Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> FOOL

Question for AG - Your Evolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
mllefifi

Besides the novels, you can read two short stories and a co-written screenplay by the AG. Go to the Wikipedia article.

And don't forget to go to the AG's blog!

Cool

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

Vixen Jules wrote:
chris wrote:
Wecome. Here's the order the books were written in, since they're not all listed
on all the books anymore.

How cool is it that they won't all fit anymore?!? You have to be proud when your list is that long.

Not really that they won't fit, Jules, but that two of them are with another publisher, so there's sort of a "we won't list it if it's not ours" thing going on.

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
McFuhrball

Chris, I browsed your review of the Kindle 2 and wanted to mention that the Amazon cover I purchased holds the unit with a two hook system that works great. It costs about $30. For me, the benefits of the Kindle 2 far outweigh the negatives......great for travel and it is a lot easier to turn the page on the thing when working out. Oh yeah, I had to drive back and forth southern Idaho for work the other day, and I was enjoying Pocket's adventures so much, I hooked it up to my car audio system and used the text to speech feature. Suffice it to say the reader did not do very well with the snogging, shagging, spluging verbage so I turned it off. Listening to someone read Fool with the proper accent and emphasis on a good audio book would have to be the way to go.
(I apologize to all if this is not the proper blog to post these comments, but I, a professional wanker, don't know better)

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Rainbow_Stars

im starting Fool tomorrow.. im glad nothing ive read on here so far was a spoiler.... but i am wondering.. if i havent read the play.. am i going to be totally lost?

Chris: IIIII think you should write a book about a fuckery fairy. She exists god damnit! Nuff said.

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
chris
Site Admin

Rainbow_Stars wrote:
im starting Fool tomorrow.. im glad nothing ive read on here so far was a spoiler.... but i am wondering.. if i havent read the play.. am i going to be totally lost?

Chris: IIIII think you should write a book about a fuckery fairy. She exists god damnit! Nuff said.

Nah, Shakespeare would just ruin it for you.
Have fun.
Chris

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
zendao42

McFuhrball wrote:

I could possibly use a kind of scary photo of me in a Jimmy hat we picked up in Edinburgh last summer (which our Scots friend told us we would be total wankers for buying) but here in Idaho people think is funny, at least at our local watering hole. Maybe its the drinks. And, why can't I get the Pogues out of my head?

Question Why is a pic of you in a condom scary?
I mean, I could see funny but still, I'm not sure that'd be the best AV...

Am I the only one around here that still knows old school rap lingo?

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Chris didn't evolve. The church says that some old dude with a beard said he should be and so he was. Then the devil took him and he wrote books. Bunch of hippy scientist hippies with your evolution doobies.

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FattyFattyPorkFace

On a more serious note, I somewhat prefer the dialogue driven stories. I feel the characters are more accessible and feel more real to me when they actually speak, whether in first or third person (though first person always feels a little more intimate, for obvious reasons).

Rather than evolving (that is to say, changed from one thing to another), I get the feeling from Chris's books so far that he has honed his existing skills, learning when to use them for full effect. All of those skills seem apparent to me in each book, but they are tailored to the story being told. Therefore, in Fool, the "teaching tone" is reduced to paragraphs here and there rather than entire pages and chapters as in other works, because the concepts he is trying to convey are more well known (we know what England is, and most know what a fool is) whereas in Lamb or Fluke, the concepts can be a little less accessible (the nature of compassion, living in a desert, whale submarines, and giant gooey beings).

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:09 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Kate R

I'm glad you feel that way, since that's the way it seems to be going. I, however, LOVE the "teaching tone." I love it. I love learning about things incidentally while following characters I have an emotional connection to. I just generally like books like that, and am a huge fan of historical fiction. Plus, the world of the book feels more real to me that way. I like the dialouge too, but more in combination with the worldbuilding. Even though we already know about England in Shakespeare's time, it's nice to get the author's perspective.

That's what made me fall in love with AG's writing style. I love his use of language. One of these days I'll pull out some quotes or something to substantiate what I'm talking about. He has such command of nuance. I envy that. I spend a lot of time thinking about language anyway, since I am very nearly an interpreter. I don't have such skilled command of my first language, let alone my second. Anyway, I'm off the point.

So, anyway, I am really looking forward to the next book. Smile Hurry it up, AG.

Post Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: