Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> The Author Guy Boardello Cookbook

Wings

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Skippykelly

Wings  Reply with quote  

Sorry about the timeliness of this post, but it just occurred to me as I was answering one of my friends on Facebook how to make my Hooters style wings.

You need:
Wings (duh)
flour
spices - salt, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, whatever you think would be good
butter
oil
Crystal's Hot sauce (my preference)

Mix your flour and spices up so the spice is evenly distributed. Cut up the wings and toss em in the bowl of flour and spice. roll em around a little and let them sit for about 15 minutes. The skin will soak up the flour and spice and the wings will get sticky. You can toss em up and roll them around again, or just put them in the pot of hot oil at this point, depending on how much breading you like. Fry them for about 5 minutes or so. They ought to float when they're done, but with chicken you can never be too careful so a few extra minutes won't hurt. Pull them out and drain on paper towels. Melt the butter and mix in your favorite hot sauce. Spoon the butter - hot sauce mix over the top of the wings and enjoy.

I like to add a little BBQ sauce to the hot sauce butter combo as well to give it a little sweet hot thing going on.

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message
BeerGnome

sounds fun!

check out what I do..

wings, duh...

spice mixture.. I am a firm beliver in the rule of three when it comes to heat. the rule of three? well that's easy, equal parts of Black, white, and red pepper. It's as simple as that.

of course.. you get to play a little bit with the red pepper, I've been playing with a ground smoked chirazo...

the next secret? sugar.

sugar?

yes.. I mix the spices with the sugar and toss the wings in that. then the wings are baked until done.

the point of the sugar? as the wings bake.. the sugar melts and caramelizes. And in that the spices adhere to the wings directly.

now, while they are baking.. get your self a one pound pack of unsalted butter, melt it down either in the microwave, or a double boiler and then add to that your favorite hot pepper sauce. for me, it's Texas Pete, don't laugh.. it's very nice for what it is and more to the fact.. it's traditional for buffalo style wings.

for some food history.. the original buffalo wings were simply flour tossed wings that were being scrapped, deep fried, then tossed in a butter hot sauce mixture that was 2 cups of butter, to one cup of Texas Pete hot sauce.

where was I?

oh yes... a a pound of butter, and two cups of hot sauce

the wings should be spicy enough out of the oven, toss them with the sauce for some more fun.
of course.. serve with blue cheese dressing and celery stalks

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: