Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> YOU SUCK: A Love Story

but...but...

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Overshine

but...but...  Reply with quote  

so i've read a few books now. safe to say i'm a CM fan and will continue to read more books. i used to be way into the vampire genre, but eventually got very very sick of it...however you suck was a great alternate take on it, mostly thanks to Abby Normal. She turns the more broody, grunge-rock era, inbreedy vampires of Poppy Z. Brite on their heads. Which, after having some time to celebrate the fact i survived and escaped adolescence, i found rather fantastic.

But...

Despite my newfound love for these recurring characters, I cannot get over one thing...

a 26 year old putting up and falling in love with a 19 year old? I know Jody was supposed to have 'issues' with men and dating...but still I'd think that would make her more mature and even less likely to put up such an idiot like Flood. Granted, I'm not the author, and it wasn't my decision to make. But in reading I just had the damndest time suspending my disbelief that a 26 year old who knew herself to be attractive (except for those GD 5 lbs) and suddenly inheriting creature-of-the-night confidence...would be able to put upwith such a doofus. For the purposes of having a bitch? Sure. But voluntarily choosing to turn said 19 year old moron into eternal companion? the very thought makes my flesh crawl. I mean...never mind people picking over Abby's speech patterns...has anyone tried to spend time in a romantic fashion with a guy under the age of 27 in the past 15 years? (for the most part) ugh!

But good for fictional Jody if that works for her. it just got in my way of getting into the story. they just didn't really seem to fit.

side note. the character of call girl blue and her effed up 7 dwarves fantasy was hysterical...although I wondered who she was picturing her necrophiliac prince charming to be (hey...what prince do you know who goes around kissing dead girls?)

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message
JouleZ

From personal experience, when I was a divorced 32YO my BF was 21 so I'm not gonna judge on the age difference. Older women choose young men for a reason. That's all I'm gonna say. Laughing

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Overshine

I respect that.But there's a world of difference between 19 and 21. Namely....bars. Cool

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Watching The Wheels

Overshine wrote:
I respect that.But there's a world of difference between 19 and 21. Namely....bars. Cool

No. Not really. If you can't get into a bar at 19, you're not trying hard enough. Very Happy

Actually, speaking as a doofy 23-year-old, the Tommy and Jody dynamic really worked for me. Their relationship didn't seem any different than any relationship I've been in (save the whole vampire thing), and sometimes it struck way too close to home.

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Overshine

i have joked with my friends that even though i went through a period of being frustrated with younger men when i reach cougar status i will be the one driving by the frat houses waving around six back of beer and a pizza. Laughing

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Hmmmm, so, you bought the whole vampire dynamic lock stock and barrel, and the old vampire being 800 and Jody 26 didn't bother you? Shaving the enormous cat, the Emperor of San Francisco, the Hooker painted Blue you're okay with, but the seven year age difference throws you? Hmmm.

When I was Tommy's age, and had just moved to California, I lived with a woman who was 8 years my senior. She had her reasons. I had mine. Both had something to do with enthusiasm, if I remember correctly.

Still, if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. You could pretend that vampirism made her mentally defective.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:30 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
zendao42

He's got a point, it's a work of fiction &, incidentally, his book... Wink

I'd like to point out that age is no guarantee of maturity- seriously, why 27?
If you ain't grown up by 25, it's even odds that you never will...

Mind you, all my former jailbaits are way past 30 now & thanks for sticking a MOTORHEAD song in my head... Razz

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
leprrkan

chris wrote:
Hmmmm, so, you bought the whole vampire dynamic lock stock and barrel, and the old vampire being 800 and Jody 26 didn't bother you? Shaving the enormous cat, the Emperor of San Francisco, the Hooker painted Blue you're okay with, but the seven year age difference throws you? Hmmm.

When I was Tommy's age, and had just moved to California, I lived with a woman who was 8 years my senior. She had her reasons. I had mine. Both had something to do with enthusiasm, if I remember correctly.

Still, if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. You could pretend that vampirism made her mentally defective.

We all have a line, AG... Very Happy

- "Bones"

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gretchenfaith

Huh. I found the love story between Jody and Tommy completely believable. But, in general, I find that who we fall in love with to be totally irrational. (And I speak as a divorce attorney...some of the worst divorces spring from people who are totally appropriate for each other, and some of the most surprising reconciliations from people who seem to have nothing in common.)

And as a 30-something woman, I can completely imagine what very specific talents a 19-year-old-boy might bring to a relationship with a somewhat older woman.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:01 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overshine

i'm a fan of this mentally defective as a side effect of vampirism theory. i'll run with it!

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Overshine

and yes. no problems with the shaved cat, blue hooker, or street king. all good there!

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message
spacey4

i would just like to state that the Emporer of San Fransico is on my life of best characters EVER and i wish he was my best friend, cuz the one i have now is a poop bag (i intend to tell her that to). some tourist is mean to him in the end of BSF (i think) and since im still working on that whole kicking fictional ass thing, hes totally next on the list (right after gifarh).

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message
E. Q. Taft

chris wrote:

Here I have to fall back on Dirk Gently's rejoinder to Sherlock Holmes. When quoted the famous line about "When you eliminate the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be true," he rejects this entirely, pointing out that the impossible often has an integrity the merely improbable completely lacks. Something being "impossible" just means there's something about the universe we don't understand, and there are plenty of those; but when something very improbable happens in an area of behavior we do know something about, it can ring alarm bells.

Or, to put it another way: I don't believe vampires really exist; therefore, when you make up stories about vampires, you can make them any way you want, and I'll accept it for the sake of the story; since they're not real anyway, you can say they can turn to mist and leap tall buildings in a single bound, or whatever, and I can't really question it without spoiling the story. But a normal human being doing something that we, as more-or-less normal human beings, realize a normal human being is very unlikely to do -- that can be harder to swallow....

I don't really have a problem with the Jody/Tommy relationship in particular, mind you -- I've seen far less likely pairings. I'm speaking more generally. (Also, of course, the AG is writing funny stuff -- absurdity has its own exceptions to the rules.) For instance, I find the idea of the Animals blowing a collective half a million dollars on a blue hooker to be somewhat harder to swallow than the existence of such a character in the first place...

(Another example that springs to mind, from another source: the idea that Superman puts on glasses and combs his hair differently and no one recognizes him is really kind of ridiculous, but if you're going to read or watch Superman stories at all, you just have to accept it. But when, in the most recent film, Superman and Clark Kent both disappear from Metropolis for five years and return on the same day and people still aren't the least bit suspicious -- that was pretty hard to credit...well, ok, that's not really the same kind of thing, but it's something that stuck in my craw anyway, so there. ) Razz [/i]
To get a little feel
of my own faulty bagnose.

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Vixen Jules

Re: but...but...  Reply with quote  

Overshine wrote:

a 26 year old putting up and falling in love with a 19 year old? I know Jody was supposed to have 'issues' with men and dating...but still...has anyone tried to spend time in a romantic fashion with a guy under the age of 27 in the past 15 years? (for the most part) ugh!

Two days after my 8 year divorce ordeal, I was asked out by a man 14 years younger than myself. After the divorce nightmare I would say that I too had 'issues' with men and dating and relationships. What has followed was an extremely intense and fully enriching relationship complimented with fantastic sex. He was 20 the first date and 21 on the second date, and is still part of my life.

So yeah, a mere 7 year age gap is nothing.

So yeah, being romatic with a guy under the age of 27? Nothing.

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:45 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scratte

Umm - ever hear of a show called "24" ? Kiefer Sutherland married for the first time at 21 - I assume he knew his wife for a few years before that? Young guys have lots to offer, and some are more interesting than others. When I was 26 I was damn hot, there was an 18 year old at work ... he was very smart and sweet and interesting and I would've dated him and taken him quite seriously but I didn't think it was a good idea to date someone at work, especially someone so young - if it didn't work out the meltdown would be tres awkward. Still wonder how that might've gone though... Actually, quite recently I was good platonic friends with a 19 year old and he was fascinating to talk to - we had great conversations about politics, life, the universe and everything.

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:46 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: