig out my copy of the book for him to really get the full effect.

I was saddened to hear that he shot himself. Alas, if I were in such pain, I'd probably be thinking the same way....

Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message
JillyB

I thought it was cool to have my dad's ashes dropped from a model airplane (it's six years today that he died. RIP too Dad) , but it's even better with Thompson: He's having his shot out of a CANNON. Now how rich is that???

Post Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:32 am   

We Are SO DAMN LUCKY  Reply with quote  

In CM's post, he said:

"Richard Brautigan, Douglas Adams, and now Hunter Thompson. My heroes have always been writers. And even though I never met these guys, never shared a meal, never wrote a letter to them, when they pass, it rattles my soul."

&:

"Iím sure that it wouldnít have made any difference to either of them that they inspired and enabled a mid-list comic novelist, and Brautigan sprayed his cerebral Rustoleum all over the walls long before I published my first book, but somehow I feel like they should have known. Like I should have sent a thank-you note. Thereís a profound and palpable sense of loss."

And the reason I say we are lucky is that we did get to share a meal with our author, we did get to send a thankyou note. We get to talk to you if we want to, CM, and I hope you now really get why I'm so grateful for that meal and will never forget a moment of it. We never have to wonder whether you understand that we love you for doing what you do, that we enjoy your company, wish you well, and think you're a good hugger.

P.S. Along with rock music and some certain films, Douglas Adams saved my life in highschool. The grief I felt when he died was that of someone who had really needed him just when he came along. He was mine, my author and I only wish I could've told him so, told him thanks.

Post Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:22 pm   
CatherineLSHQ

That was me, Catherine (above)  Reply with quote  

I sometimes have trouble logging in as myself, but it's me. THe LSHQ is how I affectionately refer to my blog: http://laughingsky.blogspot.com Please stop by and visit.

Post Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:27 pm   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: