Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

Who wants to help me gat a job at Barnes and Noble?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Elliot

Who wants to help me gat a job at Barnes and Noble?  Reply with quote  

Short story:

Radio Shack wants to fire me so I'm looking for more gainful employment. So I need tips and hints on working for Barnes and Noble *cough* Hazel *cough*

Long Story:

Remember after thanksgiving when I mentioned that my supervisor was let go? No? Well he was and we got this 21 year old snot from a store across town. Right then I wanted to quit but I couldn't cause my GI. Bill was being cut down to Half as much and just barely breaking rent money. Peachy, so I stuck with it. The holidays passed, and We had lost one co worker but she was lazy and deserved it. We had already complained about being overstaffed and then we got the hot lesbian working for us. That was all fine and dandy. Turns out she was from the new bosses store on the other side of town that I live next to. Hmm, curious but no problem there, as long as I'm still getting hours. Then, right after my birthday, there are two more people from his old store and a new guy from god knows where. Now my hours are cut from 24 a week to 9. I told my supervisor that I needed more hours then that. he said he was sorry but since the lesbian traveled so far she needs more hours too. OK Great but I've worked here longer, apparently senority doesn't count for squat. Today I get called in the office and the supervisor is telling me that my sales aren't up to par, but guess what? The
employees that he brought over from his store are the best this store has seen. Well aint that just fucking convenient. I tried to get transferred to the store he came from and they're all full up.

So now, before they fire me, I'm going to Barnes and Noble, and anywhere else in the shopping center next to me to get a new job, I'd really like the barnes and noble one though. Any tips?

My Twitter is twittering!

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sara Leigh

Talk about books a lot? Not just CM books. Show a broad range. That's all I want if I'm talking to an employee in a bookstore, somebody who knows about books. You could mention your communications/technology experience with the Army. Couldn't hurt.

I know. Lame. I haven't applied for a job in about 25 years.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:13 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lavandula Girl

Elliot - as a former store manager, and retail district manager, I can tell you that you MUST NOT badmouth your current or former positions when you interview for a new one. You can say that you're looking for a new job because you want to be closer to work, or that your hours were cut, but not because you are being unfairly treated. It absolutely doesn't matter if it's true or not. Stress your availability, ability to be a team player, military service, organizational skills, etc. Don't mention past housing issues, disagreements with store management, any money troubles etc.

I know it doesn't sound fair, but you want to make yourself look like you don't NEED to change jobs desperately, but that you want to. You can say something along the lines of enjoying customer service related jobs but finding yourself more drawn to B&N than what Radio Shack sells. Just say it in a non-bullshitty way, know what I mean?

Retail managers will avoid people who seem desperate for more money, as there is a lot of employee theft in retail. They will avoid people who seem to be in housing transition, as that may end up putting an employee far away from their job, or needing days off to move, etc. Anyone who comes in saying they can't work certain hours generally doesn't get hired, unless the manager is looking to cover a very specific shift. Prospective employees who badmouth their current of former jobs are viewed as trouble, as well. While you could very well be in the right on a situation at Radio Shack, you will come off as whiny.

Good luck at the job hunt!

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:49 am   View user's profile Send private message
Klari

Also, as far as they're concerned it's he said she said on your treatment at Radio Shack and they could view it as someone who will jump ship as soon as they are given any kind of constructive criticism. Employers are looking for people to be reliable.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:10 am   View user's profile Send private message
Laveric

Judging from Dieve's B&N the most important thing is having an open schedule. The number of people trying to apply for a few hours a day is just staggering. Good attitude seems to be optional... ability to count to ten also seems to be lacking sometimes (at least in many of her coworkers over the years). The standard interview format (which most do not deviate from) does not include any questions about books or authors... so try and get it in, but I would not expect them to ask.

Also be prepared to wait a long, long, time before they hire you. It was about 3mo before they called and asked Dieve to work. Fortunately compared to working at Burger King it was an easy trade.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:15 am   View user's profile Send private message
Jillybeans

It's not you. A lot of retail places are closing down, shrinking their work force and it's who you know and whether they like you if they keep you on. My bills are piling up and I've got collection agencies calling friends (which is illegal and some of my friends are distancing themselves from me. I don't blame them). I found out the company I'm suing has just shut down after less than three years and my attorney hasn't let me know if it's worth it to pursue the suit. I hate not knowing. Try not to take what Radio Shack says personally. If they haven't fired you yet stay on but keep looking. Take what LG says to heart as I badmouthed an employer once and I didn't get the job even if the compulsion is overwhelming. It's not something I'd do again. The job market is tight right now especially less than two weeks after the incumbent president was inaugurated.

Wade Davis (I knew there was a reason I liked Wade Davis)

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:31 am   View user's profile Send private message
Vixen Jules

A good start would be to spell everything right on your application.

(Psst: check title of thread)

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:13 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Watching The Wheels

Wear pants.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sephonae

LG pretty much nailed it, in the advice area. Show 'em you're a book lover, not just looking to get any other job, but that you really dig what they're sellin'. The receptionist in my office really won us over at her interview by showing how enthusiastic she was about the job--and she was fresh out of college so less experienced than some other folks we interviewed. But because she conveyed how much she wanted the gig (not needed it), she got it--and we love her.

Best of luck, El!!!!!

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
HazelRah

Elliot, if you have any questions , I'm glad to assist and offer pointers. Perhaps in chatzy?

Lavandula Girl hit it on the nose.

I've done many interviews over the years for BnN. To fill various positions. I used to work at a store that did interviews every Weds for 2hrs ,regardless if we needed to fill a position.Looking for the perfect candidate. When a candidate starts going off on their previous job woes,NEXT!!!

They may not have positions. Sorry to say, even regardless of the current state of the economy,but this month is when we cut hours , big time. Payroll is tight. And the worse sales stay, the danger of having even fewer hours to offer.

AVAILABILITY is key. Even if part time. I always look for at least one weekend day availability. Someone available for only 4 hrs here,4 hrs there,and often only in the evening is not of any use to a store.If you bring to the table a list of demands for days off...you will not be hired. You havent earned your keep yet to ask for time off. If you are taking the time to interview for the job because you want to work at the store, than you need to be ready to work at the store. Today, not tomorrow. Though not literally. Just dont have a request , Oh Im ready to start working,but....I will need the week of so n so off. NEXT!!

If the store has a Cafe, be willing to learn how to work in that area. Expressed interest and willingness to be cross trained gets their attention and opens you up for more hours. You could find yourself working full time hrs , parts in cafe, parts in books.

Taking even a part time position can work out well. You may find yourself working entirely at the cashwrap, or info desk, or both. But getting your foot in the door is a start. I was hired as a part time employee, and almost immediately started working full time hrs because I was both available and interested..Then promoted within a year

I always started my interviews by talking books with the individual, or rather getting them to talk about books.Done both to warm them up and shake off the nervousness.Dont be shy.I have better things to do with my time than sit there with someone who can't hold a conversation.

Do NOT just say "I like to read" as the reason you want to work at BnN.In many a interview that was the reason given for applying and when I followed up with "what do you enjoy to read?" The person would inevitibly stumbled over the answer or go quiet. I usually know by this interaction whether or not I would be interested in hiring the person without the questions that come next.

Chatzy with you later

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
zendao42

Looks like they got it covered:
as many hours as possible, any shift, books rock & you know their names...

Vixen Jules wrote:

A good start would be to spell everything right on your application.

(Psst: check title of thread)

Yeah, gat sounds like you're ready to go postal... Shocked

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Deive

Your schedule needs to be open. You should dress decently. I've never had any manager ask anyone what they read or how much they read. Try not to dress like you just rolled out of bed. Also be prepared not to hear anything for a few months. reapply every three months. The easiest time to get hired is august September because of Christmas.

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:07 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
girlEgirl

((((ELLIOT)))) good luck with barnes and noble, but you might should put in applications at other places too. i get the impression that book stores are like movie stores in that they are a little less sucky as far as retail hell jobs and therefore more in demand.

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lavandula Girl

Elliot - if I can make a suggestion... not to bash any other retail endeavors, but grocery stores are going to be more recession-proof than any other retail type business, and in Washington, they're UNION. Just sayin'. Safeway has good benes, for sure. Most likely you won't get full time, but there's job security with the union on your side. (I'm not a big fan of unions, but I do know it's wicked hard to get rid of an employee who belongs to one! Wink ) Plus, many, if not all of them, are now open 24 hours. There are premiums for working the later shifts. Plus, as the AG has mentioned in a chapter or two, it's a good way to meet hot vamp women.

Oh, and PS... Safeway has a huge distribution and manufacturing center in Bellevue. Easy bus ride, all union, and that's DEFINITELY a job that isn't going anywhere.

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:11 am   View user's profile Send private message
Deive

I agree. You should put in a lot of applications. Everywhere you can. Only place I wouldn't put in if I lost my job today would be fast food and only because I can't do it anymore. I'd try for something where I could sit but it's hard times.

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: